GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

AC blows warm. (Tried searching)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 11:43 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Harbor Freight Tools sales some A/C Pressure Gauges for Cheap... Just a thought..
Old 07-23-10, 08:23 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanGS4
well i just got my freon refilled too not to long ago. maybe thats the way to go and see because its not expensive to do!
y would u just fill it if you didnt know if it needed it?

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Well I took it too my buddy who's a mechanic to check things out. He said freon was a little low but couldn't get the pressure readings because his gauge wasn't working properly. He believes it is some sort of electrical issue since my compressor kicks I'm fine and freon is about normal. Do you guys have any idea would electrical problem could cause this? Once again thanks for the help. And sakataj if you lived closer I'd take you up on your offer!
if he cant get the pressure readings how would he know the freon is a little low? go to a different mechanic man....first place to start is you have to have the readings to know where to go?

Originally Posted by GS_Louis
I'm having the same issue!
It was fine at one moment then 3 hours later no cold air came out, all i heard was a hissing noise coming from behind my dash when my A/C was on. I recharged it at work and bam it was nice and cool again, then an hour later it was warm again, so I'm suspecting I have a leak.
if you completely recharged it and an hour later it was all gone you have a MAJOR leak sir

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Harbor Freight Tools sales some A/C Pressure Gauges for Cheap... Just a thought..
true, but they tend to be inaccurate
Old 07-23-10, 08:48 AM
poohunny
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
you still haven't gotten yours fixed? you have a different issue...your compressor is seized....i dont think this is his issue although he hasnt stated if his compressor was coming on or not
nope. I am waiting for my drier to come in the mail. I got the compressor last week and was going to take it in, but my unlimited warranty only works is I replace the compressor with a drier/accumulator (same thing?). So i ordered and expansion valve to just in case. I'm going to take it in for the compressor/drier, and if that doesn't solve the problem, I'll bite the bullet and get the expansion valve installed...although I heard my hissing for sure from the compressor area so I'm very sure (95%) that there is a leak somewhere within the compressor...(front seal maybe)...is that possible for it to leak from inside the compressor?
Old 07-23-10, 08:53 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by poohunny
nope. I am waiting for my drier to come in the mail. I got the compressor last week and was going to take it in, but my unlimited warranty only works is I replace the compressor with a drier/accumulator (same thing?). So i ordered and expansion valve to just in case. I'm going to take it in for the compressor/drier, and if that doesn't solve the problem, I'll bite the bullet and get the expansion valve installed...although I heard my hissing for sure from the compressor area so I'm very sure (95%) that there is a leak somewhere within the compressor...(front seal maybe)...is that possible for it to leak from inside the compressor?
btw a drier and accumulator aren't the same. a drier catches trash and a accumulator keeps liquid refrigerant from getting back to the compressor AKA sludge or sludging.

who diagnosed this car for you?yeah u can have a leak in there or some bad valves?
Old 08-16-10, 02:59 PM
LillaGubbo
Driver School Candidate

I filled freon three months ago, and now it's all gone, so I have definitely a leak

I took the car to a friend-of-friend who works with AC problems all day, and after one hour of research he found that there is a leak on the thinner of the two pipes going to the rear AC (yes, I have a UL).

Unfortunately the leak is over the rear wheel suspension, so he will have to dismount the gas tank (at least) to get to it - we'll see how expensive this is going to be...

According to his experience it happens quite often that a pipe starts to leak in or near one of the rubber clamps which holds the pipe. This seems to be an age problem more than a milage one, so he said.

When searching for the leak he used both a super advanced electronic sensor which can detect leaks equivalent to 2 grams/year (!) but also some soap liquid which made bubbles... The latter may be a little more DIY...

I have never had to repair any of my Lexuses - past or present - but now I suddenly have an AC leak and a broken Mark Levinson amplifier... This is going to be really expensive...

/Per
Old 08-16-10, 08:21 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ At least you have a leak. That's not too bad. My compressor is blown too pieces and my mechanic said i need a new condensor too. $2500 for everything from my mechanic.

I am going to order a new compressor and condensor online. Does anybody know how hard the install will be? It doesnt seem too hard except for the freon and my lack of knowledge with AC's. Would i be able to take it to a mechanic have them empty the freon. Then drive home, change the compressor and condensor then drive back to a mechanic and have them refill it? Because i really don't want to/ can't pay for all the labor involved when i can pretty much do most the work myself. How hard would this be for an average DIYer?
Old 08-16-10, 09:58 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by LillaGubbo
I filled freon three months ago, and now it's all gone, so I have definitely a leak

I took the car to a friend-of-friend who works with AC problems all day, and after one hour of research he found that there is a leak on the thinner of the two pipes going to the rear AC (yes, I have a UL).

Unfortunately the leak is over the rear wheel suspension, so he will have to dismount the gas tank (at least) to get to it - we'll see how expensive this is going to be...

According to his experience it happens quite often that a pipe starts to leak in or near one of the rubber clamps which holds the pipe. This seems to be an age problem more than a milage one, so he said.

When searching for the leak he used both a super advanced electronic sensor which can detect leaks equivalent to 2 grams/year (!) but also some soap liquid which made bubbles... The latter may be a little more DIY...

I have never had to repair any of my Lexuses - past or present - but now I suddenly have an AC leak and a broken Mark Levinson amplifier... This is going to be really expensive...

/Per
Your's an LS and he's got a GS.
Old 08-16-10, 11:18 PM
LillaGubbo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Your's an LS and he's got a GS.
Yeah, I know, but the pipe problem should apply to all cars/models...
Old 08-16-10, 11:51 PM
dcz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TLcoats
^^ At least you have a leak. That's not too bad. My compressor is blown too pieces and my mechanic said i need a new condensor too. $2500 for everything from my mechanic.

I am going to order a new compressor and condensor online. Does anybody know how hard the install will be? It doesnt seem too hard except for the freon and my lack of knowledge with AC's. Would i be able to take it to a mechanic have them empty the freon. Then drive home, change the compressor and condensor then drive back to a mechanic and have them refill it? Because i really don't want to/ can't pay for all the labor involved when i can pretty much do most the work myself. How hard would this be for an average DIYer?
Its really not as hard as everyone makes it out to be... I did mine and was honestly suprised at how easy it was. I think there are 3 bolts on the compressor, a few to get the condensor out, and the rest is just taking your time and doing it right... I had the same estimate of 2500 and I did mine with a new compressor, new drier, and condensor for about 900.... I think i got my parts from http://www.carpartswarehouse.com/add.../60-01710.html . They were pleasent to work with and got me my parts on time and were not too expensive.

I did a DIY on the process not too long ago.

This was for the gs400

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...placement.html

This is for the sc400 but has the same compressor i believe (or really close) and you can use the pictures off of it to help.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...tallation.html

Here is a link with a couple diagrams posted up on condensor removal.
I dont remember if I included them in my thread or not.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...condensor.html

But yea, I could probably do the switch in 3 hours knowing how its done... not a bad job at all.. Just make sure to find the leak before you fill it up with more freon or else you will just waste your money... make sure to flush your system to rid it of debris... if you want to know anything else just shoot me a PM and I can help you out...
Old 08-16-10, 11:55 PM
dcz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

and let me add, it would probably cost you a great deal of $ to do if you dont have access to a vaccum pump, gauges, or freon, but you can repalce all the parts and take it to a shop and have them check everything... I would recommend that before I ever paid a show to do that work... I feel like if you can change the brakes on a car, you can definitely change a compressor/condensor. Charging it and everything else may require a little more practice ... etc..
Old 08-17-10, 06:46 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

dcz has it right, It's not that hard to swap out the parts in the 400.
I was also surprised how simple it was to remove and replace the compressor and condenser/ dryer, just did mine Friday. It took longer to pull vacuum ,2 hours, than to remove and replace parts.

Make sure you replace the PAG46 compressor oil that is removed with the old parts.
4.5- 5 ounces for the complete system.
1.4 ounces in the condenser.
2 ounces in compressor.
Old 08-17-10, 07:13 AM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are all these Issues on the 400, cause I have a 400 and my AC is messed up too..
Old 05-22-11, 11:03 PM
G4inRich
Rookie

Me too. My baby is blowing warm air too. Just got off work but goin to my mechanic in the morning------make that afternoon. Will keep you guys posted with results.