GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I'm Sick Of Steering Feel!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 07:15 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Your alignment specs can make a difference in steering feel.

Engineers design small
amounts of positive or negative camber
into vehicle suspensions to aid handling
and steering.
http://www.niumotorsports.com/formul...suspension.pdf

I tend to deviate a bit from the Lexus factory settings and let my alignment guy dial in the ideal setting for better steering feel & handeling since my suspension is no longer factory. My steering is much more improved.. If you were near me, I would let you test drive my Lexus to compare.

You will find that folks that track there cars constantly align their cars to tackle certain tracks and conditions.

Try the alignment route instead of spending hundreds of dollars for decorations under the car that will not improve the feel of the car.
Old 01-20-11, 10:10 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by TLcoats
guna look into an L tuned steering ECU.
Tim you will spend a year looking for a l-tuned ecu. as long as i have been on here i think i have seen ONE for sale. when i bought my car i spent the better part of a month searching for one and couldnt find one ONLY to find out that the GS430 steering ecu is essentially the same as the L-TUNED steering ecu so it might just be easier for you to find a gs430 steering ecu
Old 01-20-11, 10:34 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
Tim you will spend a year looking for a l-tuned ecu. as long as i have been on here i think i have seen ONE for sale. when i bought my car i spent the better part of a month searching for one and couldnt find one ONLY to find out that the GS430 steering ecu is essentially the same as the L-TUNED steering ecu so it might just be easier for you to find a gs430 steering ecu
Sorry Brian, but I know i everyone with numerous post says that the GS430 Steering ECU is the same as the L-Tune ECU..

Actually, its not since now I have Both cars I can confirm that the GS430 Steering Ecu is NOT the L-tuned ECU.. I have the L-tuned on my GS400 and its alot tighter than my GS430.. I thought the same as everyone until i was able to have both cars side-by-side for comparison..
Old 01-20-11, 10:38 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Sorry Brian, but I know i everyone with numerous post says that the GS430 Steering ECU is the same as the L-Tune ECU..

Actually, its not since now I have Both cars I can confirm that the GS430 Steering Ecu is NOT the L-tuned ECU.. I have the L-tuned on my GS400 and its alot tighter than my GS430.. I thought the same as everyone until i was able to have both cars side-by-side for comparison..
+1. Bitkahuna did a back-to-back test somewhere back in 2001 as well. The GS430 ECU might be a step in the right direction and certainly will be easier to find.

The other thing to look into is tightening the steering pre-tensioner if you haven't already done this.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-searched.html
Old 01-20-11, 10:47 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
+1. Bitkahuna did a back-to-back test somewhere back in 2001 as well. The GS430 ECU might be a step in the right direction and certainly will be easier to find.

The other thing to look into is tightening the steering pre-tensioner if you haven't already done this.

Your right Dave, Stock-for-Stock The GS430 Steering ECU is I say a little bit firmer with less play than my GS400 with its Stock Steering ECU - buy now that I have both cars i can definitely confirm although the GS430 is tighter than the GS400, The GS430's Steering ECU is not the L-tuned Steering ECU - Its maybe at best 30% of the real L-tuned ECU..
Old 01-20-11, 11:04 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My GS handles wicked. I have a lot of aftermarket bracing though.

here is what i suggest, they made the biggest difference for me.

If you want it to handle like a sports car you need:
-Stiffer springs (16K,12K) on a good damper
-Sway bars (i suggest Daizen, TRD's are way too stiff)
-Rear subframe to body braces
-Rear crossmember brace
-Adjust your steering pre-tensioner

Most important...alignment
Old 01-20-11, 11:07 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input guys! I'm now looking for a set of TRD sways to help stiffen up the body roll and if an L tuned ECU pops up in the classifieds i'll pick it up. Unless Brian jumps in before me.

I haven't done this yet. I just don't get the DIY. You're suppose to put a bolt with a nut into the other bigger hex bolt? Theres nothing there that could do that except by drilling a hole. I think this will help me alot too, my steering feels really loose and my bushings are pretty much shot.
Old 01-20-11, 11:11 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bippu147
My GS handles wicked. I have a lot of aftermarket bracing though.

here is what i suggest, they made the biggest difference for me.

If you want it to handle like a sports car you need:
-Stiffer springs (16K,12K) on a good damper
-Sway bars (i suggest Daizen, TRD's are way too stiff)
-Rear subframe to body braces
-Rear crossmember brace
-Adjust your steering pre-tensioner

Most important...alignment
TRD are too stiff? I didn't think that was possible. I've ready many many threads on the Daizen vs. TRD debate and everyone that got Daizen then TRD's couldn't be happier. Remember, i like stiff.

As far as the stiffer springs, i have 12k/10k right now. Could i just buy 16k springs for the front, then move the 12k's to the back? Or would my dampening not be able to compensate?

Rear subframe to body braces. Are those like a Tom's 6 links?

I'm definitely going to get a Rear Crossmember brace, but after i get Sways and the other bigger improvements.
Old 01-20-11, 11:23 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

TRD are too stiff? I didn't think that was possible. I've ready many many threads on the Daizen vs. TRD debate and everyone that got Daizen then TRD's couldn't be happier. Remember, i like stiff.

As far as the stiffer springs, i have 12k/10k right now. Could i just buy 16k springs for the front, then move the 12k's to the back? Or would my dampening not be able to compensate?

Rear subframe to body braces. Are those like a Tom's 6 links?

I'm definitely going to get a Rear Crossmember brace, but after i get Sways and the other bigger improvements.
Yes TRD too stiff, well on my car anyways, I have super stiff springs. I have also had a friend rip off his sway bar mount on his car from hitting a bump while going around a corner with the TRD's. I like the Daizen, it works well, it takes away all the un-necessary roll, yet it's not too harsh.

Not like the Toms 6 link.
I have separate braces on mine.

Old 01-20-11, 11:29 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

You get those from Ultra Racing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ULTRA...ht_14188wt_915

Did they make some improvements?
Old 01-20-11, 11:30 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

I did a review of my Upgrades back in '03 - Check out #3 Where i did a Daizens vs. TRD Comparo -- https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-this-1st.html

Enjoy!
Old 01-20-11, 11:44 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I tried doing this on my car, but ended up plugging it back in. With the ECU disconnected, there were hard spots as you turn the steering wheel. It was not linear at all. And really, it didn't give much feel at all...it's just heavier.
It's all about preference. I personally like having the lighter steering wheel, but some may like it heavy. I say it's worth a shot since it's free an can be easily reversed within a matter of seconds.
Old 01-20-11, 11:56 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Your right Dave, Stock-for-Stock The GS430 Steering ECU is I say a little bit firmer with less play than my GS400 with its Stock Steering ECU - buy now that I have both cars i can definitely confirm although the GS430 is tighter than the GS400, The GS430's Steering ECU is not the L-tuned Steering ECU - Its maybe at best 30% of the real L-tuned ECU..

hmm well ty don for the info, i was going from my memory and from my old research and from everyone telling me they were they the same....maybe its cause you cant find the l-tuned steering ecu? how does the l-tuned/gs430 compare to the sport design steering ecu as this maybe another option for tim? BTW tim i might have found a company who has them, i just emailed them and if they have them i will pass on the info

on a side note don IF i come to import alliance i would love (if you dont mind) to test drive your gs400 to compare it myself to the steering in gs430. not cause i dont believe you but to give myself a bigger reason to hunt down and buy a l-tuned ecu

if an L tuned ECU pops up in the classifieds i'll pick it up. Unless Brian jumps in before me.
if one pops up tim i will probably be the first person on it but dont hold your breath....search L-tuned steering ecu in the classifieds and see what you get. look how many people made WTB threads
Old 01-20-11, 12:13 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

You get those from Ultra Racing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ULTRA...ht_14188wt_915

Did they make some improvements?
Huge improvements.

I didn't buy them off Ebay though, i got them directly from Ultra Racing
Old 01-20-11, 12:22 PM
Baliztik
Lexus Test Driver

You can always modify the steering wheel itself. I drove a GS430 with everything tightened up and it was real smooth, and everything was in control. Big difference in the way it felt and the way it handled.

Quick Reply: I'm Sick Of Steering Feel!