GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What do you do when you're bored? I weld stuff lol...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-09, 07:24 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NICE WORK
Old 07-01-09, 12:21 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Def. some nice welding for doing it on your off time.
Questions, if you don't mind...
Is there a benefit to keeping the GE style of intake vs the GTE, or is it to keep the build relatively low buck? How hard was it to weld the Pot metal intake to the sheet metal? I read 200A, I am just curious as to any other comments or concerns you have. I am trying to build a 400 Supercharger manifold, and most people I have asked said the factory pot metal intake won't weld well with the sheet metal.
Old 07-01-09, 06:03 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude you got some serious skills man, You weld, install blocks, paint, anything you DONT do, car related?
Old 07-02-09, 12:25 AM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

awesome hobby to have bro , I wish I had one and some things to practice with too
Old 07-02-09, 01:38 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Def. some nice welding for doing it on your off time.
Questions, if you don't mind...
Is there a benefit to keeping the GE style of intake vs the GTE, or is it to keep the build relatively low buck? How hard was it to weld the Pot metal intake to the sheet metal? I read 200A, I am just curious as to any other comments or concerns you have. I am trying to build a 400 Supercharger manifold, and most people I have asked said the factory pot metal intake won't weld well with the sheet metal.
It will weld, but prep work is your friend. It's a bit more difficult to weld because of how thick it is, at least for my welder because it's only a 200A unit. Not to mention I was doing this on an air cooled torch, talk about HOT!

Anyways, prep work is ur biggest hurdle when welding the cast manifold. You HAVE to make sure there are NO traces of oil or grease on the manifold or else it's going to be near impossible to weld it. I took the runners to my friends shop to go over with it with a sandblaster. It took care of 95% of it, but since cast aluminum is so porous, the oil was embedded deep into the metal(it's deep into the metal, you can't see it with your eyes). When I was welding the AC cleaning action of the welder was still continually floating contaminants up to the surface. The guy just wanted a manifold that would work well, he wasn't too picky about it looking super clean. Anyways, he could just get the whole manifold polished, chromed, or powdercoated and nobody would know the difference. So I just continued welding even with the extremely minute amont of oil embedded in the cast aluminum runners. So, if you have some serious time to spare...get a angle grinder and sand off all around the edge that you're going to weld. Get it deep enough to get rid of the bumpy casting look and have it down to a brushed/sanded aluminum look. At that point most of the contaminants should be gone and you should be able to weld just like normal after that.

Due to the runners being casted, it will be more difficult to weld than a billet or solid piece of aluminum. Just practice for a while and you will get the hang of it. Good luck man!
Old 07-02-09, 07:09 AM
Gubar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol, kid... jerk face
Old 07-02-09, 04:31 PM
3UZFTE

Jeff,
Thanks for your very detailed response. I am now a little more knowledgeable, I will give it a shot. Thanks again.
Old 07-02-09, 06:21 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
So, someone on My.IS asked me if I could build a custom intake manifold for him. I just said, why not. I've never done one before and it could be fun lol. Anyways, it's not the best welding I've ever done in my life but it's strong and will hold. Welding with 200A on a TIG is not exactly the easiest thing to control lol. Some pix below:

Also, here's an intake that I built for some kid's IS300 when I was bored lol. My welds here are a lot better than on the intake manifold, but I was only using about 60-70A to weld the thinner piping, so it's much easier to control. At least for me it is.

intake looks better. sorry i know u kinda practicing but them welds are ugly on the intake manifold, dont worry you'll get better. just like anything else, practice makes perfect....i remember trying to weld with 200a. its not fun. whats the thickness of the intake manifold metal?

Originally Posted by ItsChris
DAYAM JEFF ! WOW.....can you make a manifold for the 400 Guys =P
and the gs430 guys since we use the same manifold

Originally Posted by carbongs
looks great welding is one of the things i need to learn!
buy one and practice tony

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
The only thing keeping an Eaton 90 or 112 from a 4XX guy is the lack of an intake manifold to fit the VVTi head. Jeff??????????
no kiddin...help us
Old 07-02-09, 08:10 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
intake looks better. sorry i know u kinda practicing but them welds are ugly on the intake manifold, dont worry you'll get better. just like anything else, practice makes perfect....i remember trying to weld with 200a. its not fun. whats the thickness of the intake manifold metal?
Yeah, it's really hard to weld that stuff. The plenum is 1/4" thick and so are the runners. I'm much better at welding aluminum piping though lol.
Old 07-03-09, 06:26 PM
99Aristo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I absolutely commend you for this man. I weld too.....on my crx(I know, a honda....but it's 300 HP!) I built my own turbo manifold to clear the a/c(something most don't do)...had to be precise to clear everything, barely fits. Built my own traction bar, downpipe and exhaust, crazy sideways battery tray...and so on. I have yet to Tig tho...have a good friend who does all that for me. bump for a great thread.

busy engine bay.....all built by me at least.....

Last edited by 99Aristo; 07-03-09 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-04-09, 08:31 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Yeah, it's really hard to weld that stuff. The plenum is 1/4" thick and so are the runners. I'm much better at welding aluminum piping though lol.
yeah i really hate welding with it....reminds me of 6% solder. awful stuff too... although i would rather use the solder then work with this. trust me i know your pain. dont worry though, as i said it will all come with practice and OMFG how much $$$ u can save yourself knowing how to weld your own stuff. i think im gonna sell my deceased brother in laws tig/mig/arc welders and plasma cutter for my sis soon though. gotta go check and see what they are (like what brands, etc)

Originally Posted by 99Aristo
I absolutely commend you for this man. I weld too.....on my crx(I know, a honda....but it's 300 HP!) I built my own turbo manifold to clear the a/c(something most don't do)...had to be precise to clear everything, barely fits. Built my own traction bar, downpipe and exhaust, crazy sideways battery tray...and so on. I have yet to Tig tho...have a good friend who does all that for me. bump for a great thread.

busy engine bay.....all built by me at least.....
i dont even see something holding the battery in....
d16z6? d16 or d15 series....hard to see