GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Radio Display Bulb Out

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-09, 11:08 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Radio Display Bulb Out

My backlight bulb behind the radio display is out. Does anyone know what is the bulb type or part number for the bulbs? Not interested in converting to LEDs. I search the site and could not find any reference to bulb type. Going to attempt to remove the radio console this weekend but would speed up the repair if I can get the bulbs before opening up the radio console area. If I have the part number I could check if anyone locally has any and if not I could order online before having to hassle of opening up the console and radio unit. Thanks.

Chu...
Old 06-05-09, 10:08 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

search...several people have done this. contact kamlung for sure, he's done this
Old 06-05-09, 11:19 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
search...several people have done this. contact kamlung for sure, he's done this
Search??? Done that. No one seems to put down the actual part number for the bulb. This morning I took out the radio and tried to locate the bulb at the all the major local auto dealers. No one had the right size of bulb other than Mazda but they only had one at $4 and I needed two. Finally was able to find two at Nissan but they wanted $14 each (Ouch). They gave it to me at $10 each instead. The Nissan part number is 24860-AM620. The part comes with a amber rubber boot cover that can be remove and a base that also need to be removed. The Nissan bulb looks identical to the original and fits perfectly inside the green rubber boot of the ML radio. Need to wait until dark to see if the bulb is bright enough. Currently too sunny to tell. My initial impression is that it is dimmer than the original.

Chu...

Last edited by ChuH; 06-05-09 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-06-09, 01:09 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

im sorry..i think im confused. which bulb are you replacing? i opened my ML nav assy and only bulbs i saw were soldered to the board. i love it too....its 3 am here and its sunny over there in guam
Old 06-06-09, 01:33 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

It is the two soldered bulbs behind the Non-NAV ML radio display. It seems that I have the right dimension of the bulb but not the right voltage hence dim display. I guess the Nissan bulb was meant for 12V input. I found some bulbs at Topbulb.com http://www.topbulb.com/find/prod_lis...Category_E_727 that are lower voltage type (5 to 6V). I guess I will have to purchase a hand full of different voltage and amp spec to find one that will match the climate control display. Do you know what is the spec of bulb that is required?

In the meantime I will live with the dim radio display versus no display at night.

Chu...

Last edited by ChuH; 06-06-09 at 02:55 AM.
Old 06-07-09, 01:20 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChuH
It is the two soldered bulbs behind the Non-NAV ML radio display. It seems that I have the right dimension of the bulb but not the right voltage hence dim display. I guess the Nissan bulb was meant for 12V input. I found some bulbs at Topbulb.com http://www.topbulb.com/find/prod_lis...Category_E_727 that are lower voltage type (5 to 6V). I guess I will have to purchase a hand full of different voltage and amp spec to find one that will match the climate control display. Do you know what is the spec of bulb that is required?

In the meantime I will live with the dim radio display versus no display at night.

Chu...
did u unsolder them and re-solder them?
i dunno man. again try kamlung im 99% sure he did this alread. the dead bulbs were part of the reason i bought another nav unit from a member on here
Old 06-07-09, 11:23 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Yes I did desolder the old bulbs and solder in the new Nissan 12V bulbs.

After search Clublexus site I was able to find a posting for the ES300 and found that the poster was able to assertain the spec as 8V 100mA bulb from Pioneer (P/N CEL1247). Pioneer's part website http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...uctNum=CEL1247 has the part for $10.50. Because Guam is not listed there I have contact my local Pioneer shop to see if they can get the part. We will see if it is the right one. Tomorrow I am going to call Pioneer in the states to see if they will send the bulbs to me.

Chu...
Old 06-08-09, 08:25 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM OLT has he does this as well
Old 06-13-09, 04:40 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChuH
Yes I did desolder the old bulbs and solder in the new Nissan 12V bulbs.

After search Clublexus site I was able to find a posting for the ES300 and found that the poster was able to assertain the spec as 8V 100mA bulb from Pioneer (P/N CEL1247). Pioneer's part website http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...uctNum=CEL1247 has the part for $10.50. Because Guam is not listed there I have contact my local Pioneer shop to see if they can get the part. We will see if it is the right one. Tomorrow I am going to call Pioneer in the states to see if they will send the bulbs to me.

Chu...
man thats alot of work just to fix the backlights of the radio but props on the DIY job so far man
Old 06-13-09, 05:11 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
man thats alot of work just to fix the backlights of the radio but props on the DIY job so far man
Yeah. Either that or buy a new or used radio unit. Found some bulb on ebay for about $12 for eight 8V 100mA for Marantz. Should be here in a couple of days. Will see if it works out.
Old 09-19-09, 07:49 PM
99GSThree
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any updates? I have a few bulbs out on my Pioneer radio as well. I installed a new LCD display and after reinstall,i noticed the AM and FM1/2 buttons did not light up at night.
Bulbs are soldered to the board. How did your's work out?
Old 09-19-09, 08:57 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Everything came out perfect. I bought the bulbs from the following location. They are the exact bulbs size and type. The guy's name is David Wojnarowski dwojo69@msn.com. It was whole alot cheaper. $1.50 each versus the Pioneer's bulb $10.50 each excluding shipping. He has very limited stock though. When I ordered he had 10 left and I bought 5. Actually I didn't paid anything because I bought 8 Marantz 4.5mm 8V/100mA bulbs from eBay that didn't fit the color boot and the circuit board holes because it was too wide. We end up doing a trade instead.

http://home.earthlink.net/~dwojo/index.html

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...a_250ma_01.jpg

8V/100mA/4.12mm $1.50 each (I bought 5)
Shipping & Handling: $4.00

Chu...
Old 09-19-09, 09:14 PM
99GSThree
Driver

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-17-11, 06:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just an update to this thread.

The bulbs from Pioneer are ridiculously expensive, together with the shipping it comes out to $40! This is an outrageous price to pay for these bulbs.

The phillips bulbs are 4mm diameter, 8volt, .8 watt (100mA). I found a company that sells 3mm diameter, 8volt, .5 watt (60mA) bulbs. They are smaller in diameter and length, but they fit inside the "green sleeve" perfectly. I soldered both of them in today, and it came out perfect. They are supposed to be a little bit dimmer than the original bulbs, but I honestly cant see any difference, they provide sufficient backlight. They are only 30 cents per piece, but with shipping it still came out to be almost 10 bucks - but still much better than 40 bucks from Pioneer.

This is the link to these bulbs.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...4LH-T1-/25-995
Old 01-17-11, 10:49 PM
SidhuGs300
Pole Position

hmm...i thought they were leds back there on the board...

Quick Reply: Radio Display Bulb Out