ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005-184/)
-   -   VVT System Malfunction (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/458376-vvt-system-malfunction.html)

LudeNsoL 11-02-09 01:50 PM

thanks and yes I would like some more pics please. Also this is on a 300 right?

speedaddic 11-02-09 02:49 PM

from the pics, its a gs400

Clifton 11-02-09 04:10 PM

I don't have any for the 300, sorry. If the JZ's are anything like the ZZ engines it will be easy to get to. If you can't find it on there, I downloaded the whole FSM in pdf forum for $20. Covers everything on the car. I was looking for the site but can't find it. I know I found the link on CL though.

lexus ASM 11-02-09 04:22 PM

I'd like to know once you perform this screen cleaning if the code goes away. My understanding is that there is a pressure switch that goes bad causing this problem, I would think if that oil control valve went bad you would have bigger problems.

Clifton 11-02-09 06:18 PM

There isn't a pressure sensor, there is a trigger wheel in the center of the intake cams. If the cam isn't where it should be when it should be the code will be thrown. If it is too slow it will through a code. The oil control valve may still be getting enough oil, just not the volume so it has a delay. Same with 02 sensors, when they get old they get slow and then throw code even though they are still producing the proper voltage for the 02 content.

TxLexus400 11-02-09 09:51 PM

so i had this problem and the other day i did a very thoro oil change and seafoam cleaner as well. i have been driving my car the past 2 days and so far no more cel. so hopefully all is good and back to normal.

spliffygs4 11-03-09 07:47 PM

hey clifton thanks alot for the info, im gonna change the ocv's this weekend and i will let you guys know how it works out for me.

Clifton 11-04-09 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by spliffygs4 (Post 4979692)
hey clifton thanks alot for the info, im gonna change the ocv's this weekend and i will let you guys know how it works out for me.

I don't know your exact plans but I wouldn't replace them. The ocv's are pretty simple and not much can go wrong with them. I took mine out and cleaned them first then a month later ended up doing the filters. The ocv's get a lot of caked up oil crude too but the screens are really fine, kind of like a screen for a pipe or bong :D, not much goes through them when they get caked. I cleaned mine with brake cleaner.

SorrGwa 11-04-09 06:44 AM

on the 2jz 3.0L, its located just behind the intake cam sprocket on the top of the engine. you will see a black plug into what looks like a device thats in the valve cover.

to replace, unplug the plug, remove the 10mm bolt that holds the ocv in place, then give it a good yank. should come out relatively easy. some oil my spill out a little. all in all, should take you no more than a couple minutes,

or a couple hours if ur drunk, blind, deaf, cant read and prefer to use your feet.

speedaddic 11-04-09 09:03 AM

Clifton, I can't find the "pipe or bong" on my gs400's engine diagram. Do you have any diagrams of that? :cool:

jaymoe1914 05-09-10 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Clifton (Post 4975842)
It took about 5 hours to do the timing belt, new plugs, and screens. I don't know how long for just the screens. You don't need to remove the cams, just the front bearing caps. if you do it make sure you are at TDC just in case you drop the sprocket and belt. The cam sprockets needs to be loosened and moved forward to clear the bearing cover. Just don't remove the bolts all the way when doing it. There wasn't much planning on there oil screen. I've seen other Toyota engines where there is a plug that is easily accessible but not on these. If someone wants more pdf pics I can send them.

please send more pdf pics. thanks

cmara2k9 11-08-11 06:10 PM

i have a 98 gs with 89k...

I just got the p1349 bank 1 code and i was wondering
can i ride around for awhile like this or is something that should be immediately taken care of

The reason i ask is because money is kinda tight right now but i don't want anything horrible to happen

P.S. the car rides fine for now but the CEL is on and it seems to idle a little bit lower than usual

What do you think?

jaymil31 11-08-11 08:38 PM

re: My experience with this situation

Hey guys I am the proud owner of a lexus gs430 that I maintain and has not ever been to a dealer so i hope to shed some light on this vvti situation. The 1998-2000 vvti system has a oil screen that is incorporated in the system near the vvti cam actuator. You will find these both on the gs300 and gs400. Lexus remove the screen on the gs430. Usually you can remove the screen clean it and clear the code and the problem goes away. Sometimes you have to change the vvti control valve and clean the screen to get ride of the light. This is a big problem on the gs300 not so much the gs400. My suggestion to you is to clean the screen and replace the which ever vvti oil control valve you need on either the gs300 or both on the gs400. If you wait to long and allow the screen to become totally clog you may risk having to replace the vvti cam shaft actuator and this could be very expensive if you are not mechanically incline to change it which includes removing and replacing the timing belt. For you 430 guys like myself you get check engine light for vvti bank 1 or bank 2 oil control valve malfuction change them dont waste you time cleaning doesnt work and if it does its only for short while. So I hope no one is affended by my comment just from my experience.;)

cmara2k9 02-27-12 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by SorrGwa (Post 4980650)
on the 2jz 3.0L, its located just behind the intake cam sprocket on the top of the engine. you will see a black plug into what looks like a device thats in the valve cover.

to replace, unplug the plug, remove the 10mm bolt that holds the ocv in place, then give it a good yank. should come out relatively easy. some oil my spill out a little. all in all, should take you no more than a couple minutes,

I just ordered an oil control valve from sewell for my 300.

I was wondering is it really this simple to replace because I wanna do this myself but i'm a newbie at this stuff and I dont wanna break or rip any wires or anything. Can anyone confirm that it really is this simple?:egads:

BiGEZ 02-27-12 08:07 PM

It is easy on the GS 300, a 22mm wrench /socket to remove the Bango bolt. 10 mins tops.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ve-filter.html