GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

'01 cluster upgrade wiring harness.. can i buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-06, 01:50 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '01 cluster upgrade wiring harness.. can i buy?

i guess theres a harness that goes along with the 01+ gs cluster upgrade.. i was about to pick the new cluster up in the classifieds but the guys saying doesn't come with that... anybody have a clue how much and where to pick this up...im assuming youll say the usual vendors but i wanted to ask..

thanks in advance
mike
Old 11-25-06, 02:08 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't think you need a new harness. That one should fit right in the plug of your car. It's just for the two odometer buttons on the side, not for the actual gauges. As far as I can tell, they didn't change the plug for the newer years.
Old 11-25-06, 02:09 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I don't think you need a new harness. That one should fit right in the plug of your car. It's just for the two odometer buttons on the side, not for the actual gauges.
really? that would be great if someone could verify..i just shot carsonlex and supraristo PM's about buying one if i need it... obviously i have the harness from my current one..just wanna make sure its the same... i assumed it was different because on the parts sites they make a point to say includes harness for plug and play...
Old 11-25-06, 02:14 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
really? that would be great if someone could verify..i just shot carsonlex and supraristo PM's about buying one if i need it... obviously i have the harness from my current one..just wanna make sure its the same... i assumed it was different because on the parts sites they make a point to say includes harness for plug and play...
If you can, snap a picture of your plug. I'll try to get a pic of mine posted here tomorrow.
Old 11-25-06, 02:24 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

If you can, snap a picture of your plug. I'll try to get a pic of mine posted here tomorrow.
hey man- thanks for the help. found out they arent the same.. got a lead on a new one now though so im good.
Old 11-25-06, 02:28 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Ok no problem. That's weird...I wonder why they would change the plug on such a frivolous part. Its just a standard 4 pin, 4 wire connector. All they did was add some silver rings/black paint to the cluster. Heh, oh well I guess they just had to change some stuff up to say "hey its the all new 01+ model"
Old 11-25-06, 02:31 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Ok no problem. That's weird...I wonder why they would change the plug on such a frivolous part. Its just a standard 4 pin, 4 wire connector. All they did was add some silver rings/black paint to the cluster. Heh, oh well I guess they just had to change some stuff up to say "hey its the all new 01+ model"
thats EXACTLY why they did it lol. and so you had to buy a new one.
Old 11-25-06, 02:56 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I saw that cluster to and thought that would be a nice upgrade.. My question is how do you get the old one off? I looked the other day and can't seem to find screws or anything.. Is this a snap on piece or something? The one in the classifieds looks in mint condition.. Thanks

T
Old 11-25-06, 03:04 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I saw that cluster to and thought that would be a nice upgrade.. My question is how do you get the old one off? I looked the other day and can't seem to find screws or anything.. Is this a snap on piece or something? The one in the classifieds looks in mint condition.. Thanks

T
Yep it's snap in piece. Just reach your fingers behind wherever there is a crack between the bezel and gauge cover. Pull backwards REALLY hard and it will just pop out. I thought I was going to snap it in half the first time I did it, but it eventually popped out...lol.
Old 11-25-06, 03:16 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm..just ordered the 01+ cluster a week ago...i hope it comes with the wiring
Old 11-25-06, 10:07 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1. The cluster cover does not usually come with wiring. I believe Carson sells them as a set though.

2. The new cover is a little more than just "rings" and paint. Instead of that pseudo-leather/vinyl feel, it is the same matte black plastic to match the parts on the center cluster. This means that the new replacement is NOT the same as adding "rings" to an older cover from a black interior car.

3. The position of the turn signal indicators were moved. I cannot say for everyone, but for me, visibility of these indicators were improved. The way I had my driving setup (seat, steering wheel positions), the indicators were mostly obstructed by the top of the steering wheel. I think this was part of the reason for a new wiring harness. I am not sure if the old one would reach. I did not try to verify this as I bought the harness with the cover.
Old 11-26-06, 10:50 AM
BurgandyGS
Pole Position

So this upgrade is just a plug and play?? I thought I saw a thread awhile ago and someone was having problems? If it's not, that would be a great upgrade. $$$??? are we talking.
Old 11-26-06, 11:03 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Neo
1. The cluster cover does not usually come with wiring. I believe Carson sells them as a set though.
Hmm....ill have to order them then...

Originally Posted by Neo
2. The new cover is a little more than just "rings" and paint. Instead of that pseudo-leather/vinyl feel, it is the same matte black plastic to match the parts on the center cluster. This means that the new replacement is NOT the same as adding "rings" to an older cover from a black interior car.
This is exactly why i bought it

Originally Posted by Neo
3. The position of the turn signal indicators were moved. I cannot say for everyone, but for me, visibility of these indicators were improved. The way I had my driving setup (seat, steering wheel positions), the indicators were mostly obstructed by the top of the steering wheel. I think this was part of the reason for a new wiring harness. I am not sure if the old one would reach. I did not try to verify this as I bought the harness with the cover.
Thanx....i wasnt aware of this...actually a VERY usefull update for me too...as i cant see the indicators the way i sit either
Old 11-26-06, 07:47 PM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cluster upgrade!

This is a mod that you will visibly see everyday! The upgrade is all cosmetic but it looks much better! The harness is normally $100.00 (+-). Your local dealer should have this item in stock. I completed this mod a few months ago and love it. Good luck.
Old 11-26-06, 07:53 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Can someone post pix of the 98-00 and the 01-05 cluster? I want to see what the big difference is. I keep hearing about people doing this mod but don't know what the big deal is.

Quick Reply: '01 cluster upgrade wiring harness.. can i buy?