GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

stock air box mod complete and SWEET!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 10:50 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
i guess none of you have ever heard of such thing as RamAir equiped cars with functional holes cut out in hoods and filters sitting right below, now problems The fact its not even pointed straight in the bumber, the OP has already stated that the tube points down. It is also about 6-10" away from the ground so he would have to go offroading in his car through a lake in order to suck in water. On top of all that IF there is anytype of water being sucked, is filter would prevent it from entering the engine.
Water cannot easily travel upstream, so the carwash idea is also no good, he would have to sit in his car and keep it on the revlimiter while going through a carwash that is spraying high pressure water at 45 degree angle into his bumper grill.
Gotcha

This mod is intrigueing..., The cold air is a definite consideration for doing this mod. I currently have SRT and the tube soaks in heat and stays hot. The design, despite the heat sheild provided, will still suck in engine compartment air.

A dyno with aftermarket filter plus tubing w/stock intake would be interesting to see.

Last edited by sam430; 06-22-09 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-22-09, 01:01 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

How hard was it to take out the stock airbox? Im thinking about doing this now lol
Old 06-22-09, 02:59 PM
Euro09
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusK
How hard was it to take out the stock airbox? Im thinking about doing this now lol
do u have I6 or V8 ? I took mine out for like 2 mins

Andy
Old 06-22-09, 04:40 PM
SPL FREEK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very very good idea on this mod!
Old 06-22-09, 09:15 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow your performance knowledge is priceless
Your ignorance is priceless. If everyone was making huge power gains by cutting a hole in the air box, everyone would be doing this then.
Old 06-23-09, 06:44 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pingu
Your ignorance is priceless. If everyone was making huge power gains by cutting a hole in the air box, everyone would be doing this then.
haha, ok how many people have done this? How many people are willing to Cut a hole their lexus airbox? how many people think they will hydrolock their motor by doing so ? Seriously most people with a highpriced sedan just arent willing to try to make stuff work and try different things. They go on a forum like this see what people have done and install an intake that made the most power. While joe shmo in Ncarolina might of made something out of a Firework Mortar tube that made more power he dosent have internet access or dyno acess. I can go on, my knowledge about making hp comes from trial and error(best way to know about making anything) you knowledge comes from reading a messege board
Old 06-23-09, 06:45 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sam430
Gotcha

This mod is intrigueing..., The cold air is a definite consideration for doing this mod. I currently have SRT and the tube soaks in heat and stays hot. The design, despite the heat sheild provided, will still suck in engine compartment air.

A dyno with aftermarket filter plus tubing w/stock intake would be interesting to see.
SRT and K&N are both great designs i just wish there was a way to get that filter away from the engine bay.
Old 06-24-09, 05:20 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

haha, ok how many people have done this? How many people are willing to Cut a hole their lexus airbox? how many people think they will hydrolock their motor by doing so ? Seriously most people with a highpriced sedan just arent willing to try to make stuff work and try different things. They go on a forum like this see what people have done and install an intake that made the most power. While joe shmo in Ncarolina might of made something out of a Firework Mortar tube that made more power he dosent have internet access or dyno acess. I can go on, my knowledge about making hp comes from trial and error(best way to know about making anything) you knowledge comes from reading a messege board
off the top of my head i rememeber a sad day a long time ago....i hydrolocked my old b20/vtec motor doing something like this...then i switched to that aem water bypass filter piece and never had a problem with hydrolocking a motor again
Old 06-24-09, 06:00 PM
drewefx
Pole Position

Honestlt after reading tis, i took off the piece at the end of the ram air, only one screw. I went for a drive, i felt a very big diff. I think it works well imho
Old 06-24-09, 08:23 PM
Euro09
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by drewefx
Honestlt after reading tis, i took off the piece at the end of the ram air, only one screw. I went for a drive, i felt a very big diff. I think it works well imho
what piece ?

Andy
Old 06-25-09, 05:49 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The chrome cap on the end of the cone filter??
Old 06-25-09, 06:44 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
The chrome cap on the end of the cone filter??
stock air box does not have a cone filter i think hes talkinga bout the stock ramair tube where it goes into the airbox i'm sure its a big hole when it enters the air box i think what he did was took the ramair tube off.
Now i wouldnt do that as its actually beneficial, but i would put another hole in the air box like the OP, that way you have two sources of ramair
Old 06-25-09, 11:54 AM
Euro09
Lead Lap

stock air box does not have a cone filter i think hes talkinga bout the stock ramair tube where it goes into the airbox i'm sure its a big hole when it enters the air box i think what he did was took the ramair tube off.
Now i wouldnt do that as its actually beneficial, but i would put another hole in the air box like the OP, that way you have two sources of ramair
Thats what I had now .

Andy
Old 08-07-09, 04:52 PM
PilotSmith
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a new VW Rabbit in the 80's that I hydro locked going through a rain puddle in the school parking lot. I was going a bit quick but it was not a real deep puddle. Fortunately got a new motor under warranty. But I was worried for a while I would have a problem getting it covered under warranty. So that low intake scares me. Although it seems like it would be hard to get water up that distance and past the air filter. Don't remember what the VW intake looked like.
Old 08-20-09, 11:03 AM
haulin79
Driver

Because the stock opening is retained, the only way this mod willl make your engine more prone to hydrolock is if the water level goes up to the airbox cutout itself.

Quick Reply: stock air box mod complete and SWEET!