GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help - Antitheft Lug Nut Broke off

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-01, 02:35 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Help - Antitheft Lug Nut Broke off

Does anyone know what to do if the antitheft security lug nut top part broke off inside the wheel? I was trying to change the spare tire and that Piece of Sxxx broke off. some part was left inside the lug key ... while it left the nut unable to be remove from the wheel... can the dealer remove it??????

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Help - Antitheft Lug Nut Broke off-wheel.jpg  
Old 11-25-01, 04:32 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maybe some help

I can't really tell from the picture what part broke, but the dealer will have a Master set if they are your factory wheel locks. Additionally, there is a card in all of your owner's manual stuff from the wheel lock manuf. with a reg. # on it in case of lost key etc. If the actual lug itself is broken the dealer won't be able to help much - I'd suggest taking a socket that is the closest size smaller than the wheel lock lug nut and with a hammer, tap it over the lock. You don't have to go nuts, just enough to keep it from slipping when you try to turn it. THis works I have done it before, but I can't tell how broken your lug is or how much room you have to get the socket in. Good Luck.
Old 11-25-01, 05:04 PM
eppan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help - Antitheft Lug Nut Broke off

Originally posted by Shinchan
Does anyone know what to do if the antitheft security lug nut top part broke off inside the wheel? I was trying to change the spare tire and that Piece of Sxxx broke off. some part was left inside the lug key ... while it left the nut unable to be remove from the wheel... can the dealer remove it??????

Thanks
Yes, the dealer can remove it....they would have to remove the wheel assembly and basically remove the bolt from the other side.

I had this happen to me once, although it was broken by the tire shop and I had to take it to Toyota to remove it...thank god I didn't have to pay for it.

Oh...you could go to a wheel shop and they can get it out using a special nut that will go over what is left...BUT I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND as it will tend to destroy the wheel....and also not guaranteed....so you might be back at the dealer anyways....been there done that.

oh it will take them most of the day to do it.

Good Luck.
Old 11-25-01, 07:20 PM
N10S1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just Dremel it out. Or if the vehicle is still under warranty and those are factory wheel locks you can probably get a free set. Also don't forget to call the meatheads at Lexus customer service about it. Maybe they will give you some free services or accessories for all your frustrations. Remember, it's always the squeaky wheel that gets the oil.