GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

99 GS4 -- loud suspension squeak (WITH VIDEO and SOUND)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-08, 05:27 PM
Navaz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its got to be the sway bar bushings.
Old 03-14-08, 06:23 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckb
I don't know what's causing that noise, but I'm laughing my *** off for some reason....

sounds like my mattress when....oh never mind.
exactly what i was thinking.

could be the springs or bushings. try some wd-40 on the bushings.
Old 03-18-08, 07:36 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey guys. I took the car in this morning to an independent suspension shop by my house. They had it up on the lift for about 1/2 hour. They wore headsets with microphones to pinpoint the exact location of the noise.

Anyway, without taking anything apart, they couldn't determine the exact source. They have eliminated a few possible culprits, though. It's not the sway bar bushing, shock or spring. They believe it's coming from the ball joint or bushings in the upper control arm, or possibly the knuckle. They won't know for sure until they take the corner apart (which they'll do on my next visit).

Let me know what you guys think.

e
Old 03-18-08, 10:28 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Then it must be the ball joints and the bushings! Get your grease suit on, because I feel a DIY is in order LOL
Old 03-18-08, 05:04 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like you're on the right track e. maybe you should order the part from sewell or carson and have the suspension shop put it on.
Old 03-19-08, 07:33 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

That is a pretty loud squeak.

So it is coming from the rear of the vehicle? Just the left or right, or both?

It sounds to me that there is a binding bushing somewhere in the suspension. I would like to say that it is not a shock, but its not impossible. If the shock is making that type of noise, you would be able to look at the bottom of the shock and visually see fluid leaking out of it. From what I have seen on Lexus vehicles, ball joints usually dont make that noise, and the only ball joint in the rear is where the upper control arm mounts to the spindle. Whatever you do, use factory parts when trying to eliminate a noise. Aftermarket stuff tends to not stay quiet for so long. IE: autozone shocks. It can also mislead your diagnosis if the aftermarket stuff is noisey when installed.

I would have to be there to see it, but I would guess a shop with a good set of chassis ears should be able to narrow it down and see what it is. Sometimes with a squeak that loud, you can put your hand on the component believed to be noisey, and feel the noise resonating through it.

How does it sound inside the vehicle? Does it resonate through the interior, or does it sound as if it is coming from outside?

Last edited by onepointon; 03-19-08 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-19-08, 08:22 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-19-08, 04:03 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Hey Onepointon. Thanks for chiming in.

The shop I went to specializes in suspension. They had the car up on the lift and one of the techs had on headsets connected to a microphone to listen to the noise and pinpoint where it was coming from. He concluded that it definitely wasn't the shock or the spring. He also loosened the sway bar, and was able to confirm that it wasn't the sway bar bushing. They've narrowed it down to the control arm or the knuckle (although now I realize that there are two control arms, an upper and a lower, and I'm not sure which one they're talking about). They mentioned it could be coming from the ball joint, so they must have been talking about the upper control arm.

Anyway, they won't know for sure until they take the corner apart, and I want them to have the replacement parts they need to do the job. I plan on ordering a bunch of things from Sewell, and I'll just send back what they don't use.

I'm thinking I should order an upper and lower control arm, knuckle (whatever that is), and the shop also mentioned something about a wheel bearing. I know this is like throwing darts at a dartboard in a dark room, but it is what it is.

Oh, and I cannot hear the noise from inside the car. It is definitely coming from the right rear wheel and I only hear it with the right rear window open.

Thanks again for your help.

e
Old 03-21-08, 12:00 AM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

HAHAH
nice video.
i say you just leave it like that and brag about how much sex your lex gets you.
not that you have to brag. lol.
Old 03-26-08, 06:12 PM
e-man
Pole Position

UPDATE

I brought the car in yesterday to the suspension shop and left it there for a few hours. They took apart the rear corner, piece by piece, until the noise finally stopped. As it turns out, the noise was being caused by a worn bushing inside the "knuckle" (which apparently is also known as the carriage assembly). They applied grease to the bushing, slapped everything back together, and the noise is now gone. They did tell me, though, that it will likely come back in a few months and I'll need to replace the part (which costs around $230 or so, so that's not too bad).

e