GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Odometer rollback...Is it possible???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 04:06 PM
dh784123
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we have a 02 lx470 in the family that has roughly 53K on it.
like others said, not so hard to find a low mileage lexus especially if its been owned by an elderly couple.
Old 06-29-10, 03:28 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Low miles on GS's is not rare, I recently bought an '05 GS430 with 18K miles CPO (70 year old couple owned her). I also own a '99 GS400 with 49K miles. And a buddy of mine bought a '00 GS400 last month with 77K miles from CarMax. They're out there, be patient and do your homework and you'll find them..
Old 06-29-10, 07:53 AM
hmt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Low miles on GS's is not rare, I recently bought an '05 GS430 with 18K miles CPO (70 year old couple owned her). I also own a '99 GS400 with 49K miles. And a buddy of mine bought a '00 GS400 last month with 77K miles from CarMax. They're out there, be patient and do your homework and you'll find them..
I guess that's what I need to do...be patient :~)....I see they're a lot of them out there for bigger states (TX, CA, GA). There's nothing out there in NC LOL...Been looking everyday for months....Was thinking to book a one way flight to GA and drive it home LOL....actually that's not a bad idea....
Old 06-29-10, 01:35 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hmt
I guess that's what I need to do...be patient :~)....I see they're a lot of them out there for bigger states (TX, CA, GA). There's nothing out there in NC LOL...Been looking everyday for months....Was thinking to book a one way flight to GA and drive it home LOL....actually that's not a bad idea....
You are mostly right, the cars are mostly in CA, TX, GA, but a few in AL, FL, TN as well. I bought my '05 in VA and my buddy got his 400 in AL.. So don't give up, when you see a good specimen, jump on it..

Another friend of mine is also looking and i've been on the hunt for him, I found this GS430 last nite. This one looks good. Rare Color Combo

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national Good Luck!
Old 06-29-10, 01:45 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by del3180
I think you missed the point of my thread.

The OP asked a simple question, "Is it possible to 'roll back' the odometer on these cars?" My answer was a long yes with a specific example, and some advice.

I mentioned CarFax in my friends scenario because that is how he eventually found out the odometer was incorrect. I did not mean CarFax is by any means the only resource one should base a used vehicle purchase on.

In my thread, I stated you've got to use your head, ask the right questions, and use every available clue/resource at your disposal before making a purchase. For instance, if one were to ask a seller, "How often do you fill up?" and the seller replies once a week when the low fuel light illuminates. Well that tells you they drive about 400 miles a week on average, or about 20,000 miles a year.

That being said, I am also not saying that a '01 GS with 82,000 miles has had the odometer "rolled back." I'm simply stating the OP should not ignore important clues. The OP should be aware of all the possibilities out there and make an educated purchase.
Fair statement and good advice, but also should point out the example you gave (while a Lexus) was not a 2nd gen GS. The older odometers / clusters on the older SC are different and I believe that model year is even OBD1.

I personally haven't read about a rollback on a 2nd gen GS that I recall on the forums. When I sold my 1998 GS400 a year or so back it only had 76,000 or so miles if I remember correctly.
Old 06-29-10, 02:00 PM
exodus_2
Lead Lap

when i bought my gs300sportdesign mine had 46k on it like 2 and half years ago... and let me tell you something rolling back mileage it's possible on any cars that's out there. i know who does it too but i heard they are not 100% some cars might mess up and you need to buy new cluster. anyways most japanese cars memory for mileage is on cluster.
newer european cars have it on the cluster, ECU(some cars on separate safety computers) , and on the keys... so newer european cars needs to take the whole car and all the keys i heard... well i know your concern that your worrying about the low mileage and roll back on cluster stuff because i was worrying about the samethings too. but if you worry too much it's harder to make desition buying cars. nothing wrong with being careful but most ppl in CL that sell the vehicle here(not all of them) have dealer or some kinda service invoice etc. because they check mileages when shops do paper work. it's bit easyer for you to trust that person.
Old 06-30-10, 10:28 AM
USMCLexus
Driver

Hello, HMT. How are you? I believe from my own experience that it is possible to rollback the digital odometer and one way I KNOW for sure is because I had to do it once. I owned a 99 ToyCam and the dash cluster had a simple maintanence required light up. Now, the car ran fine I reminds you but b/c of the light, I could not pass the annual emission test in the state of Texas. Having said that, I went onto the ebay and purchased one for around $50 used. I installed the cluster at a local car repair shop ($300). Now here it goes - I read the cluster gauge odometer and it read milage from the other as in the original car the cluster was taken out from and not the current car I was driving. I was advised by the repairman to keep the repair billing which recorded the milage which I did. The point is yes, it is possible to rollback, just by replacing the cluster of the car. By the way, I'm new to this website as you can see. Last week ago, I bought an 02 GS3 for 10 grand w/79,900 miles on it. Again thanks to old people. Before this car, my daily driver was a 1989 Nissan 300 ZX.4 seater.N/T.Z31/248.950 miles!
Old 07-07-10, 03:35 PM
hmt
Rookie

Found this 01 GS430 with 41K miles...it's very clean...they agree to sell it to me for $15,300 out the door...is this a good deal? Carfax looks clean....this has navi and extra clean...
Old 07-07-10, 10:18 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that is a good price but for that money that you putting out I would suggest looking at another GS with a little more millage. These car are well built and you would save somewhere around $5,00-$7,000.

As for odo rollback. Lets say I been offer to make it not run like an on/off switch. In the digital world anything is possible to crack.
Old 07-08-10, 04:11 AM
gzhottt
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes they can roll back the odameter on any car. $250-500 a pop...depending on the car.
Old 07-08-10, 07:00 AM
hmt
Rookie

Found one more (not the color that I like), but same distance. 03 GS430 with 108K miles. I think I can ask them to sell it to me $11K out the door. what you guys think i should get......decision, decision, decision.

01 GS430 41K miles $15,300
03 GS430 108K miles $11,000

They're both flawless
Old 07-08-10, 11:24 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

As a recent shopper like yourself, If both cars are perfect, I would get the '03 GS. 108K miles on this car is nothing but if mileage/newness is important to you - get the '01.. But IMO - The '03 is the best choice/value... Good Luck!!
Old 07-09-10, 05:36 AM
hmt
Rookie

The '03 owner is not responding to my emails, so I went and bought the '01 (yes mileage is important factor to me). Seeing the car in person for the first time, it's flawless. Not even a single scratch, dent, or ding...I was shocked to see how new it is. It was 2 hours drive each way, but it's worth it. The only thing that I found wrong is heated seat is not working, so I need to do some research to find out why (could just be the fuse, but the lights are on when I pressed it). After a few complaints, they did drop another $300, so it's not too bad.
Old 07-09-10, 11:38 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hmt
The '03 owner is not responding to my emails, so I went and bought the '01 (yes mileage is important factor to me). Seeing the car in person for the first time, it's flawless. Not even a single scratch, dent, or ding...I was shocked to see how new it is. It was 2 hours drive each way, but it's worth it. The only thing that I found wrong is heated seat is not working, so I need to do some research to find out why (could just be the fuse, but the lights are on when I pressed it). After a few complaints, they did drop another $300, so it's not too bad.
Nice pickup, Congrats!! Post some pics..
Old 07-09-10, 11:58 AM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

My 02 has 80k and was driven off the lot in mid-01... not super low, but lower than normal.

Quick Reply: Odometer rollback...Is it possible???