GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

99 GS400 Keys...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-01, 04:22 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 GS400 Keys...

I was wondering if you guys know, i don't know where my spare keys are, prolly somewhere stuck in my garage but too much stuff in there to find it, can i just get a spare key and have the chip reprogrammed? Thanks.
Old 10-16-01, 05:05 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what Im told ( not sure though ) is that if you do loose your keys, you need to change the whole setup, the bad part about this is that if you do eventually find your keys there gonna be useless, the good part is lexus will pay for everything except labor and programming the keys ( which will run between $400-$600 at the dealers )
Old 10-17-01, 07:57 AM
BkInBlk
Rookie

Default Replacement Key

It's not necessary to have everything re-keyed. Each car has a code assigned to its key. Any lexus dealer can go into their system, get your key code and order you a replacement key. As to the cost, I don't know - but it is probably not cheap.
Old 10-17-01, 08:12 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

let me set this straight one more time:

Lexus can order you a key, any key, just give them your VIN number
price per key (with the remote built-in) is around $180 at my local lexus dealer.
you can also order the valet key which does not have the remote and can't not start the car.

(only the key with the remote build-in can start the car, called it master key)

programming the new key (the remote build in key) so it can start the car is $40, but alot of dealer do it for free , w/o programming, you can only use the remote to open the door, but you can't start the car

you don't program the valet key, just the master key (the one with the remote)

in order to program a new master key, you have to have an existing master key "already" (master key, that you are using to start you car now)

if you don't have any existing master key, then you are looking to spend mucho money to replace the Immobilization unit in the car, ie replace the ECU ($800 sound right)

Anh
Old 10-17-01, 09:29 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by BananaGS
let me set this straight one more time:

Lexus can order you a key, any key, just give them your VIN number
price per key (with the remote built-in) is around $180 at my local lexus dealer.

You have to have a good master key to bring to the dealer in order to program the new master or valet key. The VIN number tells them how to cut the key. The good master is needed to program it to start the car (and, for the new master, to use the alarm system).

you can also order the valet key which does not have the remote and can't not start the car. (only the key with the remote build-in can start the car, called it master key)

The valet key CAN start the car. It CAN'T lock/unlock the glove box or the trunk.
Old 10-17-01, 11:12 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Does that mean that i can buy a guy's key off ebay and have it reprogrammed? Thanks.
Old 10-17-01, 12:16 PM
TLEX
Lead Lap

Unhappy yeh

Yeh, I kinda have the same problem. I lost my master key and now I only have the valet key. It can only start the car and cant open the trunk. I dont want to spend hundreds of dollars to replace the master at the dealer.

How can I have a new master key cut when I don't have the original?
Old 10-17-01, 07:43 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Default Re: yeh

Originally posted by TLEX
Yeh, I kinda have the same problem. I lost my master key and now I only have the valet key. It can only start the car and cant open the trunk. I dont want to spend hundreds of dollars to replace the master at the dealer.

If you lost BOTH of your master's keys, then the only way to have it replaced is to replace the entire immobolization unit like banana said . and that will cost ya!
Old 10-17-01, 09:14 PM
eppan
Pole Position

I want to know how many master and valet keys they actually give you with a new immobolization unit.

If you think about it...it might actually make sense to get a new unit if you have lost both master keys...renders the lost keys useless.

Also, I was pissed when they only guaranteed two keys for a CPO lexus. On top of that it was only one (1) master and (1) valet. Hey where are the other keys???? (probably on ebay .. eek: )

It takes them about 10 minutes to program a new remote/master key and forever to wash the car.... .... should have said no to the complimentary car wash. Geeez:

Either ways... please let me know what u find out. Thanks and Good Luck!

eppan@yahoo.com
Old 10-17-01, 09:18 PM
redgs
Driver School Candidate

One thing the tech recommended to me was to convert my Valet key into a Master key (I only had 1 master and 1 valet at the time) as a backup. Only took 5 minutes, the chip inside is the same, just different programming.
Old 10-17-01, 11:24 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Originally posted by gsnav
Does that mean that i can buy a guy's key off ebay and have it reprogrammed? Thanks.
No, that would mean that the guy on ebay is selling a key cut to your car. What are those odds????
Old 10-17-01, 11:26 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Originally posted by redgs
One thing the tech recommended to me was to convert my Valet key into a Master key (I only had 1 master and 1 valet at the time) as a backup. Only took 5 minutes, the chip inside is the same, just different programming.
This can only be done on older cars. 2001 models: the engine ecu knows what kind of key is in the ignition.
Old 10-17-01, 11:29 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Originally posted by eppan
I want to know how many master and valet keys they actually give you with a new immobolization unit.

eppan@yahoo.com
On your model car, the engine ecu IS the immobolizer. It's built into the engine ecu. If you lose all your master keys your ***********. But since lexus has seen this as a big problem, they will buy the engine ecu for you. But you must buy the new keys and pay for the install and programming.
Old 10-17-01, 11:31 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Default Re: yeh

Originally posted by TLEX

Your in the same boat. If you really want new master keys you need to go to your dealer. Tell them you lost all your master keys. They will call customer sat and order you a new engine ecu. But YOU must pay for the new keys and the install.

Last edited by DevilDog; 10-18-01 at 05:22 AM.
Old 10-17-01, 11:50 PM
TLEX
Lead Lap

Thanks for all the info guys.

Quick Reply: 99 GS400 Keys...