GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Got my GS400! Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-02, 07:02 AM
nherc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Got my GS400! Questions.

I just got my CPO '99 GS 400 (16k miles!, black with ivory interior, Nakamichi, $33k) from Lexus of Manhattan and it's p-e-r-f-e-c-t! Spotless! It looks new.

I'm a very, very satisfied customer. If anyone's looking for a good deal in the Tri-State area give Eddie a call @ Lexus of Manhattan, he was very helpful. Tell him Nick H. recommended you.

Two Questions:

1. I'm low on funds after my purchase, but I want to upgrade the stock air filter until I can afford a WeaponR/ECU upgrade. Is the stock sized K&N filter equivalent to the more expensive TOM's? Any recommendations?

2. I pulled the front plate off (it looks terrible), but now I have 4 holes in my bumper. Does anyone know the stock number of the little plugs that I can stick in the holes?

Many Thanks!

Now hopefully, Honda won't screw me over when I turn in my '99 (pre)Lude lease next week. Anyone have experience turning in a lease with a scratched up bumper (I tapped another cars rear-end and touched it up, but it's kind of obvious)?

Last edited by nherc; 02-19-02 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-19-02, 08:03 AM
portcityplaya
Driver

Default Honda turn in

Take it in for a pre turn in inspection. That way you can see what they will charge you and you may be able to get the work done cheaper before you actually turn it in.
Old 02-19-02, 08:33 AM
nherc
Driver School Candidate

Getting that done today... I'm afraid the guy is going to make me get the bumper completely repainted.
Old 02-19-02, 10:12 AM
nherc
Driver School Candidate

Default Whoop!

My lucky day! The appraiser just looked at my Lude and stated there was NO excessive wear and tear! $0

I guess my emergency paint touch up (though noticable) was not as bad as I had thought! Time to say goodbye to my little Lude and start driving my new black GS400 beauty "Christine" (as the last three numbers in it's VIN are 666--LOL).
Old 02-19-02, 10:54 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Got my GS400! Questions.

Originally posted by nherc

1. I'm low on funds after my purchase, but I want to upgrade the stock air filter until I can afford a WeaponR/ECU upgrade. Is the stock sized K&N filter equivalent to the more expensive TOM's? Any recommendations?
First off, congrats on your new purchase, it's a great car and you will love it. As for the replacement filter, if you are planning on installing an aftermarket intake (Weapon R or SRT), I wouldn't even bother with a filter upgrade, you would just be spending money you didn't need to. Besides, since it's CPO, I'd bet the filter in it is either brand new or very clean. Just save up and get what you really want.
Old 02-19-02, 12:48 PM
nherc
Driver School Candidate

Default Front Plate Holes

Anyone have a stock/part number or URL where I can find some plugs for the holes my front license plate has left on my nice black bumper once I removed it?

I don't want to fill them permenantly as I may have to put the plate back on if the cops start hassling me.

Oh, and good call mumbles.
Old 02-19-02, 07:02 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Congrats!

Nick,

congrats on the new ride. Lexus of Manhattan is my dealer also. I know them all really well there. Check with Tommy the parts manager...he can get you the plugs if there is such a thing. Don't get too attached though the cops in this town don't let stuff like that go by. Your other semi-temporary option might be to get some latex caulk (paintable) drop some in, try and smooth it as close to the bumper contour as possible, and then hit it with some touch up paint. If you ever have to remove it, use a skinny dry wall screw, turn it halfway in and yank--it should pop right out. Anyway good luck and welcome to the Club.
Old 02-20-02, 05:08 AM
nherc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Johnny... I'll E-mail L of M and see what they say. I took my front plate off of my '99 Prelude, I never got bothered. I live in Connecticut BTW.