GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

how easy is it to steal a gs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-07, 06:45 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by eskaeone
get a wheel lock from united rentals it locks around your tire (front) to prevent the car being towed or yanked onto a flat bed..
If they really really wanted your car there is still a way around that. Ever heard of a 4 wheel dolly? They jack up the whole car off the ground and basically put trays with wheels under them. After that, it's just a matter of hooking the winch up to the car and reeling it in. I have seen this happen in other countries where the drivers try to park illegally(then put on the wheel lock) and prevent from being towed...the towtrucks got around that pretty easily. It only took them about an additional 30 seconds to jack the car up and put the dollys under. The only real way(but still not 100%) to defeat the flatbed is to have a very well hidden LoJack system.
Old 08-21-07, 06:49 PM
benxd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just swap in an ECU from a different car and you're good to go.

Never really understood the idea behind lojack. Sure, you'll get your car back, but would you really want your car back after what they might have done to it? I'll start from scratch if it were me.
Old 08-21-07, 06:49 PM
sc400wth tvs
Rookie

If someone really wants to steal ure car any car the thieves would do it. As stealing a lexus 92-05, any lexus model is stealable. Don't ask how i knoe. That is all i can say..Ure best bet is to get a autolock i can almost say 95% it will work or if the thieves have a tow truck they can just tow ure ride away.
Old 08-21-07, 09:48 PM
kwamdoo74
Pole Position

If you park the car in proximity of where the remote is and you have a tilt/motion sensor on your alarm, then at least you will know when it is being towed. This is if you have a DEI alarm with a two-way transmitter. That is how it is advertised by DEI anyway.
Old 08-21-07, 09:53 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai

EDIT: There's always the true and tried and least conspicuous way of throwing the car on a flat bed as I mentioned earlier. I mean just have a tow truck that says BANK REPO towing off a $60K Lexus. I'm sure the bystanders will understand
jeff watch what you say

Originally Posted by LazyAlex
the reason i ask..is becuase im going to start to mod my car..and im wondering if i should get an alarm first..or if i dont even need one..but from ur responese...doesnt really seem i need one..if through it on a flat bed is the way to steal it..cuz even if i had an alarm..that wouldnt od anyhting VS a flat bed..thanks guys..
people dont "steal" cars with flatbeds
Old 08-21-07, 09:55 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they really really wanted your car there is still a way around that. Ever heard of a 4 wheel dolly? They jack up the whole car off the ground and basically put trays with wheels under them. After that, it's just a matter of hooking the winch up to the car and reeling it in. I have seen this happen in other countries where the drivers try to park illegally(then put on the wheel lock) and prevent from being towed...the towtrucks got around that pretty easily. It only took them about an additional 30 seconds to jack the car up and put the dollys under. The only real way(but still not 100%) to defeat the flatbed is to have a very well hidden LoJack system.
jeff with a SELFLOADER it will take approximately 8 to 15 seconds to take any lexus !! trust me i know

Originally Posted by benxd
Just swap in an ECU from a different car and you're good to go.

Never really understood the idea behind lojack. Sure, you'll get your car back, but would you really want your car back after what they might have done to it? I'll start from scratch if it were me.
lojack is defeatable !!
Old 08-21-07, 09:55 PM
kwamdoo74
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusondubs

people dont "steal" cars with flatbeds
They do in Maryland and in DC.
Old 08-21-07, 11:59 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

this is an interesting thread; but we should consider is this really something we want plastered here? i understand the pro's vs con's of posting...but hmmmmm, kinda makes ya think, doesnt it?
Old 08-22-07, 01:18 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LazyAlex
i was just wodering..how easy is it for poeple to steal our cars?..i know "if they really wanted it..they will get it" but i was wondering..how easy is it?

if you promise not to tell ANYone ill tell you how i stole both of mine.
Old 08-22-07, 01:56 AM
G3Johnson
Driver

Speaking of security....has anyone heard of the new car alarm in the making....It uses satelites that can send you an email and/or text message if your alarm is tripped?? I remember seeing a news special where they were testing the security on many newer luxury cars. Surprisingly they were able to get most of them started and gone. Towards the end they were talking with a man about the new alarm they were working on that can send email/ text. It tells you if a window has been broken and which one, or if a body panel has been hit. I was wondering what good this would do if you were far from your car. At least you would know what to look forward to after you got out of the office huh?
Old 08-22-07, 02:09 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G3Johnson
Speaking of security....has anyone heard of the new car alarm in the making....It uses satelites that can send you an email and/or text message if your alarm is tripped?? I remember seeing a news special where they were testing the security on many newer luxury cars. Surprisingly they were able to get most of them started and gone. Towards the end they were talking with a man about the new alarm they were working on that can send email/ text. It tells you if a window has been broken and which one, or if a body panel has been hit. I was wondering what good this would do if you were far from your car. At least you would know what to look forward to after you got out of the office huh?

it would do a lot of good. even if i was somehow a mile away from where my car was parked, if i got some text saying my car was being broken into id be standing next to it inside of 30 seconds. id actually prefer it was hooked up like that to be a silent alarm so i could have a chance at "surprising" whoever's breaking into the car myself.
Old 08-22-07, 03:04 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

There's also an alarm that takes a pic of your car's interior and sends it to the remote. I think CompuStar makes it.
Old 08-22-07, 06:24 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

These cars can be stolen. How easy is it? Some of you should recall this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...one+car+stolen

I believe the LS400 has Keeloc technology as well.. It can be stolen as well as depicted here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+GS+WAS+STOLEN

Aftermarket alarms with responder technology (pager) are great in that it will alert you, via remote transmission, of a breach. Depending on the options you have on said alarm, it can alert you of glass breakage, tow attempt, proximity breach etc.. How you respond to a breach is your call.. Great upgrade an aftermarket pager alarm.
Old 08-22-07, 06:51 AM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Nothing is foolproof, the more of a delay that you can cause the criminals to go through when they are stealing your vehicle, the better chance you have of catching them in the act and bashing their skulls in, or calling the police... what ever your preference... and putting a car on a 4 way dolly (?) does not take 30 seconds, takes about two minutes to put your car on a one wheel dolly I can imagine it will take longer to put it on a 4 way dolly (never heard of it anyway..) like I said, you wanna delay the thieves as much as you can, it all depends on what your strategy is and how much you love you car,
as DASHSHOCKER mentioned there are plenty of aftermarket alarms out there that will page you if your car is even touched let alone lifted or towed. If you combine different security measures chances are you car will be where you left in the morning..
Old 08-22-07, 07:00 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, sounds like it's pretty easy if they really want to flatbed the car! I was coming out of a bar one night and NO JOKE the tow truck was DRAGGING the car out of the parking lot! It was a newer Mustang and I guess the wheels were locked or something. I feel that's complete BS because now if the owner has problems with how the car drives it's his word against the tow truck drivers and the tow truck driver was dead wrong! Even if I was parked illegally if that was done to my car that would be the last tow truck (or any vehicle for that matter) that he would drive!

Quick Reply: how easy is it to steal a gs?