GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY AC Compressor and Condenser/Drier replacement

Old 09-24-14, 07:45 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dcz
In the event your compressor is bad, it is advised to always replace your drier. Your drier in our second gen GS is connected to our condenser. That means we have to replace both. You can buy these online for about $150. If you do not replace your drier, then you run the risk of ruining your next compressor due to contaminates in the line. (Also, not replacing the drier will void the warranty on your new compressor). Keep in mind that your compressor fails for a reason. Whether its due to lack of oil, worn out, or whatever, the metal components in the compressor shave off and accumulate in the lines/drier and other parts on your AC system. I know from experience that if you do not replace your drier that it definitely can screw up your new compressor. A friend of mine replaced his compressor twice without replacing the drier and each time the new compressor failed within 2 weeks. That is enough for me to take the advice I was given and spend an extra $150 and do it right.
I went to the dealer today and they informed me that my compressor is bad. I see that rockauto has the condenser with the drier or the drier bag by itself. Can anyone tell me if the condenser really needs to be replaced and I can't just put in a new drier? I'm waiting on an estimate report from lexus since I forgot my copy at the dealer. I know the drier was mentioned on the estimate but I don't think the condenser was mentioned.
Old 09-25-14, 03:38 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tiger4life
I went to the dealer today and they informed me that my compressor is bad. I see that rockauto has the condenser with the drier or the drier bag by itself. Can anyone tell me if the condenser really needs to be replaced and I can't just put in a new drier? I'm waiting on an estimate report from lexus since I forgot my copy at the dealer. I know the drier was mentioned on the estimate but I don't think the condenser was mentioned.
It's a lot of work to repair the ac and do it correctly meaning yes, replace the drier, compressor, O rings, PAG oil, flush the lines and vacuum the moisture out. Don't skip any steps or you'll be repairing your ac in a few months. Just my .02
Old 09-25-14, 06:40 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
by what tests did they determine this?
I did not ask them for a test report, I should have Unfortunately, I have already ordered the condenser and compressor from Rockauto.

its not so bad if you get a decent manifold set and good vac. new compressors typically come loaded with PAG. putting in a new drier means adding some PAG to the condenser. not all terribly hard to do, but definitely need right tools for a full DIY.

i might suggest to DIY the parts but let a local AC place to vac and fill.
I bought a new Denso compressor and condenser. Both should be loaded with PAG already right? I found a shop who wanted to charge $500 labor if I brought the parts. It wasn't the most organized shop but it's my only local option. The dealer wanted $2000

I would prefer to do as you said and put the parts in and just have someone vac and fill. I would need to flush the system myself though and I don't have an air compressor. Need to see if I can get a hold of one. I really prefer to do as much of it as I can because I don't like having others work on my car, especially with so many half a$$ shops in my area.
Old 09-30-14, 08:34 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

my condenser (Denso first-time-fit) did not come with oil in it. the lexus maint manual says to add PAG to condenser when replacing condenser. see attached PDF. $500 doesnt sound too bad for the labor needed to do the install and recharge. do they give a 12mo warranty? tell them to get a TIS daily pass, get all the maint data they need to do the job, and make sure they have torq wrenches. you even need to replace the o-rings on line fittings....

i would let them do it all so to minimize the lines and parts being exposed to moisture in the air.
I got the same condenser and the Denso compressor as well. They showed up today in fact. I don't know if they have access to TIS, but they accessed something on the computer to get labor. I have some TIS stuff on my computer. I may look for the other stuff and bring it with me as I believe I have the shop do it. Thanks.
Old 10-07-14, 07:12 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

I just got my condenser/drier and compressor changed today. I just went drive it and checked the center vent temp tonight. It's currently 78°F, 91% humidity outside. I drove it around at about 35-40 mph and put the AC on 65°F and max fan speed. I got 47°F at the center vent. I then parked the car and at 65 and the lowest fan speed, I got 32.4°F. That sound like proper temps to you guys?
Old 10-07-14, 07:32 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

You are just about making ice cubes...
Old 04-16-16, 04:06 PM
Fili400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if he only flushed the the lines from the condenser to the compressor with this method, or did he flush across the expansion valve?

I don't think this method will allow you to flush the evaporator since the expansion valve is in the way.
Old 04-18-16, 05:24 AM
dcz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fili400
Does anyone know if he only flushed the the lines from the condenser to the compressor with this method, or did he flush across the expansion valve?

I don't think this method will allow you to flush the evaporator since the expansion valve is in the way.

I flushed everything. I believe I removed my expansion valve and just replaced it while I was there. I remember doing the flush in two different areas.
Old 06-07-19, 07:23 PM
Gixxed_Spyder
Driver School Candidate

It's getting hot in Texas! Looks like the clutch is stuck, I guess it's time to replace the compressor/dryer and flush the system? I've got zero air blowing, hot or cold, a/c on or off - Was driving and it everything just stopped and the A/C button on the touch screen started flashing. I took a video of the compressor: Video:

Question: Do I have to replace the drive belt also since the pulley was froze and the belt is just spinning around it?

Edit: seems like the complete kit is available on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Compressor-Repair-Lexus-GS400-GS430/dp/B015HU68LC/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Lexus%7C75&Model=GS430%7C1000&Year=2003%7C2003&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive https://www.amazon.com/Compressor-Repair-Lexus-GS400-GS430/dp/B015HU68LC/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Lexus%7C75&Model=GS430%7C1000&Year=2003%7C2003&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Deepak

Last edited by Gixxed_Spyder; 06-07-19 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-08-19, 09:20 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Gixxed_Spyder
It's getting hot in Texas! Looks like the clutch is stuck, I guess it's time to replace the compressor/dryer and flush the system? I've got zero air blowing, hot or cold, a/c on or off - Was driving and it everything just stopped and the A/C button on the touch screen started flashing. I took a video of the compressor: Video: https://youtu.be/K-06WbbVaEk

Question: Do I have to replace the drive belt also since the pulley was froze and the belt is just spinning around it?

Edit: seems like the complete kit is available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Compressor-Re...ype=automotive

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Deepak

You should replace the drive belt not because of the pulley, but because the belt looks pretty bad (brownish color). It’s a good time for a new belt.
Old 06-09-19, 08:40 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Personally, I'd go with the denso unit. Do like that it has all the o-rings, condensor and compressor. Do let us know how it turns out...
The following users liked this post:
wbmx1981 (06-09-19)
Old 06-11-19, 08:51 PM
microsup
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a grinding noice coming from AC pulley. Trying to find a replacement part. What I found is about a price for the new compressor. I found new Denso compressor with clutch for $260 on Amazon. Does any one know where to get just a rotor or clutch assembly for less than a cost of a new unit?
I am thinking to remove the clutch with rotor without disconnecting compressor, than disconnect pulley from new compressor and put it on an old one. I could actually take out rotor and try to find a bearing, but it is much more hassle.
what do you guys think, is my idea good enough or I should replace the whole compressor.
Old 09-10-19, 05:37 PM
pilotbob3
Driver School Candidate

Just a note of thanks to DCZ for this excellent post. I just replaced my compressor/condensor/drier with your notes and it worked perfectly.

I had a nice mobile air conditioning guy (if you are in Silicon Valley check out Terry from AC Mobile). He evacuated the system and refilled for $100. He put the right amount of oil and refrigerant.

Bought all the components off of Amazon. Paid $240 for a new Denso compressor and $70 for a condensor. I figure I spent about 4 hours of wrench time to remove/replace (but I'm pretty slow).
Old 06-29-20, 08:38 AM
Oceans13
Intermediate

Received 209 Likes on 129 Posts

Hello Club Lexus. I have a 2004 GS300. My AC was blowing weaker and not as cool recently, I checked the low pressure AC service port and it was at 25 PSI.. I took it to the local shop and had the freon refilled. It blew cool again. They said my condenser was leaking, they wanted $450 to put in a refurbished one. Im thinking of doing it myself, looking at new / refurbished ones on Amazon and Rock Auto. In the mean time I bought a can of freon with leak sealer, we'll see how it goes.
Old 06-30-20, 05:29 AM
Oceans13
Intermediate

Received 209 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by dcz
Attachment 436178 Here is a picture of the location of the expansion valve. Notice the steering column in the bottom left hand corner going into the firewall.... hopefully that will give you some sort of idea of where I am talking abotu
Am I looking in the right area?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY AC Compressor and Condenser/Drier replacement