GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My Retrofit Attempt

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-10, 09:13 PM
OT0814
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kzem
Looks great i might just have u make me a pair
funny u should say that.... i do have a spare set of headlights... but to me i like the whole diy aspect of it. makes me feel accomplished
Old 11-28-10, 09:21 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Looks great
x2

looks better than my DIY attempt at a different style retro
Old 11-28-10, 10:51 PM
audax
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Making sure that the chrome bezel stays free of glue and debris is the hardest part of the retrofit process.

Nice work!
Old 11-28-10, 11:22 PM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

So basically, you just mount the projector on the bracket and mount the bracket on the housing? (after taking the lenses out of course)

If its as easy as you are making it sound, i will attempt the retro instead of a HID kit
Old 11-29-10, 01:36 AM
audax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Clear2Cloz
So basically, you just mount the projector on the bracket and mount the bracket on the housing? (after taking the lenses out of course)

If its as easy as you are making it sound, i will attempt the retro instead of a HID kit
No, the brackets that get added to the projector will line up with the adjustment screws inside the housing. The adjustment screws are where the OEM bowl mounts to the housing. The bracket just allows the new projector to mount at the same points and therefore retain manual adjustment or auto-leveling if your model came equipped with it.
Old 11-29-10, 01:42 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Clear2Cloz

when it comes to retroing, The only difficult part of the job is placing the projectors in the bowls. Luxury Mods' brackets have now made our retrofitting the easiest thing to do! and yeas Clear2Cloz its as easy as that. The Luxury Mods bracket has the same bolt pattern as the oem bowl so as audax said, they just screw right into the manual adjusters. I say yes to attempting it

Check out the DIY I wrote for these brackets:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-bracket.html

You can see how the brackets work and I show you how to NOT get glue all over the chrome housing. Its quite simple when you take your time and watch the glue as it comes off and redirecting it out of the way OR after removing from oven and you begin to remove the lens, use a heat gun on the glue as it pulls apart. The heat gun acts like a knife and melts the glue trail and it shrivels outward towards the edges of the lens and black housing.

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 11-29-10 at 01:46 AM.
Old 11-29-10, 02:14 AM
Lextasy671
Lexus Test Driver

nice! since im getting new headlights, imma experiment on my old ones for some retros.
Old 11-29-10, 11:33 AM
Kzem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by OT0814
funny u should say that.... i do have a spare set of headlights... but to me i like the whole diy aspect of it. makes me feel accomplished
yeah i know what you mean. when i finally put in my amp and sub i felt like the man... even tho it took me a while to do it. For something like the headlights tho i only have 1 pair and if i mess up.. it wont be pretty.
Old 11-29-10, 12:22 PM
OT0814
Lead Lap

yeah i know what you mean. when i finally put in my amp and sub i felt like the man... even tho it took me a while to do it. For something like the headlights tho i only have 1 pair and if i mess up.. it wont be pretty.
Dont be worried.... I wouldnt consider myself very mechanically inclined and it was simple. Trust me there is nothing to be scared of. set your oven to 220 and leave it for ten min. You may have to stick it back in if the oven if the glue hardens. But it was so easy. If you going to paint your bezel then the job is even easier cuz you dont have to be carefull.you just have to sand the glue off

Last edited by OT0814; 11-29-10 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-29-10, 04:05 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Congrats!!!!
Old 11-29-10, 04:43 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, I have a pair of headlights already opened Send me yours and I'll send you the open ones It'll save you the hassle, the bezels are already cut for retro too However, this is only if you're planning on painting the bezels cause the chrome is pretty old. Just pay for shipping and we can call it even
Old 11-29-10, 08:07 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks Fantastic Omar, you really did a great job! Especially for it being your first time. Huge improvement! Can't wait for the cutoff pics...
Old 11-30-10, 02:58 AM
OT0814
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Megafast13
Looks Fantastic Omar, you really did a great job! Especially for it being your first time. Huge improvement! Can't wait for the cutoff pics...
Thanks I'm having a hard time adjusting the headlights tho. The outer screws are all the way in the side of the car. They are real difficult to get to. I just dont want to take off the headlight again.
Old 11-30-10, 03:18 AM
OT0814
Lead Lap

Last edited by OT0814; 11-30-10 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-30-10, 03:52 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OT0814
Thanks I'm having a hard time adjusting the headlights tho. The outer screws are all the way in the side of the car. They are real difficult to get to. I just dont want to take off the headlight again.
might want to look again. They're all accessible. I'm not by my car at the moment to help locate, but every car has a 'pathway' to the adjustment or it would defeat the purpose of having them at all. I've adjusted both sides of mine with them on the car... so its possible. just gotta use a screwdriver from the top side, not the 8mm socket on the back side.

dont give up just yet.

Quick Reply: My Retrofit Attempt