GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
Old 12-12-14, 03:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

ProjectGS DIY: Inner Tie Rod Replacement. Possibly cure to your tirewear problems!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 09:42 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by eyecon7
Option 1= OEM

Option 2=BECK/ARNLEY http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=493064 $30.79

Option 3= DEEZA http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2471756 $33.79

Option 4= RAYBESTOS http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1147201 $47.79

I dont wanna pay 100, what about Options 3 and 4??
see everytime i went googling for this part it would come back to this when i searched for the gs430 and the picture was throwing me off till i finally noticed the picture says may not be actual item for your vehicle
and the picture was throwing me off till i finally noticed the picture says may not be actual item for your vehicle

EDIT: GUESS CL IS BLOCKING THESE WEBSITES AS EVERYTIME I POST THEM THEY COME BACK SCRAMBLED,oh well

http://www.******************.com/po...llIHJvZCBlbmQu

add the moog one to the list. $43.85 WITH TAX/SHIPPING EACH

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...Rww6XA&cad=rja

Last edited by sakataj; 08-21-11 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-17-11, 09:44 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

I really need mine changed out.
Old 08-17-11, 10:41 AM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
For anyone wondering, I used the Moog replacement part. I've used them and so have many of my friends. Their stuff seems to be a bit stronger than the OEM one. According to the box, they improve upon the weaknesses in the OEM design, but who knows lol. The upside is that it only cost about $50 per side.

Actually I have a lifetime alignment service plan. I can take the car in as much as I want. I was doing that for a while until I was too lazy. I was killing front tires like nobody's business lol. I bought my tires at another shop, so not much to do with the alignment shop. I guess their tech just sucked or didn't care enough to point out the problem.

Also, I bought a set of SPC front camber/caster kit upper control arms. Going to install everything tomorrow after I get home and take it in for an alignment. Hopefully this will fix all of my alignment & tire wear problems once and for all!
Yeah, didn't mean to say that the shop wanted you to spend money -- but it was just a general idea ya know; if your inner tie rods were that bad then you never truly got a correct alignment. I wouldn't even take it back to that shop if I were you because who's to say that after you pop on a new tire that it doesnt happen again.

In case you haven't already checked them look at your rear toe rods and traction rods.
Old 08-17-11, 05:17 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
see everytime i went googling for this part it would come back to this when i searched for the gs430 and the picture was throwing me off till i finally noticed the picture says may not be actual item for your vehicle
Brian, I bought mine at the local Oreilly's parts store.

Moog - Tie Rod End
Part Number: EV80600

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3448&ppt=C0203
Old 08-18-11, 07:38 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Brian, I bought mine at the local Oreilly's parts store.

Moog - Tie Rod End
Part Number: EV80600

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3448&ppt=C0203
ty man, i finally figured out why i couldnt find it...

people kept listing the MOEV80600 as the moog but when i did some more search it was another manufacturer....

i found them in the link i supplied a second earlier for $42.72 with tax/shipping. i will be ordering mine today or tomorrow to do next weekend.
Old 08-21-11, 01:09 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

add the moog one to the list. $43.85 WITH TAX/SHIPPING EACH

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...Rww6XA&cad=rja
just ordered mine....$87.69 for both shipped. i know for SURE my passenger side one is bad. when my figs prototype outer tie rod broke this weekend, i checked my inner on the passenger side its bad so i can imagine the inner on the drivers side is also bad
Old 08-21-11, 03:15 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Outer tie broke off! @saw the pic...no Bueno. I ordered the moog too...I guess I'll need one more. Thought it was a pair.

Last edited by sam430; 08-21-11 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-21-11, 03:51 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Saw the pic too. That's a huge bummer, man.
Old 08-21-11, 06:02 PM
fuzzzz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez this was such a good write up. I loved how clear and precise those pictures/and every step were. Thank you!!
Old 08-21-11, 10:27 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sam430
Outer tie broke off! @saw the pic...no Bueno. I ordered the moog too...I guess I'll need one more. Thought it was a pair
Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Saw the pic too. That's a huge bummer, man.
yeah this weekend wasn't the best weekend for me and my car. outer tie rod broke...installed new one and steering is off (hello alignment after i get these inner tie rods installed),fender buckled some from wheel hitting it (which has NEVER happened before),installed F&R TRD blues (which i now wonder if they upside down as the front end feels loose as hell) will confirm tomorrow,and need new rear carrier bushings now before i can install my figs Trac links (hello carson here i come).so as not to take away from Jeff's thread we can talk about those issues in figs thread though if you guys wanna

yeah Sam the moogs are sold individually....i saw some that was like $36 for the pair but i didnt know the brand so i skipped them
Old 08-22-11, 08:42 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

yeah this weekend wasn't the best weekend for me and my car. outer tie rod broke...installed new one and steering is off (hello alignment after i get these inner tie rods installed),fender buckled some from wheel hitting it (which has NEVER happened before),installed F&R TRD blues (which i now wonder if they upside down as the front end feels loose as hell) will confirm tomorrow,and need new rear carrier bushings now before i can install my figs Trac links (hello carson here i come).so as not to take away from Jeff's thread we can talk about those issues in figs thread though if you guys wanna

yeah Sam the moogs are sold individually....i saw some that was like $36 for the pair but i didnt know the brand so i skipped them
Brian, to know if the front sways are right side up.. take note to see if the bar is too close to the engine. if its too close then most likely its installed upside down.

edit:
so anyone know what grease was used? lol...
Old 09-22-11, 09:03 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

updates jeff?
Old 09-22-11, 10:11 AM
esolo98
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my inner and outers a few months ago, and it made a huge improvement in the steering wheel shake.
But I didn't put any grease in the ball joint area, should I take the boot off and put some? If so, what kind of grease did you use?
Old 09-22-11, 02:20 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey, sorry forgot to update. Anyways, after I got these installed my alignment is dead center in range now. It's been a month now and it's still holding. Hoping it stays that way lol.
Old 09-22-11, 07:12 PM
try2fndmrk
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great DIY, i will do this sometime and your giant sigs get very distracting :/

Quick Reply: ProjectGS DIY: Inner Tie Rod Replacement. Possibly cure to your tirewear problems!