GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Check your In cabin filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-11, 01:54 PM
Lextasy671
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bobby, hahahaha!! i cleaned mine the other week and also found leaves in it..wtf?
Old 04-10-11, 06:56 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 377 Likes on 221 Posts

Seeing this thread made me go buy a new one off of eBay. Only $8!
Old 04-10-11, 07:05 PM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread makes me feel dirty lol. No offense. I feel like you've been breathing in toxic stuff.

But I picked a new one not too long ago. My old one was filthy.
Old 04-11-11, 11:13 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

BTW guys thats a hogs hair filter as we call them in the HVAC business. nothing wrong with the filters just not made for this application....
Old 04-11-11, 04:26 PM
GS671
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well its a filter at least. hahahha
Old 04-11-11, 04:45 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 377 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by shvc1991
This thread makes me feel dirty lol.
Steve, you were dirty before you opened this thread. Just kidding.
Old 04-11-11, 07:21 PM
miaristo
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just pulled my out. Leaves, hair, and a dead bee...what? Is there a difference between eBay and autozone ones?
Old 04-12-11, 07:11 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by miaristo
Is there a difference between eBay and autozone ones?
yes the media type is different MOST of the time,PLUS the OEM ones are carbon activated for a better smell MOST the others arent. i use a purolater one.... part # c35518 can be found for $16 shipped on ebay. DONT use the home depot cut your own filter method, they just dont work as well. wth do i know though.....i only manage a HVAC supply house
Old 04-12-11, 11:25 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
yes the media type is different MOST of the time,PLUS the OEM ones are carbon activated for a better smell MOST the others arent. i use a purolater one.... part # c35518 can be found for $16 shipped on ebay. DONT use the home depot cut your own filter method, they just dont work as well. wth do i know though.....i only manage a HVAC supply house
I don't really agree with your blanket statement that the cut your own filter method don't work as well..

This is both in terms of price and performance.

With the cut your own filter method, you can be sure of the filter media you pick from Home Depot with it's actual ratings and endorsements from allergy associations and all the latest gimmicks: with Lysol, with Arm and Hammer, electrostatically charged: microfiber, nano-something or other etc etc.

If you got the cheapest filter from HD, then yes you got what you paid for.

But you could have also gotten the top of the line filter for a few bucks more and after cutting it up come out WAY ahead pricewise. Even the most expensive gimmicky filter is perhaps $15-$20 from which you can make 4 car filters. Plenty others which only lack the latest gimmick are around $10.

In comparison with Ebay, partsstore or even the OEM, you really have no idea of what is the filter media, and it's likely to be the cheapest (plain paper) to be passable-this goes even for OEM ones. In fact, this is even more true for OEM, since you're basically getting an air filter designed in 1998 without any requirement of the industry innovations/improvements since then. And for this you are paying "only" $8.

I would've expected since you are in the industry, that you'd actually would have agreed with my position as filters for HVAC represent the bleeding edge of filter and allergen prevention technology; rather than the much smaller auto filter market which just uses the cheapest materials years down the lines at the cheapest price possible (but still with a considerable mark up due to the small market).

Yes, you have to spend more time with scissors and maybe some tape/ cardboard to prevent air leaks around the edges, but once you've got the technique down, it's pretty easy. It's more arts/crafts than any other car maintenance.

If i'm willing to save $15 by changing my own oil, for sure I'm going to try to save by cutting and fitting my own cabin air filter, and I get impregnated lysol nanoparticles and electrostatic electrons and microtechnology as a bonus.

If you're able to find random sales/coupons at HD, this can help you a lot too. Out of sheer luck, when I was looking for filters, filtrete was on clearance at my homedepot and was $1 for each panel, from which you can make four.

Last edited by raytseng; 04-12-11 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-12-11, 02:35 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by raytseng
I don't really agree with your blanket statement that the cut your own filter method don't work as well.
we'll have to agree to disagree here.... while i intentionally chose to tell you'll that of ANY filters that the hog hair would work the best for a few simple reasons. main one being that it would hold its shape best of ANY homemade filter. it should also flow more "filtered" air through it

my main problem with people doing this ray is people buy the cheap fiberglass (blue) filters and wanna cut them up and put them into their cabin air units and essentially your filtering nothing at all. now if you go with a pleated filter (white filter) its DEF better than the regular BUT you lose the carbon/charcoal activated part of the OEM filter which filters odor and some other particles.

its a personal preference i guess i personally use that purolater one as its STILL a pleated filter and carbon/charcoal activated
Old 04-12-11, 03:20 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
we'll have to agree to disagree here.... while i intentionally chose to tell you'll that of ANY filters that the hog hair would work the best for a few simple reasons. main one being that it would hold its shape best of ANY homemade filter. it should also flow more "filtered" air through it

my main problem with people doing this ray is people buy the cheap fiberglass (blue) filters and wanna cut them up and put them into their cabin air units and essentially your filtering nothing at all. now if you go with a pleated filter (white filter) its DEF better than the regular BUT you lose the carbon/charcoal activated part of the OEM filter which filters odor and some other particles.

its a personal preference i guess i personally use that purolater one as its STILL a pleated filter and carbon/charcoal activated
Yep understood, yea don't pick the fiberglass filters.

Regarding carbon/charcoal. I reckon the impregnated Lysol, or arm/hammer baking soda or electrostatic and nano-particle technology gimmicks of the higher end panels provide benefits equally attractive to carbon/charcoal.

If carbon/charcoal activated is that great, the question would be why isn't carbon/charcoal sold as a gimmick on home HVAC panels?

Even so, in my experience, when I have tried carbon/charcoal filters, it seemed like the carbon ability to filter odors seemed to wear off rather quickly (example: food smells were not absorbed after the filter was 1month old). So unless you're planning on getting new carbon filters every month, i couldn't really tell the difference. This didn't seem like something that was sustainable.

Last edited by raytseng; 04-12-11 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 03:22 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kekeke, dirty..