GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Speedometer problem, everything works but speed needle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-14, 11:24 AM
MsRubio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy speedometer & mileage display gone haywire...

Just purchased a used 2000 ES300. Speedometer is only registering until about 50 mph then the needle just stays around 50-55 mph. Also, the mileage display screen only shows partial numbers. None of the numbers are complete therefore, I cannot tell what actual mileage is. The person I bought the car from knew about the problem but wasn't sure how to fox. I bought the car as is and would really like to get this fixed. Any suggestions? I'm hoping there's a fuse or a reset trick that will work.
Old 02-27-14, 09:21 PM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopping in this old thread because Im still looking up info for 02 GS. Previos owner told me the front driver side ABS sensor was damaged somehow. I have VSC, VSC OFF, ABS lights on, Speedo is at 0. And ODO is not incrementing. I heard that when your speedo and odometer are not moving at all, that it is one of the two Speed sensors in the rear by the transmission.

So if I have VSC, VSC OFF, and ABS lights on the dash, with the Speedo at 0 and Odometer not moving. What do I replace?

I guess its best to just hook up a scan tool, it could tell me exactly what needs replacing.
Old 02-28-14, 05:32 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

do these cars have speedo cables from tranny to speedo head?
Old 05-02-15, 01:09 PM
mateo617
Driver School Candidate

Default reset

Can you send me the link on j own to reset that too I have the same issue with my car
Old 04-23-16, 09:03 AM
l3xgs400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kip
Like title says, everything works, besides speed needle, so i first hooked it up to a computer and drove, and the computer picked up how fast i was going, so i thought it was a bad cluster, bought and paid $350 for a 100% working one, and does the exact same thing. someone else suggested speed sensors, my car has 2, so i replaced them both, no dice. car is a 98 lexus gs400. Are there any fuses, or wires i should trace, or any other suggestions? running out of options, would like to know how fast im going, and oh yeah, the mileage doesn't add up either it's at 82,700 miles. And I bought the car in this situation, so i dont know the history.
Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm having the same issue
Old 04-23-16, 09:12 AM
l3xgs400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
Open your hood. Locate the box in picture #1. Open the box as seen in picture #2. Remove the metal pin in the bottom inside of the box as seen in picture number 2. Take a wire cut on both ends and insert it into the two ports as seen in Picture #3 (notice pin is still in pic 3, it shouldn't be. Didn't feel like taking it out).

Go inside the car with the wire connected. Put key in ignition to on position but don't start car. Then pump the brake pedal rapidly for 5 seconds. You will see all your indash lights begin to flash on the dash. Take the key out. Turn the car on and drive it, hopefully your speedometer works. If not, then there is underlying sensor or wire issue.
Remove what metal pin?
Old 04-23-16, 10:22 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

We have 4 ABS wheel speed sensors.
When they go bad these lights come on.

If all 4 go bad, the speedometer stops working.

Replace all 4 at the wheels and reset ECU.

That's how you fix it.
Replace between 1-3 and your speedometer will work again but the lights will remain until all 4 are replaced.

Hope this helps

Originally Posted by Aristo722
Hopping in this old thread because Im still looking up info for 02 GS. Previos owner told me the front driver side ABS sensor was damaged somehow. I have VSC, VSC OFF, ABS lights on, Speedo is at 0. And ODO is not incrementing. I heard that when your speedo and odometer are not moving at all, that it is one of the two Speed sensors in the rear by the transmission.

So if I have VSC, VSC OFF, and ABS lights on the dash, with the Speedo at 0 and Odometer not moving. What do I replace?

I guess its best to just hook up a scan tool, it could tell me exactly what needs replacing.
Old 04-23-16, 01:59 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I subscribed to this thread just in case something happen with my cluster. Thanks button please. :-)
Old 04-23-16, 02:38 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcon
I subscribed to this thread just in case something happen with my cluster. Thanks button please. :-)
Yes we do need the thanks button lol!!!

It's time. My GS300 had this problem and now I'm worried my GS400 will eventually need these sensors replaced.
So far so good

Grabbed 2 extra ones at my local pick and pull just in case I may need them someday.
Old 04-28-16, 04:07 AM
l3xgs400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tiguy99
We have 4 ABS wheel speed sensors.
When they go bad these lights come on.

If all 4 go bad, the speedometer stops working.

Replace all 4 at the wheels and reset ECU.

That's how you fix it.
Replace between 1-3 and your speedometer will work again but the lights will remain until all 4 are replaced.

Hope this helps
I've recently fixed my speedo and odo problem by using the reset method , worked like a charm, I didn't need any new wheel sensors
Old 05-08-16, 02:37 PM
sportzcoop
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone! Love this site and decided I should start contributing. My speedo not working will be where I start.

I see some other's are having this same issue. Mine has gone out very briefly a couple times in the last year on my 97 SC300. It did it again yesterday for an extended period so I am now searching through what some of you have done and will start their. Will report back what I find.

To clarify, my speedometer won't move and my odometer screen goes completely blank.

All other gauges and screens work properly consistently.

Thanks for all your posts! I've referenced them more than a few times since I got this car. Loving it though!

Last edited by sportzcoop; 06-02-16 at 01:50 PM. Reason: update info
Old 06-02-16, 01:48 PM
sportzcoop
Driver School Candidate

Default Speedo and Odo don't work in the heat???

So an update on my last post. Hopefully this one gets a response because I haven't been able to turn up anything searching.

To refresh my speedo has not been coming on when I start the car sporadically and is happening more frequently lately as it warms up outside. Also when this happens my odometer screen goes completely blank. SO I think a VSS is probably NOT the culprit.

I hadn't done an update because when I went out to mess with it everything was working again. It has happened a couple more times since though and I noticed that it is happen when it gets above 80+ degrees outside.

Anyone had this happen with heat?

Could this be a faulty fuse and if so which one would it be?

Any ideas of what to check before I rip the dash apart would be much appreciated.

OR what I should check when I do rip the dash out.
Old 04-19-17, 08:14 AM
Khamoa
Driver School Candidate

Default Technical difficulties...

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
Open your hood. Locate the box in picture #1. Open the box as seen in picture #2. Remove the metal pin in the bottom inside of the box as seen in picture number 2. Take a wire cut on both ends and insert it into the two ports as seen in Picture #3 (notice pin is still in pic 3, it shouldn't be. Didn't feel like taking it out).

Go inside the car with the wire connected. Put key in ignition to on position but don't start car. Then pump the brake pedal rapidly for 5 seconds. You will see all your indash lights begin to flash on the dash. Take the key out. Turn the car on and drive it, hopefully your speedometer works. If not, then there is underlying sensor or wire issue.
I have actually tested this method. I have actually somehow have some substance, which appears to be peanutbutter smeared over the ports pictured. I did my best to clean it out to attempt. I turned the key, pumped rapidly for 5sec., heard a prolonged beep, removed the key, started the car and proceeded to drive with the wire still connected. Is it possible the "peanutbutter-like" substance is effecting the process? My needle nor odo have been altered.
Old 07-27-17, 10:35 AM
KingChris
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the written tutorial this has been a real help for me. My speed sensor works now
Old 07-28-17, 06:45 PM
burteboy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default speedo neddle inop.

You have picture of the wires get an volt meter and ohm out the violet wire from athe abs ecu and the blue wire at the combination meter. unplug the abs ecu connectors and the combination meter wires connect your black probe to ground and take the red and place it at any end of the blue or the violet and check if you have continuity to ground. if you have thats your problem its grounding that why its not moving the needle. Keep me posted.

Quick Reply: Speedometer problem, everything works but speed needle?