GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-12, 08:46 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Can anyone ellaborate on the symptoms of a bad "mode" servo? I will be replacing both driver and passenger temp. servos, but am undecided on the "mode" servo.
Old 08-17-12, 06:05 PM
shark13
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After cleaning and testing the air/mix servo, has anyone ever experienced a situation where the servo does not move for all the degree changes. Mine gets to about 72 degrees and stops moving when I adjust the temperature lower. What I have also noticed is a sizeable movement from "Hot" to 85 degrees (the next temperature setting. Instead of moving incrementally from "Hot" to 85 degrees it moves quite a bit. I think the extra distance it's traveling is causing the problem. Is something wrong with the potentiometer? Any ideas.
Old 08-17-12, 08:43 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I hear noises in my center vents like clicking, but i have never had a problem with airflow or tempeture, are mine messed up too?
Old 08-18-12, 08:11 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
I hear noises in my center vents like clicking, but i have never had a problem with airflow or tempeture, are mine messed up too?
Yes.

Mine have done it intermittantly since 2009, never fixed them lol.
Old 08-27-12, 09:27 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BEST THREAD EVER.
Had this same issue with my 2003 ES300....annoying rattle behind the passenger side dashboard and climate control temp operation for the passenger side was wonky (would be slightly off from driver's side).
Followed instructions from this thread to clean grease off the potentiometer/gear/contacts..they had tons of contaminated grease on them..also removed the motor and applied adhesive to the worm gear because it was loose on the motor shaft, applied existing grease to the driven gears and reassembled everything - broke two of the tabs on the casing and glued them back on - and IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!!!!!!!!
No more noise, operation is normal again. Thank God for this thread!
The servo was kind of a pain to get in and out but the fix was simple.
List price on the servo was $178.00!
Old 09-05-12, 10:36 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

this thread is pretty dope.
The following users liked this post:
dosik2 (07-02-22)
Old 10-05-12, 03:39 PM
jcorava
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RX300 Servo Motor replacement with PICS

I have saved a boat-load of benjamins with the help of this site ... thought I would return the favor. Here is a step-by-step instructions for removing servomotor (s) from a 1st generation RX.

Part 1.

1. With your hands, remove panel underneath glove compartment

2. With a 10mm socket remove the two bolts below the glove compartment door.

3. Open glove compartment, with #2 Phillips screwdriver remove the two screws located in the top corners.

4. Pull out the glove compartment with your hands. There will be a yellow bundle of cables that needs to be detached in order to move the glove compartment out of the way.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-1-panel-below-glovecomp.jpg   DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-2-bolts-below-glove.jpg   DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-2i-bolts-below-glove.jpg   DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-3-screw-in-glove.jpg   DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-3i-screw-in-glove.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
Measured (10-06-17)
Old 10-05-12, 04:20 PM
jcorava
Driver School Candidate

Default RX300 Servo Motor repair/replace

Part II

***BONUS*** take this time to replace your cabin air filter - I found a mouse nest in mine...nice

5. With a flat-head screwdriver, turn the panel screw counter clockwise, then remove the panel that is under the center console by the passengers feet, by pulling the end closest to the engine. Sorry - no pic.

6. With a #1 Phillips screwdriver, remove the three screws attaching the white plastic air vent (see RED marks in pic for locations of screws - 1 is loose, 1 is remove, 1 is hidden)

7. TAKE SOME DECENT QUALITY PICS OF THE SERVO MOTORS and THEIR CONTROL ARMS - note the position of the control arms (SEE RED IN ATTACHED PIC)

8. TURN THE INGITION KEY TWICE AND NOTE WHAT SETTING THE AIR IS SET TO (ie. foot, foot and head, front defrost, or front defrost and foot) - 7& 8 are important for reinstallation

9. With a #1 Phillips screwdriver (stubby and/or screwdriver attached to ratchet are needed), remove the screws holding the first servo motor (locations noted in RED) - the backmost screw is partially behind the heating/cooling tubes...you must push in hard on your screwdriver while turning otherwise it is easy to strip the head
Attached Thumbnails DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-4-cabin-filter-cover.jpg   DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-4i-cabin-filter.jpg   DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-6-air-duct.jpg   DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-7-servos-and-control-arms.jpg   DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-9-first-servo-screws.jpg  

Last edited by jcorava; 10-05-12 at 05:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jcorava:
Measured (10-06-17), ungern (08-19-21)
Old 10-05-12, 04:42 PM
jcorava
Driver School Candidate

Default RX300 Servo Motor Remove/Repair/Replace

Part III

10. Remove the first servo - TAKE A PIC FROM THE BACK - and note the position of the control arm (RED) relative to the body of the servo (GREEN) - you want to make sure you reassemble (assuming you are doing a repair) in the same position - disconnect leads from top of servo

11. Pry open the servo - NOTE: pry tabs are fragile - most of mine broke when using a screwdriver (Sorry NO PIC)

12. Clean copper contacts and wheel with a Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol

13. Apply Dielectric grease to copper contacts and wheel (Sorry - no pic - same spot as was just cleaned)

14. NOTE: not sure if this is important - but probably a good idea to note the position of the motor before you remove from the servo so the leads do not get reversed

15. NOTE: screw gear has a notch - this needs to be seated onto the shaft of the motor
Attached Thumbnails DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-10-remove-1st-servo.jpg   DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-11i-clean-1st-servo-contacts.jpg   DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-11-clean-1st-servo-wheel.jpg   DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-14-screw-gear-has-notch.jpg  
Old 10-05-12, 04:56 PM
jcorava
Driver School Candidate

Part IV

16. Remove lead from 2nd servo

17. Remove upper screw (RED circle) with #1 Phillips screwdriver and lower screw (RED arrow) with #1 Phillips screwdriver - NOTE: this screw is partially hidden behind the heating cooling tubes - need to push the screwdriver HARD then twist otherwise easy to strip the head

18. Remove rear screw - need to crawl in to see this one - good news is there is a little more room so a longer #1 Phillips screwdriver should fit

19. Remove the servo and as with the other servo TAKE A PIC of the location of the control arm BEFORE you pry open

20. Clean contacts and contact wheel and regrease as you did with other servo.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-16-remove-lead-from-2nd-servo.jpg   DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-17-remove-bottom-screw-2nd-servo.jpg   DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-18-remove-back-screw-2nd-servo.jpg   DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-19-2nd-servo-before-opening.jpg   DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-20-2nd-servo-before-cleaning.jpg  

Last edited by jcorava; 10-05-12 at 05:09 PM. Reason: forgot image
Old 10-05-12, 05:37 PM
jcorava
Driver School Candidate

Part V

21. Reinstall the lower servo - note in the attached pic - the control arm of the servo has a metal pin sticking out - this pin needs to seat into the slot on the arm that is connected to the car (RED arrow)

22. Reinstall the upper servo - same attached pic - the control arm of this servo also has a metal pin that must seat into its corresponding slot (BLUE arrow) ... in addition, there is a pin attached to the metal arm (GREEN arrow) that is attached to the car - this pin must seat into the slot in the control arm of the servo

23. Connect lead wires and tighten all screws.

23. Turn ignition key two spots - check that fan is working and mode can change from feet to head to front defrost

NOTE: if the control arms are in the wrong location, then the computer will not let the mode change - I had this problem - took me a while to figure it out - in order to avoid my mistake, note the mode setting of the fan before you start the work and do not change this setting ... further note the positions of the control arms BEFORE you pry the servos open.

24. Reconnect white plastic air vent with the 3 screws

25. Reattach panel ... Reinsert cabin airfilter...Reinstall glove compartment...

If this solves your problem as it did mine, you just saved approximately $300 in parts and who knows how much in labor
Attached Thumbnails DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-21-reinstalling.jpg  
Old 10-05-12, 05:39 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I got the clicking in my vents above the navi in the middle, everything works fine but this clicking is driving me nuts, how do I know which one needs replaced?
Old 10-05-12, 07:18 PM
TimWalker
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you fingershop for taking the time to do the writeup and to everyone else for their input too
i need to fix my driver side servo in the morning as it is stuck on full heat.
Old 10-08-12, 06:08 AM
jcorava
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
I got the clicking in my vents above the navi in the middle, everything works fine but this clicking is driving me nuts, how do I know which one needs replaced?
The bottom servo controls the temperature - so, if you set your air to cold but hot is coming out , or vice versa, then I would service/replace this unit.

The top servo controls the vents that receive air - so if you request air only at your feet, but it is coming out at your head and/or the front windshield, then I would service/replace this unit.

Having said than, in my car ('02 RX300 with 171,000 miles) the air system was working fine, but there was a sound coming from the center console area -best way I can describe the noise is "gerbil running around in a can." Given the price of these units, I decided to attempt to service them first - so, I removed both of my servo motors, opened them, cleaned all contact points and applied fresh dielectric grease. Currently, my noise is gone. I did not see anything out of place (i.e. skipping gears) just dirty contacts).

Here is a URL for a YouTube video that shows the upper servo motor failing. I think having a look like this guy did is a good idea, especially if your car is making this kind of noise. BTW - this in not the noise my car was making - FWIW.

Last edited by jcorava; 10-08-12 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-08-12, 11:31 PM
Odinson
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

jcorava, outstanding write-up and pictures! Very well done

Quick Reply: DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors