GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

brembos?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-02, 04:11 PM
fisher_price
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brembos?

the highly touted Exact Motorsports folks in Milpitas, CA, have quoted me a price of ~$660 to install 11" Brembos all around with pads and labor included.

anyone have any advice on this? i called them initially 'cause Magnussen wants $600 just to machine the rotors and install new pads.

does the whole indicator pad thing come into play here?

i am looking for durability then performance... cosmetics is my lowest priority. i am heartbroken at missing the group buy; i emailed steve ganz but am not excited at the prospect of paying shipping.

f_p

o ya-- will changing any of this stuff include / allow me to change the rusted space thing behind the rim?

thanks for any help.
Old 07-30-02, 09:05 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude, that's pretty(extremely) inexpensive for brembos i thought. i've also heard good things about exact, but you might want to make sure those are actually Brembo. large brembos are well over $2k, let alone a decent installation.

steve's groupbuy offered OEM sized ones for $300 plus say another $120 for pads. add up total cost and that'd be nearly $600 and those sure aren't brembos. plus steve isn't all that far, you don't ever make a quick trip to LA with a hour or so to spare? there are toys to just look at there also.

the rusted space thing...quit being technical already i think you're talking about the rotor drum and that is a part of the rotor that will be changed
Old 07-30-02, 10:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well i wouldn't doubt one thing about john (exact motorsport) and he knows what he is doing. but i would double check with him to make sure that's the brembos you looking for, coz' that's really some good price i believe.

or better yet if you can find the kit yourself, get them, and just let them charge you labor to install.

keep in mind you still have to pay tax though. if you wanna make a trip to LA area, you can easily get a shop to buy the kits, install them, and pay the cash and forget about the tax
Old 07-31-02, 01:05 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

11" Brembo's is NOT the big brake kit guys... The big brake kit from Brembo comes in two sizes (rotor wise)...13" (332mm) and 14" (355mm)...if you could get either one of those for $660, I'll take 2 sets of the 14"...make it 5 sets...

What they guy is offering is a set of Brembo STOCK SIZE rotors to replace your factory ones. THESE ARE NOT THE "BIG BRAKE" package...the do NOT include any calipers. Brembo front GS rotors are NOT cross drilled or slotted either. However, they can be done (but be careful, you can't just "randomly" cross drill or slot rotors...someone experienced needs to do it.)

I don't know if Brembo makes rear rotors for the GS. Most likely, he's selling you some other brand of rotors as "Brembos"...that's QUITE popular...check with Brembo (www.brembo.com) to see what's available for your GS...

SOME "performance" shops will take advantage of uniformed buyers...

Last edited by Manaray; 07-31-02 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-31-02, 01:12 AM
RacingAristo

They probably sell "Bradi". Some said it's a branch of Brembo. Who knew? shrug
Old 07-31-02, 02:42 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: brembos?

Originally posted by fisher_price
the highly touted Exact Motorsports folks in Milpitas, CA, have quoted me a price of ~$660 to install 11" Brembos all around with pads and labor included.

anyone have any advice on this? i called them initially 'cause Magnussen wants $600 just to machine the rotors and install new pads.

does the whole indicator pad thing come into play here?

i am looking for durability then performance... cosmetics is my lowest priority. i am heartbroken at missing the group buy; i emailed steve ganz but am not excited at the prospect of paying shipping.

f_p

o ya-- will changing any of this stuff include / allow me to change the rusted space thing behind the rim?

thanks for any help.
Sounds like you got quoted for new rotors/pads only.....
Aint gonna make a difference if you dont switch to a larger caliper w/more pistons.....
Old 07-31-02, 07:10 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by RacingAristo
They probably sell "Bradi". Some said it's a branch of Brembo. Who knew? shrug
bradi brakes do bring the price right around $660, and that is a OEM subdivision or something. so exact is kinda pulling your tail. like manaray said, real brembos include giant brakes and a new larger calipers. nothing that will fit a small wheel or use your existing components.

manaray,
enginyr said your gone, but still...brembo makes OEM sized replacement? i was always thinking they only provide upgrades to big brake kits. even hondas start at 12.9" or something, don't they?
Old 07-31-02, 07:57 PM
RacingAristo

No, Brembo doesn't make any OEM replacement. We talked about this before....long time ago.
Old 07-31-02, 09:09 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

that's exactly what i thought, but if manaray says they do, that changes things in my thinking. he knows a whole lot more than i do
Old 07-31-02, 09:16 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

with all the gadgets(sp?) inspector manaray carries.you would never know if he is watching...
Old 08-01-02, 04:45 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm, I thought Brembo made FRONT rotor replacements (not slotted or cross drilled)....Steve (SupraTRD) would know for sure.

GS4Will -
Old 08-01-02, 09:15 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

oh, so they do. RA and i learned something new.

so you are here manaray...just when enginyr thought you left.

i was like, "cheap wheel owners, unite and show yourselves!!"
Old 08-01-02, 10:08 AM
RacingAristo

Um.... maybe I messup between GS stock and SupraTT stock

Manaray, does Brembo make any OEM replace for SupraTT brake kit? No right?
Old 08-02-02, 03:16 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

No, Brembo doesn't make any OEM replacement. We talked about this before....long time ago.
Yup, a few of our members actually called Brembo to verify this....sometime late last year I believe...
Old 08-02-02, 03:19 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Um.... maybe I messup between GS stock and SupraTT stock

Manaray, does Brembo make any OEM replace for SupraTT brake kit? No right?
Steve Ganz has cross drilled/slotted rotors available as a direct replacement for the SupraTT OEM rotor..... Looks alot better than just cross drilled OR slotted alone...

Quick Reply: brembos?