GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Snow tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-07, 08:32 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the Michelin Arctic Alpins too. I like them so far!
Old 02-15-07, 10:04 AM
narfy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
I just checked and the Dunlop M3s are rated at the top of the "winter passenger" category, ahead of the Blizzak LM-25 and LM-22 and the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2. Here's the link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...sp?type=W&VT=C

The problem is that they don't come in 225/55/16. What size did you put on your GS?
i have michelin pilot alpinII's in 225/55R16 on my GS430... they do make them... they are available...
Originally Posted by CDW91
I have the Michelin Arctic Alpins too. I like them so far!
unfortunately, the michelin arctic alpins are discontinued... and when they were available, they weren't the greatest on ice... they were GREAT in soft and hard packed snow, but not so good on ice... and they whistled at higher speeds too...
Old 02-15-07, 11:17 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by narfy
i have michelin pilot alpinII's in 225/55R16 on my GS430... they do make them... they are available...
Actually, I was referring to the Dunlop Winter Sport M3s. I can't seem to find those anywhere in 225/55/16.
Old 02-15-07, 12:19 PM
narfy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by e-man
Actually, I was referring to the Dunlop Winter Sport M3s. I can't seem to find those anywhere in 225/55/16.
my bad... good luck with your search...
Old 02-15-07, 07:24 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

the michelin pilot aplina snow tires are amazing! the grip on those is better than the grip on my all season bridgestone tuaranzas in all conditions. the only thing is that the side wall is pretty soft on the alpinas.
Old 02-19-07, 07:52 PM
jz4203
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, But I've been off the site for the past few days. I just went and checked my 98 GS400 and the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's are 255/55/16. I bought them in late 2005 (last winter). Went onto the Tire Rack website (where I bought them) and confirmed what you saw; they weren't listed. You might try elswhere, they really are great snow tires that work great on dry roads too.
Old 02-19-07, 07:55 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jz4203
Sorry, But I've been off the site for the past few days. I just went and checked my 98 GS400 and the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's are 255/55/16. I bought them in late 2005 (last winter). Went onto the Tire Rack website (where I bought them) and confirmed what you saw; they weren't listed. You might try elswhere, they really are great snow tires that work great on dry roads too.
Thanks for checking back. I tried a few other sites, but couldn't find them. Maybe Tire Rack is just out of stock in that size because the winter is over. I'll check back towards the end of the summer. I think the 215/55/16s were around $85/tire, so I wouldn't expect the 225/55/16s to be that much more. Thanks for the info.

e
Old 02-19-07, 08:02 PM
jz4203
Rookie

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
I saw the chart on TireRack and they have the tires broke down into three categories. Does anyone know what "Performance Winter Tire" mean? Are there any advantages with performance as oppose to the studless ice & snow? All I would really want is great handling in the snow.
Studless ice & snow basically means a real full-time snow tire. If you live where you have snow-packed roads all the time, then these are for you. If you drive most of the time on dry roads, they typically are noisy and handle poorly (and wear real fast). That's were Perfromance snows come in; they are snow tires, a major stepup from all-seasons, but on dry roads, still handle well. So, if you're like me and do a lot of driving on dry roads, but still want something that works almost as well as the Studless ice & snow when the weather's bad, then a Perfromance Snow will give you a quiet, smooth ride and when you take exit ramps, you won't have to slow down to 25mph.
Old 02-19-07, 08:50 PM
FrankWhite
Lead Lap

I have dunlop graspic in 225 55. Like 86 a tire. I don't know if they're good or not, but if I didn't have a snow tire on...I can't imagine how bad it could be.
Old 02-19-07, 08:56 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FrankWhite
I have dunlop graspic in 225 55. Like 86 a tire. I don't know if they're good or not, but if I didn't have a snow tire on...I can't imagine how bad it could be.
Hey Frank. Where did you get them?
Old 02-20-07, 04:10 PM
FrankWhite
Lead Lap

Tire Rack of course
Old 02-20-07, 06:54 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jz4203
Studless ice & snow basically means a real full-time snow tire. If you live where you have snow-packed roads all the time, then these are for you. If you drive most of the time on dry roads, they typically are noisy and handle poorly (and wear real fast). That's were Perfromance snows come in; they are snow tires, a major stepup from all-seasons, but on dry roads, still handle well. So, if you're like me and do a lot of driving on dry roads, but still want something that works almost as well as the Studless ice & snow when the weather's bad, then a Perfromance Snow will give you a quiet, smooth ride and when you take exit ramps, you won't have to slow down to 25mph.
I read in Consumer Reports that the studless were noisy. I look for a set of tires based on that chart from Tire Rack in the Performance category. Thanks.
Old 02-20-07, 06:59 PM
wallcloud
Driver School Candidate

The Michelin X-Ice do handle like crap on the dry surface and around curves. Definitley take some getting used too versus your low profile tires on bigger rims. But it has been snowing @ my housse since Sept. and they are worth the cost for where I live.
Old 02-20-07, 07:57 PM
landarc
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy A whistling noise from my winter tires

Hi. I have Pilot Alpine 225/55R16 with an H rating. I am very happy with them. I noticed last year that my front right tire was making a whistling noise when I am driving between 40 kmh to 60 kmh. I went to Lexus dealer ship and he said that it is probably the tire. Since these tires are directional, I had them in the front last year and whistling noise came from the front right. Now I have the tire in right rear and am still getting a whistling noise in the back. I went to an authorized Michelin tire technician yesterday and he called Michelin also to explain the noise. Michelin said that I should have bought a V rated winter tires. My question to them is, why? I am not driving 240 kmh in the winter. It’s just the one tire which is whistling and my other three don’t make any noises at all. I am going to call Michelin tomorrow and also visit Costco where I bought the tires from and see if they can help me. Has anyone else had this whistling problem whit their winter tires? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-20-07, 09:27 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by landarc
Hi. I have Pilot Alpine 225/55R16 with an H rating. I am very happy with them. I noticed last year that my front right tire was making a whistling noise when I am driving between 40 kmh to 60 kmh. I went to Lexus dealer ship and he said that it is probably the tire. Since these tires are directional, I had them in the front last year and whistling noise came from the front right. Now I have the tire in right rear and am still getting a whistling noise in the back. I went to an authorized Michelin tire technician yesterday and he called Michelin also to explain the noise. Michelin said that I should have bought a V rated winter tires. My question to them is, why? I am not driving 240 kmh in the winter. It’s just the one tire which is whistling and my other three don’t make any noises at all. I am going to call Michelin tomorrow and also visit Costco where I bought the tires from and see if they can help me. Has anyone else had this whistling problem whit their winter tires? Thanks in advance.

I haven't had that problem, but I might be able to help. My wife's Acura MDX has had a problem over the last 18 months where it drifts to the left. The car has had 3 or 4 alignments and the problem persists. Recently, I had Acura switch the front tires left to right and vice versa and wouldn't you know it, the car started veering to the right. I went straight to Costco where we bought the tires (not coincidentally, 18 months earlier) and explained the problem. Suspecting the front right tire (previously front left) was the culprit, they rotated the right side only front to back and the drifting went away. They promptly replaced the right rear tire (previously front right and before that front left) under warranty at no charge.

Anyway, my point is that if you go to Costco and explain the situation, chances are they will work with you to resolve it. Keep us posted.

e

Quick Reply: Snow tires?