ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005-184/)
-   -   GunMetal Interior Project completed (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/45191-gunmetal-interior-project-completed.html)

GlobeCLK 04-18-02 06:53 PM

GunMetal Interior Project completed

1 Attachment(s)
finally, after months of painting, DIYing, and selecting materials, my custom gunmetal interior trim project is now finished. Detailed gunmetal parts include:

gauge cluster
center A/C vent
driver side A/F ratio gauge panel
passenger side A/C vent
ashtray outer edge
shift bezel
momo shift knob

center wood trim piece
4 door wood trim pieces

took me a while but hey i think it looks pretty nice. what do you think?

GlobeCLK 04-18-02 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another one

GlobeCLK 04-18-02 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
last one

enough samples. If you want to see more, go to MY PHOTO ALBUM

LS4fun 04-18-02 06:58 PM

Seems to be nice cactus man!

Got any close up pics of that center console?

CamRen 04-18-02 07:00 PM

heh heh

knew you had something going on ! :p

didnt know it would turn out this good!

looks awsome!

what kinda paint used? brand. xact color

shhh (painting my tailights transparent red as i post)

LOTC 04-18-02 07:02 PM

Nice,GABLECLK hehe:)

FutureGSorIS 04-18-02 07:27 PM

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
last one

enough samples. If you want to see more, go to M PHOTO ALBUM

The trim looks great, how did you do it? Just paint right over the wood or strip it?
That acura tl in your photo album looks real nice as well.

GS - T.O. 04-18-02 08:15 PM

Ah, exactly what I have in mind. Looks awsome!

Thanks for the pics, now I have something to convince my girlfriend to do this mod. :D

bitkahuna 04-18-02 08:38 PM

Very cool. I still like wood though.

gsnav 04-18-02 08:46 PM

Hey Globe. awesome job on the interior. Now be da man and tell us step by step how you did it, i'm sure others are very interested.

Skulinex 04-18-02 08:58 PM

As I said before, it looks as if it was a package offered from factory or something, very very nice and clean, keep it up!

GlobeCLK 04-18-02 09:15 PM

thanks for the compliments guys!

I've always thought to myself, I want a car with aluminum interior and doesn't break down, so ever since I've decided not to get the 528i and got the GS300, I've been planning this. I like wood too but I'm only 20 and aluminum is more my age. carbon fiber would be fake CF and will be stretched in weird ways.

Basically you only need a few things to get this done:

1) some paint that sticks on plastic REAL well (think about what kind of paint is used mostly on plastic)

2) some applying surface material that sticks on polished wood REAL well (think about something flexible, stretchable, and used in automotive industry alot)

3) alot of time (think something that I finally put together over a 6 month span)

and stop calling me GABLE epk and veggieggot :eek:

special thanks to Ian (D011AR man) who helped me take out the door panels. He's the guy who owns that nice Black TL in my photo albums. Without him, my doors will come off slower :D

Dvlad 04-18-02 09:55 PM

That looks unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D

I wish Lexus had an option like that!!!

How much did it cost you in paint supplies(somtimes paint for those applications isn't cheap)

Can i send in all my wood trim and you do it for me??;) I'll pay top dollar:D

GlobeCLK 04-18-02 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Dvlad
That looks unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D

I wish Lexus had an option like that!!!

How much did it cost you in paint supplies(somtimes paint for those applications isn't cheap)

Can i send in all my wood trim and you do it for me??;) I'll pay top dollar:D

total cost in parts....... Took me about $90~100 dollars. If I do it right the first time (I messed up many times due to unfamiliarity) probably cost $60~70.

I have people asking me about doing this for them........ but the thing is I CAN NOT guarantee 100% perfect work. If you look CLOSELY on my door panel, there are a few small bubbles that I CAN NOT get rid of. Applying vinyl on the trim pieces is very different from applying vinyl stickers on car exterior. You CAN NOT use water for these pieces. STICKING is very different from WRAPPING.

MichaelC 04-18-02 10:17 PM

that looks incredible; as close to a factory job as i've ever seen. does it have that cool metal touch? i guess you will NEVER be selling your car now. ever.