GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

"The external system is not connected" error message - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-12, 08:10 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "The external system is not connected" error message - HELP!

Has anyone else encountered this error message? I can be in the car for any amount of time and my iPod (vaistech unit) will cut off with an error message on the navigation that says "The external system is not connected" and it will not correct itself for a few hours. While this error message is displayed, the radio nor iPod will work at all. I can try turning the radio on and off, and it makes no difference. I also lose control over the volume, which remains set at the volume it was at when the error message appeared -turning the volume **** has no impact. Most recently when this happened, I turned the system off but it kept playing the radio regardless of whether or not the system was on or off. I also had no control over the volume.

I can turn the car on and off several times and it makes no difference. The car will randomly correct the issue, a few minutes to a few hours later. I thought that turning the car off might cycle the system and correct it, but it is not so.

This has been happening with more frequency lately, so I am hoping that someone knows of a fix. Some of you may also know about my flashing purple navigation screen, so I am not sure if all of this isn't adding up to some electrical failure or wiring problem.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-30-15, 05:30 PM
GS300OC
Rookie

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Has anyone else encountered this error message? I can be in the car for any amount of time and my iPod (vaistech unit) will cut off with an error message on the navigation that says "The external system is not connected" and it will not correct itself for a few hours. While this error message is displayed, the radio nor iPod will work at all. I can try turning the radio on and off, and it makes no difference. I also lose control over the volume, which remains set at the volume it was at when the error message appeared -turning the volume **** has no impact. Most recently when this happened, I turned the system off but it kept playing the radio regardless of whether or not the system was on or off. I also had no control over the volume.

I can turn the car on and off several times and it makes no difference. The car will randomly correct the issue, a few minutes to a few hours later. I thought that turning the car off might cycle the system and correct it, but it is not so.

This has been happening with more frequency lately, so I am hoping that someone knows of a fix. Some of you may also know about my flashing purple navigation screen, so I am not sure if all of this isn't adding up to some electrical failure or wiring problem.

Thanks in advance!
Back from the dead..... Same issue here. Did you ever find out the problem?
Old 03-30-15, 05:43 PM
TableSyrup
Driver

Electrolytic Caps in the radio? Sounds like you have Nav? Electrolytics in the computer for it (It's in the trunk right?)

Electrolytic caps have a finite life... these cars are at the age that if the electrolytics haven't gone yet, they should have... or will any time.... so.... if you are handy with pulling stuff apart and can solder, then I'd do it to it... crack them jokers open, make a list of caps, order em (unless you can get em locally), and swap em all out.

If I had a nav system in this car and it was acting up, that's what I would do first.... unfortunately, I have a crap pioneer HU.... I'll be swapping mine out for something more modern, and with a USB input as well....
Old 03-30-15, 05:49 PM
GS300OC
Rookie

Originally Posted by Shorty SMC
Electrolytic Caps in the radio? Sounds like you have Nav? Electrolytics in the computer for it (It's in the trunk right?)

Electrolytic caps have a finite life... these cars are at the age that if the electrolytics haven't gone yet, they should have... or will any time.... so.... if you are handy with pulling stuff apart and can solder, then I'd do it to it... crack them jokers open, make a list of caps, order em (unless you can get em locally), and swap em all out.

If I had a nav system in this car and it was acting up, that's what I would do first.... unfortunately, I have a crap pioneer HU.... I'll be swapping mine out for something more modern, and with a USB input as well....
THanks for the reply.

Yes I have the OEM NAV on a 2003. The behavior is like you said. An intermittent issue with either a cap, but I was thinking a solid state relay that isn't turning on the signal.

It could be the GROM unit I'm using as well which the factory system thinks is the "CD changer" in my setup.
Old 01-06-16, 07:35 AM
Art333
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem guys! Anybody knows what can be the problem?