GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Check Engine Light, Car Limps, VSC Lights on...Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 04:53 AM
P Rock
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Check Engine Light, Car Limps, VSC Lights on...Please Help.

I got into my car after work yesterday and as soon as I fired it up, something didn't feel right. The car idles rough (felt like it was misfiring) and a few seconds later, the check engine light started flashing. I carefully drove it out of the parking garage and upon accelleration, it was misfiring very noticeably. Getting on the freeway was a task as it felt like it had no power. After about 5 minutes of driving, the check engine light went away and the car drove fine and I made it home with no drama.

Later that night, I fired it up again and the check engine light was on and so were the VSC and VSC OFF lights but the car ran fine

Same story this morning....

I will take it to Autozone later to have the codes pulled but in the meantine, I can't get the problem out of my head so I was looking for some insight. After searching, I've found people with "similar" problems but not exactly like mine. Any inputs appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Details on the car:
2002 GS300 Sport Design, 77k miles, trouble free until now, bone stock, clean history (no accidents etc..)

EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED...
I just wanted to let everyone know and for search purposes that I've solved the problem earlier this year and have never had a problem again.

This thread is probably leading to me not being able to sell my car on this forum either LOL. (...since I never provided closure to my problem until now)

Anyhow... the problem was the #6 sparkplug. Coils tested out fine so I decided to replace the plug. Instead of replacing just the #6, I decided to replace them all since they're cheapest and you'd have to replace them eventually anyways.

Car has been running perfect ever since so for everyone with the same symptoms, check the plugs first since they're cheapest option.

Hope this helps

Last edited by P Rock; 10-09-08 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-28-07, 05:32 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i bet it's an ignition problem. a bad coil. let me know what the code is.
nice car collection btw.
Old 12-28-07, 03:46 PM
P Rock
Driver

WTF?? I took the car to Auto Zone and they pulled no codes???!!! They said I'd have to take it to the dealer. I don't feel like getting bent over by the dealership....
Old 12-28-07, 04:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The problem with those autozone crappy scanner is that they'll only read current codes. Those Toyota/Lexus scanner will read all kinds of codes...current, past, and pending. Plus it'll scan all cylinder and tell you how much each one is misfiring. But like you said, dealership will bend you over and you'll never walk the same again. $90-110 is outrageous for just scanning codes.
The following users liked this post:
samsonn25 (04-17-19)
Old 12-28-07, 07:42 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had similar issues after driving to the race track and it turned out it was a coil pack. good luck!
Old 12-29-07, 04:35 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

There are a number of issues that could cause this. In my case it was a very loose clamp on the SRT intake hose at the throttle body. I tightened it down reset the ECU and no more lights or poor running.
Old 12-30-07, 04:09 PM
Ms lexo
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem. I failed my smog test due to the MIL but no codes came up from the Auto zone scanner. I changed my MAF and after I replaced it the lights stayed on.
Old 12-30-07, 08:36 PM
P Rock
Driver

The car ran fine today...even at startup but the check engine light, VSC and VSC OFF lights were still on.

I tried disconnecting the battery for 2 hours and lights still came on. Opened up the hood to see if there was anything loose and I found nothing. Looks like I may have to pay the $100+++ just to get the car diagnosed

Anyone else???
Old 12-30-07, 08:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Could be the throttle position sensor that caused your car to go into limp mode. The TPS for our cars seems to go out once awhile.

But since it's running fine, you can try to reset the code:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=17

It wont hurt to try it.
Old 12-30-07, 10:24 PM
Ms lexo
Driver School Candidate

Let me know the results I have the exact issue. I really don't feel like being bent over by the dealer either... I did the disconnecting of the battery and they erasing of the codes and all three still come on.
Old 12-31-07, 05:22 AM
P Rock
Driver

On my way to work today, the car was perfect....no lights whatsoever. This is really confusing me.

Thanks GSteg, I will give that a try tonight after work.
Old 12-31-07, 08:10 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i got the same CEL + VSC OFF + VSC are on...but i think its because i got SRT intake installed, somehow the dealer said "too lean" ??
Old 01-01-08, 10:58 PM
joel5150
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue with performance. I took it to Pep Boys and found that one of my O2 sensors had gone bad. Replaced it and have had no issues since.
Old 01-02-08, 05:54 AM
P Rock
Driver

This is strange....it's been a few days now and the car is fine without me touching anything. No check engine lights, no VSC lights, no limping or missing.

I have a feeling it'll be back though :/
Old 01-19-08, 04:33 AM
ram3ez
Pole Position

any progress on this ? my gf's car doing the same thing but it was sitting for a while. VSC on and off lights are on.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light, Car Limps, VSC Lights on...Please Help.