GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2002 GS with Nav buyers/owners beware!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-02, 08:13 AM
hleo1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 GS with Nav buyers/owners beware!

I recently (last week) bought the '02 Lexus RX300 for my wife, and we really love the car. It has the Navigation package and all options. One of the main reasons why we selected the Lexus instead of BMW or Benz is their Nav system technology. Supposedly, Lexus Nav for 2002 is DVD-based and able to cover some major cities in Canada, including Toronto, Quebec, Vancouver, Whistler, and Ottawa (as claimed by Lexus).

We live in Bellevue, WA, and the first weekend after I bought the car, we drove it up to Vancouver, BC, to try out the Nav function too. It didn't work at all -- just blank screen! I played around all the Nav functions, turned out my car's Nav has NO Canada coverage at all. The software/DVD is version: 2000 ver.1. That's kind of old for a 2002 brand new car, at least my opinion.

So I talked to Sales manager and Parts manager at Lexus of Bellevue (my dealership), and they confirmed back with me that ONLY '02 LS430 and '02 ES300 has those Canadian coverage at this time. In their car brochures, press releases, news conferences, news releases and just about any car magazines, for 2002, Lexus cars supposed to have those functions. They don't even know when is the release date of the update. I called Lexus Customer Satisfaction Headquaters in Torrance, CA to address my concern, and the rep simply called back and said the update will be available mid 2002.

I totally felt deceived, and all consumers are being mis-informed and lied to. Lexus should not have advertised that all their 2002 cars with Nav can cover Canada. They should be more specific and say at present time, which models are equipped.

Sorry for the lengthy msg, what do you all think? What can we do? This is my third Lexus car I've owned, I love Lexus, very comfortable and great quality for luxury cars.

Any advice or comments will be appreciated, I know people may think I'm too overboard with this, I just felt really disgusted, deceived, and expect Lexus to deliver what they claimed to the public.

thank you very much!
Hendry

Toyota / Lexus News Pressroom info for 2002 Navi

Lexus claimed 2002 Nav coverage

2002 RX300 with Nav
Old 01-15-02, 08:44 AM
lex430
Lead Lap

can you just take the disc from the ES or LS and put it into your NAV?
Old 01-15-02, 09:12 AM
LarryF
Rookie

There is a very lengthy post about the upcoming NAV update elsewhere on this board. The LS/ES disks do not work in other models, even though the NAV is DVD-based in all of the 2001-2002 models. Apparently when the updated disk is available for the non-LS/ES cars, there will have to be an expensive upgrade to the system in order to use the new disk. Sorry the news isn't better, but I'm in the same boat as you. My 2001 NAV uses the same disk that you have and it'll apparently cost big bucks to upgrade when, and if, it ever becomes available.
Old 01-15-02, 09:16 AM
LarryF
Rookie

Here's a link to the thread!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=19044
Old 01-15-02, 09:30 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Hendry,

I checked the press release just to be sure and it indeed says the system covers the US and Canada. You've been mislead and you can either choose to wait it out or make some waves. Me, I'd be pissed and I'd be making waves.

I'd start by asking for the name of the Lexus regional rep and speak to him. But before I did I'd have in mind what kind of consideration I wanted from him...free check ups, free maintenance for 2 years...whatever. If he resists giving you something that satisfies you I'd start making noises about contacting the state Attorney General (or automobile arbitration group, if your state has one) about Lexus' misrepresentation.

If that didn't work I'd start writing letters to Lexus Corp. in CA with copies to the Attorney General and I'd find out who in the Federal Dept of Transportation I wanted to copy as well.

I'd keep the pressure on. Lexus needs to live up to its marketing hype and make nice to you. Simply telling you that the update will be available later in the year is not enough.
Old 01-15-02, 07:23 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

Default You're right! Thanks, Marty!

I've sent them a mail with long complaint letter and printouts of the press releases they made. I sent them to the owner of my dealership, its general manager, and the Mr. Denny Clements, Vice manager of Lexus NA.

I'll try to find more names within the corporate, and see what kinds of resolutions I can get....

Thanks anyways,
Hendry
Old 01-16-02, 04:40 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

The Lexus Navigation only works in the STATES that's to my knowledge, Canada wouldn't be included I think.

I know that for GS, every 02 Navigation gets reformatted and the version is brand new. The whole layout is different than that of 01's, so this shouldn't be a problem with GS series.

I feel bad for your encounter, but for most of us, who'd drive our luvly car to 1k miles away Canada back n forth??
Old 01-16-02, 09:40 PM
rickm430
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys:

I'm new to this forum, like about 3 minutes past registration.

Your problem is strange, I bought an '02 GS430 last fall without the Nav system. But I looked over the Nav system, and the cars in Vancouver worked just fine with local city maps. Why don't you call up the Vancouver Lexus dealers and see if they know the trick for making this work.....the Canadian and US models are identical typically, except for the Km vs Miles and French warning labels. Somebody has a combined US/Can DVD that works.

RickM430