GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Serpentine Belt, Idler Pulley and Tensioner replaced

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-09, 06:32 AM
landarc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine Belt, Idler Pulley and Tensioner replaced

Hi CL members,

I am going to be ordering a serpentine belt. I would like to get some feedback on if it is a good idea to replace the Serpentine idler pulley and the Serpentine tensioner as well or just leave it? Not sure when it was last changed or at all. I have 117,000 km on my vehicle right now. I have changed the timing belt already at the 90,000 km. Thanks to all who replay.
Old 02-10-09, 10:31 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

if u dont know it cant hurt to go ahead and replace them as well they are fairly cheap and you'll have the piece of mind that they have been replaced! thats what i would do while i was already in there. saves u labor if u dont do them and they do muck up later. have to pay the labor 2x
Old 02-10-09, 04:38 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
if u dont know it cant hurt to go ahead and replace them as well they are fairly cheap and you'll have the piece of mind that they have been replaced! thats what i would do while i was already in there. saves u labor if u dont do them and they do muck up later. have to pay the labor 2x
Not sure where you got the idea that these extra parts are "fairly cheap".

A quick add-up seems to show it would be like 4x the cost of just the serpentine belt, or more if you have a gs 300.
Also, you aren't doing the labor 2x. The belt is such a quick job DIY that is not very significant labor in this case. Some shops might even do it for "free" if you buy the belt from them (ofc at retail price) and while you got other service done (ofc also at retail price). If you have to replace the parts then it'll definitely be an add-on in labor time.

Last edited by raytseng; 02-10-09 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-10-09, 04:55 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not a bad idea to go ahead and change everything, but the serpentine belt is the most important if it hasn't been changed yet. And these aren't very hard to change yourself. I am pretty sure that there are DIYs for this.
Old 02-10-09, 05:00 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

You should have it physically checked once the belt is off. For my case, my idler pulley was good but my tensioner started to make some noise. I replaced it and now all is fine. Pulleys dont last forever so you do have to check them all.
Old 02-11-09, 09:46 AM
YOO
Driver

i have recently replaced my tensioner due to it becoming weak after years of use. The techs at my local lexus dealer suggest that the tensioners do go bad quit often in lexus automobiles. my gs4 has 160k miles when it was replaced...

hope this helps...
Old 02-11-09, 11:05 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by raytseng
Not sure where you got the idea that these extra parts are "fairly cheap".

A quick add-up seems to show it would be like 4x the cost of just the serpentine belt, or more if you have a gs 300.
Also, you aren't doing the labor 2x. The belt is such a quick job DIY that is not very significant labor in this case. Some shops might even do it for "free" if you buy the belt from them (ofc at retail price) and while you got other service done (ofc also at retail price). If you have to replace the parts then it'll definitely be an add-on in labor time.
never said extra parts were cheap.....im just saying its cheaper to do it now then 2 months down the road it breaks n u pay same labor to change them as u woulda when u did the belt.....and i dunno who does your work but i bought the parts myself and had timing belt,idler pulley,tensioner,water pump,acc belt,diff fluid changed, cooling system changed,new lower radiator hose,themostat,etc,etc done for like 450 from my mechanic
Old 02-11-09, 05:18 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

FYI: the idler pulley and tensioner done during your timing belt is different then the sepentine belt idler and serpentine tensioner that the OP asked about.

For the Timing belt, I would agree with you, since there's a lot of work to just get to the belt.

But for serpentine belt, it's the opposite. No work needed to get to the belt, so just change those extra parts if they need to be changed.

A $40 job that turns into a $200 job is different then a $1000 job turning into a $1160 job.
(For the sake of example, I just used $160 as the upcharge)
Old 02-12-09, 09:51 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by raytseng
FYI: the idler pulley and tensioner done during your timing belt is different then the sepentine belt idler and serpentine tensioner that the OP asked about.

For the Timing belt, I would agree with you, since there's a lot of work to just get to the belt.

But for serpentine belt, it's the opposite. No work needed to get to the belt, so just change those extra parts if they need to be changed.

A $40 job that turns into a $200 job is different then a $1000 job turning into a $1160 job.
(For the sake of example, I just used $160 as the upcharge)
either way i prefer to do things ONCE than having to come back and readdress them
Old 02-12-09, 11:48 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bearings went in mine at 140k in the idler pulley, and also did the tensioner since I was in there. When they go out, you'll know...the bearings scream or there will be resistance causing belt slippage/squeeking.
Old 03-26-12, 08:31 PM
otcviper
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be knocking out both the idler and the tensioner on my '99 GS400 this weekend (160k miles). Other than the fact that the tensioner is reverse threaded, are there any other specifications one needs to consider when replacing these?
Old 03-27-12, 06:24 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nice write up! hopefully i can do all this when i have time
Old 08-13-12, 01:02 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

does anyone have the proper part number for the serpentine/drive belt tensioner?

when i look online i found 16620-0W101~about $58 on Sewell... i think the assembly also includes the pulley...

however when i called the parts department, they gave me part #: 16620-0W026 which supposedly supercedes the old part number. but this one is $250.45...

what gives???
Old 08-14-12, 02:11 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe this will help....

Darrel
Old 08-14-12, 02:22 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the clarification Darrel!!