GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

my car dies while driving! scary, need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-08, 07:51 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default my car dies while driving! scary, need help

so i was driving in my block, 25 mile zone. when i stopped at a stop sign, my door suddenly unlocks and all my cel, and bunch of other lights in my dash came on. then i realized my car is shut off. i can't move at all. so i pushed my shifter to park and started the car. it was fine then. what just happened? now i am scared of driving it now, what if it happens on the freeway? did this happen to anyone before? what was the problem? thax in advance for your advice
Old 10-08-08, 08:00 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

jeez, i've never heard of anything like that before. sounds like an electrical/charging system issue.

check your battery terminals to make sure they're tight, make sure the connection to your ground on the other end of the negative battery cable is good, make sure your alternator is ok.

about the only reasonable scenario i can think of is a cable was loose, and when you hit the brakes to come to a stop it moved and cut your power supply. the reason i think this is that if your check engine and all those other lights came on, the car was in accessory mode. remember that once you turn your key to start the car, it sits in the acc mode (position 3 if 1 is off, 2 is radio/lights only, 3 is acc and 4 is start) until you turn it off. With the power interrupted, the engine shut down, and then the cable probably found a good connection again once the car jarred to a stop, leaving accessory power on, thus you had to put the car in park (neutral would have worked too) and then restart it.

check your battery cables, an ECU reset can't hurt, and check all of your electrical connections between battery, alternator, and engine.

good luck and cheers
Old 10-08-08, 08:10 PM
dxb_8788
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if that happen to u once thats normal but check ur battery connection
Old 10-08-08, 08:12 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dxb_8788
if that happen to u once thats normal but check ur battery connection
how do you rationalize that this is normal? cars don't just die randomly while driving.

OP, please disregard this guy's post.
Old 10-08-08, 08:18 PM
swat1727
Instructor

thanks jcat. i checked my battery, seems to be very tight, it's dark outside rite now, so i will check other cable 2m to see if anything is loose. i hope it doesnt die on the freeway, that will be bad. =/
Old 10-08-08, 08:27 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check all your belts?
Old 10-08-08, 10:53 PM
sleeperGS
Rookie

well, I've actually heard about something like this before but it happened every time the car slowed down or stopped. It was because of the mass airflow sensor. I think if it just happened once you shouldn't worry too much. Also, you should clean your throttle body.
Old 10-08-08, 11:07 PM
scuba21
Driver School Candidate

it happend to me one time in the freeway and it stop right in the middle of the road .. relly relly rellly rellly scary i open my hood < thinks its was a belt but it was one of the battery terminal came off on me pretty scary doe ...

=(
Old 10-08-08, 11:50 PM
burma
Pole Position

something similar happened to me also, i was on a freeway and when i had to brake hard to a stop the vsc and engine lights all came on and there was no throttle input, the engine was still on but you would have to floor the pedal to move it at all. luckly there was a traffic jam so i just rolled on like everything was normal lol
when i restarted it everything was fine.
Later at the dealership i got an error with the VVT and found that the VVTi oil hose was blocked, nothing major. Get it checked at a dealer.
Old 10-09-08, 12:17 AM
swat1727
Instructor

cool thx for the input! i will check it out 2m and report back if i find something
Old 10-09-08, 01:07 PM
Baliztik
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That happened to me in my Benz, it was due to too much being on the key, if you have a lot of keychains/weight on your keyring take them off.
Old 10-09-08, 02:19 PM
GS3.0
Lexus Test Driver

do you have an aftermarket intake? it happened to me once after i installed a custom intake. one of the vacuum hoses came off which resulted in the car dying while driving.
Old 10-09-08, 06:56 PM
ICECOLD
Driver

It happen to me. It was my battery though. I would jump it and it would cut back when I would turn my lights on. Then it just finally died. I couldn't even unlock the door with the key control. I got another battery and it has been running like a champ ever since.
Old 06-24-17, 04:53 AM
Mike561
Driver School Candidate

Default 1998 gs300 stall

Ok guys iv changed my maf done the oil and chleaned the throttle body (was filthy) but i still have this stalling issue its weird ok. So i could be driveing hot or cold start and it happens either the entire time im driveing or just once then fine the rest of the day. So heres what gets me when the car(stalls) i dont need to restart ill play with the pedal if im moving and it will kick right back on. Im thinking its the fuel pump. _(cruzeing along and it will die and then restart its self either immeditly or within a couple seconds dosnt really die completly although it has died and i did the nuetral turn over and it will run like nothing happen. No codes come from this. When it dose die completly it goes into acc but when it wants to die at like 20% pedal it just drops rpms to 0 then i play with the pedal and she comes back to life it has been happening alot more lately and its starting to get pretty freakin annoyeing please someone give me your thoughts on this
Old 06-24-17, 07:45 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It could also be a bad CAM or Crank sensor. They can definitely make your car stall, turn off instantly while driving. Look into that as well.

Quick Reply: my car dies while driving! scary, need help