GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What's your aftermarket sub setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-10, 12:04 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSJake
Your setup looks clean and out of the way.
Where did you get that box?
its actually a custom fiber glass box. The picture doesn't really do the box justice as it looks like a box just stuffed into that cubby hole.... I got the box made at Sightwaves... we went for a floating box w/ the amps replacing the spare tire area so I could still use most of my trunk. When our baby came in, we decided to put grey carpet for the time being to not damage the setup otherwise everything would be painted gloss black.
Old 03-23-10, 12:42 PM
978NastyGs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SWTGS
single 12" JL W7 with JL 1000/1 amp
+1 I have the same setup and it sounds great.
Old 03-23-10, 12:59 PM
djduckii
Pole Position

im running a 10in Alpine Type R
Old 03-24-10, 01:04 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

mine... pheonix gold dvc 10" soon to be 12" in OEM location.

first time building a box or anything.

Just finished a few hours ago so no cosmetic added.

Last edited by sam430; 03-24-10 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-24-10, 01:09 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't do the aftermarket sub if you are not gonna amp that sucker. I suggest the super small but powerful PDX 4 -150wrms amp(under rated).
Old 03-24-10, 09:27 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
mine... pheonix gold dvc 10" soon to be 12" in OEM location.

first time building a box or anything.

Just finished a few hours ago so no cosmetic added.
it took me a sec to figure out what this was....i at first thought it was the license plate area with one light out but then i realized its a pic of the trunk showing the light and the box.

Last edited by sakataj; 03-24-10 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-24-10, 05:34 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

3 JL 8s powered buy a JL 500/1 sounds clean and the box is mounted up where the stock sub use to be with the subs firing down
Old 03-24-10, 05:48 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

I highly suggest any of you guys that do the whole JL, Mb Quartz, Diamon Audio type setups to try looking into Hertz... Its a european brand that I swear will blow your mind. I'm no way affiliated w/ them but will tell you they are a truly sleeper setup. Prices are up there w/ your commercial brand stuff but the quality you get far surpasses any off the shelf gear.

Hertz speakers are truly amazing.... Same with their Audison amps. Hertz amps are up there too but IMO the Audison amps is simply the best.
Old 03-24-10, 06:46 PM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

I really wanted to get Hertz component speakers, but I didn't know where too when I was looking for speakers...... I still don't know where to get them.
Old 03-24-10, 06:49 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shvc1991
I really wanted to get Hertz component speakers, but I didn't know where too when I was looking for speakers...... I still don't know where to get them.
they're barely entering the United States... here in CA there are only a few shops that carry them.... I'll ask my shop where they sell them in Mass.
Old 03-24-10, 06:50 PM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

If you could, that would be great! Thanks!
Old 03-24-10, 07:35 PM
ErseOne
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UptownGS
Space was a big issue for me as i carry a stroller in the back.... The Hertz audio line was one of the best sounding setups I've ever heard. I went w/ Hertz throughout the entire car.... Its a true SQ setup w/ nice tight bass. Couple that w/ an Audison amp and you'll put alot of gear out there to shame...

Hertz / Audison owned by parent company Electromedia hand made in Italy. The HQ where Audison is R&D'd and made and the Hertz HQ in Rome are all ran by Pantaleone and Vagnoni who run a small staff, NOT a 1000 employee assembly line. Imagine that, a company who truly runs with R&D. Pantaleone and Vagnoni started the Audison brand out of an office ironically located on the same street as the inventor of the radio, Guglielmo Marconi.

Fun Fact

Audison was the first electronics manufacturer in the world to:
* Design an amplifier with an adjustable gain control
* Design an amplifier with a balanced RCA system
* Design a dedicated subwoofer amplifier
* Design a 5-channel amplifier
* Design a dedicated 5.1-channel amplifier for use with multichannelprocessors
* Design an amplifier with selectable damping factor

nice setup would like to know what you're running
Old 03-24-10, 08:09 PM
airmax
Pole Position

I highly suggest any of you guys that do the whole JL, Mb Quartz, Diamon Audio type setups to try looking into Hertz... Its a european brand that I swear will blow your mind. I'm no way affiliated w/ them but will tell you they are a truly sleeper setup. Prices are up there w/ your commercial brand stuff but the quality you get far surpasses any off the shelf gear.

Hertz speakers are truly amazing.... Same with their Audison amps. Hertz amps are up there too but IMO the Audison amps is simply the best.
my good friend mr exec should be done with his set up in the next few weeks, he went with hertz and audison amps. i cant wait to hear it.
eventually i will redo my trunk set up, i was thinking about swapping my single JL for a pair of IDmax, its still kinda in the air.. after that ill eventually swap my mbq's for something else. just not 100% sure what yet. then thankfully ill be able to throw this set up away.
Old 03-24-10, 08:19 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

I second this. I too run Hertz and those damn Italians know their shtuff In addition to Hertz, I'd also suggest Morel and Rainbow . Dont think that Sound Quality doesnt hit, cause in addition to great sound, you get some sweet clean bass Audison does make a great amp as stated above.

In addition for noobs and/or those who dont know much about car audio... Stay away from brands you know if you know them, they're probably junk yea, they can sound great, but IMO top of the line top shelf brands would probably compare to entry level of those brands which you havent heard of.
Old 03-24-10, 08:33 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ErseOne
nice setup would like to know what you're running
I have Hertz Energy components up front.... and their coaxials in the rear....
the trunk w/ Hertz Energy subs.... I'm powering everything w/ some older Memphis Audio amps from a previous sponsorship. It was their top of the line stuff and has held up nicely.... I will definitely be going full Audison and upgrading the speakers to Mille in the future when the car is less of a baby transporter.

The Hertz rep here in Socal hooked me up pretty good since I got a really good recommendation from Omar at Sightwaves. Originally was going all the way but baby came first....

Originally Posted by airmax
my good friend mr exec should be done with his set up in the next few weeks, he went with hertz and audison amps. i cant wait to hear it.
eventually i will redo my trunk set up, i was thinking about swapping my single JL for a pair of IDmax, its still kinda in the air.. after that ill eventually swap my mbq's for something else. just not 100% sure what yet. then thankfully ill be able to throw this set up away.
Your friends car is gonna sound great... I have the Energy line which is more entry level stuff and the sound is amazing.... At the time I wasn't too familiar with Hertz so just tried out their entry level stuff since my shop sightwaves was giving them such rave reviews... now that I know whats up.... I'm definitely going to upgrade to the Mille on Audison.

PS I previously ran IDMAX in the trunk and its a great amp.... my Hertz subs aren't powered as much as my IDMAX were but still give me more than enough bass.... I'm only powering the Hertz subs w/ about 300wrms each compared to the 600 I was juicing the IDMAX before.

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
I second this. I too run Hertz and those damn Italians know their shtuff In addition to Hertz, I'd also suggest Morel and Rainbow . Dont think that Sound Quality doesnt hit, cause in addition to great sound, you get some sweet clean bass Audison does make a great amp as stated above.

In addition for noobs and/or those who dont know much about car audio... Stay away from brands you know if you know them, they're probably junk yea, they can sound great, but IMO top of the line top shelf brands would probably compare to entry level of those brands which you havent heard of.
I've personally thought the Morel stuff was just a tad over priced compared to the other high end stuff in that price range. I just feel the Hertz line up is way more affordable and better sound quality which is subjective.... I personally found Morel to be too bright but some people like that. Rainbow is up there in my book as well....

Quick Reply: What's your aftermarket sub setup