GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

black ice. totalled. next steps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-07, 12:11 PM
qlex56
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn sorry for your loss
Old 01-24-07, 01:20 PM
Racerx0911
Pole Position

sorry for ur lost man....but how in hell did the airbags not go off?
Old 01-24-07, 01:21 PM
chowder
Driver

Some answers:

The chassis twist was from slapping both the center concrete divider and the water side concrete wall. Back and forth, corner to corner. Final position was T to the water side wall. Thankfully the solid construction stopped me from a 100ft fall at the end.

I was going dead straight. Suddenly I heard the traction control beep and the back end bounced off the wall in an instant. It's a high narrow 4-lane (2 each way) bridge. The back end only slid ~5ft before impact. That set off subsequent pinballing, glancing blows, until the abrupt T. ECUgs430's sense of helplessness is dead on.

We'll never know, but I think I might have made it with FWD (or 4WD). I was the first car in left lane, there was a FWD in the right lane and a 4WD in my lane, both right behind me. RWD factored in huge on the incline, and ECT/Snow wasn't going to save me, I bet (speculative hindsight).

Lesson learned: next time I'll recognize all the ingredients of this perfect storm, and won't be the lead car across a narrow high bridge with RWD.

I am now focussed on understanding how to get a fair shake at settlement. If anyone cares to comment on the citation, that's a bonus (albiet less important).

PMs or advice about what I should or should not do (research salvage values, meeting the adjuster, whatever) from here -- based on personal experience -- would be great.

I've heard a good tip already: take the license plate with me (wasn't obvious to me at all).

Thanks.
Old 01-24-07, 01:22 PM
Racerx0911
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
Mannnnnnnn......sorry man. U think your ECT snow button would have helped any? Careful all you guys on the East Coast.
that only helps for the car to start in second gear instead of first...
Old 01-24-07, 01:28 PM
rizgs300
Rookie

i doubt it wouldhave helped much. this past weekend i got STRANDED on a very small hill on a back road with a very sligh incline and maybe an inch of snow that turned into ice quickly. i kept sliding down the hill even with my foot on the brake and with the car in park. eventually, some guy came aorund in an explorer on monster truck wheel sand luckily had a chain that he hooked to the front of my car, and pulled me up the hill to the top. i had been driving with snow ECT mode and in low gears the whole time. sometimes it helps i guess, but dont count on it. even with all season pirelli's, my car SUCK in the snow and ice and almost had me starnded for hours this weekend - i don't know how comfortable i even feel driving my GS in icy conditions anymore. one point though, when i had 16's with 235/55/16 tires, i had many less problems in snow. i would still slip around a lot, but nowhere close to how much i felt this past saturday.
Old 01-24-07, 01:29 PM
russian
Driver

that'll buff right out!
Old 01-24-07, 02:58 PM
narfy
Lead Lap

that totally sucks man...

sorry to sound mean, but i wonder if your homelink unit would be up for sale??
Old 01-24-07, 03:06 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry for your loss man!!! Seems like you are from delaware, just by looking at your rear license plate, but anyways is this happened on Summit bridge on 896? My friend was driving a white GS430 and he told me that he saw another GS lost control on the bridge. But GS saved you!!!
Old 01-24-07, 05:12 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, that is one tough pill to swallow. Just looking at that one picture of your right rear wheel bent outwards is tought to look at.
Hey I see that your in the first state. Where did your accident happen at and was it the county cops or the state police that gave you the ticket?
Old 01-24-07, 05:16 PM
StockGS400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about this man
Old 01-24-07, 06:05 PM
owali
Driver

Originally Posted by russian
that'll buff right out!
Ha Ha. Lol
Old 01-24-07, 08:30 PM
400 Degrez
Driver

Man Dude thats sucks glad you are okay
Old 01-24-07, 09:56 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When my car was totaled. I had receipts for ALL aftermarket parts and insurance check paid for everything. Easier then pulling all the items out.
Old 01-25-07, 07:54 AM
chowder
Driver

some responses:

I wondered about the airbags myself. I think the speed was sufficient but perhaps the angle wasn't? I also don't know if they would have made things better or worse.

Yes that was me on Summit. State trooper wrote the ticket, and mentioned it almost as an afterthought.

My car has not been modified in any way since I drove it off the lot. I have the 17" only b/c the sales people found me another new buyer who wanted nak/nav but not the big wheels; I wanted exactly the opposite.

Is it any benefit for me to be present when the adjuster comes to survey the car for the insurance company?

Anyone know the salvage value of these parts? I presume it will be far removed from me once they cut a check, but I'm still generally curious.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-07, 02:05 AM
Czechlex
Pole Position

Man, soooo sorry for the loss!! I just moved to Cali from Boston cause of the crappy weather. If you r tryin' to get rid of parts I would be glad to take that shift **** and driver's side windshield pillar panel off your hands. Name your price.

Quick Reply: black ice. totalled. next steps?