GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rack & Pinion Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 12:16 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rack & Pinion Leak

I went to get my wheels balanced yesterday because I was a getting some steering wheel shake on the highway and while the mechanics had my car on the lift they saw that my Rack & Pinion was leaking slightly. He said it was not leaking very much so it wasn't really an issue, but it would have to be addressed down the road. I am not sure if his diagnosis is correct because I had my oil changed just before, so the guys who changed my oil could have gotten some fluid around the bottom of the car. Regardless, I was wondering if any of you guys have come across this problem. I searched and found almost nothing. I only found one thread about a rack & pinion leak, but the line had broke, not the actual rack and pinion. I saw a rack and pinion seal kit on RockAuto, I was wondering if this would help. The mechanic told me that the only way to fix the rack and pinion would be to get a new one. Any advice? Thanks a lot guys.
By the way my car felt great on the highway after the balance... but only for 50 miles then it started shaking again. I need to re torque the lug nuts and hopefully it will be good. If that fails I'm going to try and remove the rust on the hub.

Other Information:
Mileage: 145,000
My steering is lose and my car wanders a bit on the highway (I thought this was just my Steering Rack Bushings, and other suspension parts wearing down).
Old 05-09-11, 09:11 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Any info, I have seen rebuilt OEM Rack and Pinions for $300 on Ebay.
Old 05-15-11, 06:56 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

So has anyone experienced a leaking rack and pinion. I looked under the car today and on the lowest part of the rack and pinion there was fluid.
Old 05-15-11, 07:03 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may think you can just replace the boot thats leaking but thats not the correct way to fix it. I suggest you get the rack and pinion rebuilt. Here in cali, i got a rebuilt one for less than 300. You just need to look up where around your area would exchange yours for a rebuilt one. Also check your power steering pump, are you topping off fluid every month?
Old 05-18-11, 02:16 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

I need to check my Power Steering Fluid, and I was going to drain and refill all my Power Steering Fluid this Summer anyway because this winter when my car was cold it would make a screeching sound until it warmed up. I think something may have gotten into my Power Steering Fluid. Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking at re manufactured Rack and Pinions, they look like a good deal if I end up needing one.
Old 05-18-11, 02:18 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

If you dont have money to fix it, you can try Power Steering Stop leak from LUCAS. Just saying..
Old 05-18-11, 05:12 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Yeah, idk what I'm going to do yet. The mechanic told me its not really a problem yet, but it will become one in the future. That is if he diagnosed it right. I'll figure things out when I get back home from school this Summer. Thanks for all the advice guys