GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

parkHard x VIP = DpromGS

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-19, 07:49 PM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by firelizard
Stiff springs, don't turn the wheels while going over bumps, have clearance throughout the suspension's travel.
Even with my dampers adjusted all the way to the right, I still get hit the fenders over bumps. I guess that means my springs are trash.
Old 05-24-19, 06:50 AM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

If you hit the fenders going over bumps in a straight line, you just have poor fitment or your springs are too soft for the fitment you're attempting. Dampers control motion, but spring rates ultimately determine how much your suspension will compress. To actually drive a car with extremely tight fitment takes much stiffer springs (and dampers to match) than a normal sporty low car. Static-dropped cars with impossible looking fitments (where suspension travel isn't an option) might be running spring rates over 20kg/mm, up to 60kg/mm, maybe more. Serial Nine / Stance Nova coilovers for the GS come with 30k/20k spring rates for that stance
Basically what it comes down to are three options:
1. don't have suspension travel
2. have a clear path for suspension travel or
3. deal with the noise.
One thing that photos and videos with music don't show you is that a lot of stanced cars sound like they're dragging a trash can full of rocks, and can't actually turn their wheels lock to lock, but the owners just deal with it. Especially back when high spring rate coilovers were harder to find.
Old 05-24-19, 07:04 AM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by firelizard
If you hit the fenders going over bumps in a straight line, you just have poor fitment or your springs are too soft for the fitment you're attempting. Dampers control motion, but spring rates ultimately determine how much your suspension will compress. To actually drive a car with extremely tight fitment takes much stiffer springs (and dampers to match) than a normal sporty low car. Static-dropped cars with impossible looking fitments (where suspension travel isn't an option) might be running spring rates over 20kg/mm, up to 60kg/mm, maybe more. Serial Nine / Stance Nova coilovers for the GS come with 30k/20k spring rates for that stance
Basically what it comes down to are three options:
1. don't have suspension travel
2. have a clear path for suspension travel or
3. deal with the noise.
One thing that photos and videos with music don't show you is that a lot of stanced cars sound like they're dragging a trash can full of rocks, and can't actually turn their wheels lock to lock, but the owners just deal with it. Especially back when high spring rate coilovers were harder to find.
Thanks, now I know. I guess people who go vip need aftermarket subs as well, to drown out the scraping noises 😂.

Yeah, I'm more inclined to think it's my springs, I think it's the 20yr old stock springs, they're basically rusty and old. Only option now is I guess to adjust ride height and raise it about an inch and half and hopefully that'll be enough. Thanks!