GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

custom cold air box for your SRT set up.....will you be interested?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-02, 05:23 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom cold air box for your SRT set up.....will you be interested?

For all those with SRT intake setup:
Will you guys be interested in a custom cold air box designed specifically for the GS400/430? Sorry, I don't have the GS300 spec....at this point, unless you are willing to providing me one.

This cold air box will hopefully provide some noise reduction and some heat shielding as well.

I will try to design a sheet metal box that will adapt the SRT filter. I probably will anodize the aluminum sheet metal to black unless there is other color that you guys would prefer (red)?. If I can get enough interest, I will start this little project. I don't know the cost at this point because it all depends on the quantity that we want to build. My time is free on this project. The only cost will be on the material and the fabrication. When I am done with the computer 3-D modeling, I will let you guys know.

I don't represent any company nor try to take away any other people's business. Since I have the SRT intake and no one else makes the box for my setup, I might as well as design one as a hobbie.

Let me know......

Last edited by Kajukenbo; 01-22-02 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-22-02, 05:41 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would definitely be interested. just put the intake on and right now its a bit loud from what im used to. love to power though. but if i could isolate the filter somewhat, and maybe even deadened it with dynomat or something that would be great. keep in touch.

Doc
Old 01-22-02, 05:59 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Add me

Like Doc, I’d be interested, and for the same reasons. I’m looking more for sound reduction than heat isolation – and black would be my preference. If you create a viable product, I’ll definitely buy.

BTW, I bought a heat shield for my old SC400 from another CL member who fabricated them - for reference, he charged $68 plus shipping.

Last edited by garnet92; 01-22-02 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-22-02, 06:07 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,307 Posts

I would definitely be interested and have suggested something similar / started to investigate a while back.

Here's the post I put out on the SRT section of the forum -->https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=20237

It looks like the link in one of the replies is no longer valid, but there is a guy in the SC forum that did a VERY nice job creating a box for the SC400 version. Powdercoated / color matched with a clear top if I recall. Probably the same guy who Garnet92 mentions.
Old 01-22-02, 08:25 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

You can count me in as being interested in the custom cold air box. Look forward to seeing the product!
Old 01-23-02, 05:35 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Me 5, uh, yeah, 5!
Old 01-23-02, 05:37 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Me 5, uh, yeah, 5!

My vote would be for black, powdercoated maybe, with a grainy finish so it doesn't look like plastic. Just a thought.
Old 01-23-02, 06:44 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

I would be interested.... Please keep us up to speed as this progresses...Tiny
Old 01-23-02, 02:01 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

How about a carbon-fiber finish. I saw on overboost.com that Mugan is making a carbon-fiber one for the RSX.
Old 01-23-02, 04:45 PM
RacingAristo

I'd be very very interested if you would consider making an air box for either Injen or Weapon-R 'cause it's time to say "bye bye bye" to my SRT setup.
Old 01-23-02, 06:10 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Hey guys,

I think there is a enough interest for me to start this project. I will work with my sheet metal vendor to look over the current SRT design. I will try to come up with the easiest and cleanest design so that we can take the cost factor out of it. As far as finish goes, we should wait until you guys see the prototype.

Aluminum sheet metal is the way that I am going to approach it. If you guys want to have a clear polycarbonate window to see your air filter, we can modify the design after the initial design is done. I will do some testing first (especially noise) before I release the design for production. As far as heat shieding goes, I don't really know how much this box is going to improve, unless I put some heat shielding pads on the out side of the box to keep the heat out.

I am hoping it will take no more than a few weeks before the prototype can be build. We can then also decide if we want a door lid secured by a couple of hinges or just a straight screw-on type lid.

I will also try to generate a pdf file from my 3-d solid model program for you guys to see the product.

We will keep in touch............
Old 01-24-02, 12:19 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

well, this keep us in the loop!
Old 01-24-02, 12:53 PM
cong28
Lead Lap

For those with GS300, I'm having my guy who's building me my body kit make a carbon fiber air box. I'll let you know when it's finished. This is for the SRT Intake.
Old 01-24-02, 01:10 PM
enginyr
Banned

What modeling software are you going to use?
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-02, 01:15 PM
enginyr
Banned

Supercharger designed in Solidworks for those of you interested in Mechanical modeling.....SolidWorks Rocks!
Attached Thumbnails custom cold air box for your SRT set up.....will you be interested?-sprchrgr.gif  

Quick Reply: custom cold air box for your SRT set up.....will you be interested?