GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car wont start guys....

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-08, 03:01 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy Car wont start guys....

okay guys i need your help.

my car will turn on but shortly after (about a second) it turns off. The car will stay on if i press on the gas a some. I cleaned the MAF and i even used a new MAF but the problem persist. The check engine light did come on and i checked it and it said it was the MAF. But it still the exactly the same. I erased the code and tried it but no luck. I have a SRT intake w/ECU. Could it be that maybe the srt ecu shorted out or something? i know it most likely aint a gas problem because it smells rich. What could it be guys?

thanks in advance
Old 09-28-08, 03:09 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

heres a short clip i took

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0rBb7rt16g
Old 09-28-08, 03:55 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

make sure you didnt install the MAF upside down. the MAF is a pretty sensitive piece of equipment. take a picture of your car with the MAF and post it up....
Old 09-28-08, 03:57 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

personally to me it sounds most like either injectors/fuel filter or charging system. You say it smells rich and this leads you to believe it isnt a fuel problem, but the only cause of the car running when on the gas and shutting off at idle is a clogged/bad injector (stepping on the gas obviously forcing more fuel through), fuel filter sucking up crap but again forcing fuel through (let your tank run really low recently?), or the alternator's output could be off when not at high RPM.

about the only other thing i can think of is the IAC (idle air control) valve malfunctioning, throwing the car out of whack at idle.

If you have the SRT installed properly, I don't see how that could be affecting it, as the connections are all housed in fairly weather-tight places, but if you did any chopping of the boxes/covers to run the wires it could allow water or something to get in there and short something out, other than that i can't see how it would be causing this stuff.
Old 09-28-08, 04:21 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

I'm 100% sure the MAF sensor is on the right way.

the srt intake/ecu was installed by jeffstai and he did a professional job. it has been on the car for the past 6 months or so. Also my dad is a mechanic and even he is stumped on this one.
Old 09-28-08, 05:14 PM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's not the MAF and it's not the intake/ecu...... Time to rip that bad boy open and check out your fuel injectors. It's not like you're going anywhere anyways, right?
Old 09-28-08, 07:19 PM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some Ideas

One check could be have someone stand at exhaust pipe and see if you have good flow making sure you don't have a restricted exhaust.

To see if you are truly running rich, pull a spark plug and see if the electrode is wet or black and sooty.

There is a possiblity that you have a big vacuum leak. Check all hoses. Also, take off air duct to throttle body. Have someone spray carb cleaner into throttle body while you start. If it keeps it running, start spraying around the intake manifold to see if you can find a source of vacuum leakage.

Usually if there is an error due to an electronic device, a code will be set. Also, eventually a code will be set for 02 sensor either rich or lean.
Old 09-29-08, 05:20 AM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PachecoGS4
I'm 100% sure the MAF sensor is on the right way.

the srt intake/ecu was installed by jeffstai and he did a professional job. it has been on the car for the past 6 months or so. Also my dad is a mechanic and even he is stumped on this one.

if jeff installed it, im 100% sure it isnt ur MAF either....
Old 09-29-08, 05:33 AM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

omg the scariest thing happen today...I was driving on the highway and all of a sudden the ENTIRE car just shuts off. I popped the hood and discovered the battery cable was loose...check that just in case
Old 09-29-08, 08:29 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

This is a little off from everyone else's suggestions but do you have a aftermarket alarm installed? Did the previous owner have one in there? If so it may be acting up and preventing the car from starting.

My Durango's factory alarm, if not properly disarmed, will allow the truck to start and then shuts it off immediately. Just a thought. Good Luck.
Old 09-29-08, 01:42 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by garbage85
omg the scariest thing happen today...I was driving on the highway and all of a sudden the ENTIRE car just shuts off. I popped the hood and discovered the battery cable was loose...check that just in case
lol. thanks man but its not that.

Originally Posted by Debonair
This is a little off from everyone else's suggestions but do you have a aftermarket alarm installed? Did the previous owner have one in there? If so it may be acting up and preventing the car from starting.

My Durango's factory alarm, if not properly disarmed, will allow the truck to start and then shuts it off immediately. Just a thought. Good Luck.
thanks man. but i dont have nor has there ever been an alarm installed in my car before. thanks for the suggestion tho.

i took the car to the dealer this morning but they cant seem to figure out whats wrong either.
Old 09-29-08, 03:07 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Did the dealer still charge you even they couldn't find out whats wrong? lol
Also, did you do what I tell you to do yesterday? If you really need me to go out there, I'll see when I have time. These electrical bugs are a pain to diagnose unless you know the system. I'm surprised the dealer couldn't figure it out.
Old 09-30-08, 08:51 AM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Did the dealer still charge you even they couldn't find out whats wrong? lol
Also, did you do what I tell you to do yesterday? If you really need me to go out there, I'll see when I have time. These electrical bugs are a pain to diagnose unless you know the system. I'm surprised the dealer couldn't figure it out.
yeah they charged me $45. I removed the SRT ecu and replaced the OEM intake like you said. And its running like normal again!

but i miss the sound of the srt...

im ordering the SAFC today.

thanks jeff.