GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Possible Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-11, 10:10 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SorrGwa
i bought the car used, i believe the windshield has been replaced before because there's no toyota stamp on the windshield.

the commonality between all of us with this issue?
The oem windshield doesnt have a toyota stamp from what I seen on mine and my friends.
Old 09-29-11, 06:43 AM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well, winter project i guess. i was gonna spend this winter sound proofing the car anyways. going to give it a try at SQ this coming year. I didnt think of it until my audio installer (soundsgoodauto.com) cheap plug in, said that with all my requests and my build, i should consider giving it a try.

i never had this error happen before, the only thing i can think of is that car sat at the bodyshop for over 2 months. and so, the inside door panels came off for paint. possibly gotta re do the vapour barrier.

what im really interested in is how my climate control went to celcius! this was just an added bonus, as no one on CL knows how to change the climate control from F to C.

Originally Posted by sakataj
it seems to be....i was wondering why if i NEVER did anything to the dash it might not be leaking anymore but now its starting to make sense. when that chunk of concrete punched a hole in my floor and they had to reweld my floorboard i wonder if the added insulation they did underneath my car plugged a hole that could have possibly been letting water in.....either way no more issues for me since doing those, or knock on wood no issues to date
Old 09-29-11, 10:50 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder78
The oem windshield doesnt have a toyota stamp from what I seen on mine and my friends.
they should have a LEXUS stamp on it.....not the toyota stamp vlad ALL OEM glass has it even the sunroof

well, winter project i guess. i was gonna spend this winter sound proofing the car anyways. going to give it a try at SQ this coming year. I didnt think of it until my audio installer (soundsgoodauto.com) cheap plug in, said that with all my requests and my build, i should consider giving it a try.

i never had this error happen before, the only thing i can think of is that car sat at the bodyshop for over 2 months. and so, the inside door panels came off for paint. possibly gotta re do the vapour barrier.

what im really interested in is how my climate control went to celcius! this was just an added bonus, as no one on CL knows how to change the climate control from F to C.
hope you get it fixed, goodluck
Old 09-29-11, 11:00 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

they should have a LEXUS stamp on it.....not the toyota stamp vlad ALL OEM glass has it even the sunroof

hope you get it fixed, goodluck
Mine never had it and I replaced it since with what the insurance company told me was "oem" glass and it still doesnt have a stamp. I guess the insurance screwed me.
Old 09-29-11, 11:31 AM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the oem glass should have a toyota stamp on it.

they may have replaced your windshield with an OE glass, but not OEM.

insurance will try its best to keep costs down as much as possible. they are a business afterall.
Old 09-29-11, 11:43 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spyder78
Mine never had it and I replaced it since with what the insurance company told me was "oem" glass and it still doesnt have a stamp. I guess the insurance screwed me.
your OEM glass DID have it, all OEM lexus glass does. they replaced that with a cheaper glass

the oem glass should have a toyota stamp on it.

they may have replaced your windshield with an OE glass, but not OEM.

insurance will try its best to keep costs down as much as possible. they are a business afterall.
again the OEM glass will say lexus like all the windows and the sunroof do, not toyota

that is true unless you insist on using OEM no OE quality they typically will not use OEM materials, thats why the repair shop i go to is a lexus repair shop they do all repairs/paint for the dealership in town and they insist on using OEM lexus parts
Old 10-17-11, 08:55 PM
KP117
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumpity Bump.

I had my windshield replaced and was having the same problem. My electronics got so wet to the point that the radio would stop working and the entire car would smell damp.

Now my car wont start and none of the electronics work except for the map lights. This is a great thread but I still cannot fiind a clear answer about WHAT is getting wet that causes these problems...

Is it the Door Ecu? The Body #1 ECU?

Can anyone help?
Old 10-17-11, 11:23 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been a year and a half and it's never happened again. I just dynamatted my doors today and didn't notice anything. Must of rained just right that week.
Old 10-18-11, 04:23 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

again the OEM glass will say lexus like all the windows and the sunroof do, not toyota
Must be 01+

All of my windows say Toyota on them. My buddy's '01 GS430 says Lexus on them.
Old 10-18-11, 06:12 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Friend of mine had a 99 Cadillac SLS that did that, when it rained he lost power locks, radio, power windows, dash lights, climate control, etc. No fuses blown, just whacky.

What I found was the drivers door was leaking and leaked into a door module. GM and probably everyone else has the car on a communication bus, and it shorted out and messed up the bus in the car. So nothing on the bus would work properly. Doors are easy places to get leaks. I tried to fix the module, but it was in pretty sad shape by the time I found it. It was blue with corrosion inside.

Take a look there. Sorry, haven't read the whole thread yet, but this might shed some light on how things are done in a car.
Old 10-18-11, 11:04 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
It's been a year and a half and it's never happened again. I just dynamatted my doors today and didn't notice anything. Must of rained just right that week.
yeah after i dynamatted my doors, i havent ever had a issue with them...

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Must be 01+

All of my windows say Toyota on them. My buddy's '01 GS430 says Lexus on them.
i wouldnt think so, i think ALL OEM glass has a OEM stamp on it UNLESS its been replaced. check daniel and some other local members and see if theirs has a lexus stamp on it
Old 10-18-11, 11:14 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Just asked Daniel and his say "Toyota" on them also.
Old 10-18-11, 11:37 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Interesting. I need to go home and check mines if it says toyota or lexus
Old 10-18-11, 11:50 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Just asked Daniel and his say "Toyota" on them also.
hmm i dunno then...do his windows say toyota or lexus? my front DEF doesnt even say toyota BUT all my sides and my sunroof DO say lexus on them

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Interesting. I need to go home and check mines if it says toyota or lexus
yeah find out john....

its odd though,some of us have fixed this with a new windshield and some have fixed it with dynamatting the doors...but MOST of us have aftermarket windshields and not the toyota or lexus windshield
Old 10-18-11, 11:52 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I don't believe my front has anything, but the door windows say Toyota. Same with Daniel.

Quick Reply: Possible Leak