GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

'03 GS300 audio system mod/car pc

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-06, 01:00 PM
joleonekc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 GS300 audio system mod/car pc

Ok,

So, I am like a major PC-mod kinda guy and have been looking at a 2003 GS300 w/ no GPS navigation. I have found a nice little 7" motorized, touchscreen, flip-out display that will fit nicely into a regular radio mount housing. I have most of the PC parts on hand, other than the 12v power supply.

So, before I go do this I have some questions. Keeping the car looking as factory as possible is the goal here.

First and foremost. Has anyone completely removed their stereo? I am planning on doing this, as the PC i build will have am/fm/cd/tv etc. Is there a security override circuit that I need to buy for this car? (on alot of GM cars, the car will not run unless it has either the factory stereo or a security override circuit in place).

The model I am looking at has the factory upgraded sound system in it. I would like to hook this upto the PC. Does anyone know the expected levels of audio that the factory sound system is expecting? Will i have to get some sort of gain/level adjuster circuit to place in-between the sound system and my sound blaster card that is going in the PC?

I also have a power amp and 12" subwoofer to put in the trunk of the car. What other pieces will i need to add this to my stereo system?

The car I am looking at has power seats, of course. Does anyone know how much room is under the passenger seat? Measurements would be outstanding, as this is where I anticipate placing the CPU portion of the CarPC.

PM me if you want specs on the CarPC I would be adding to this car, or the display, etc.

Any other additional remarks on the '03 GS300, such as concerns, dislikes, etc?
Old 10-01-06, 12:15 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i doubt you would need a security overide as some members have aftermarket headunits installed

as far as using the factory speakers...i thinks its a matter of splicing wires and connecting it to the carpc itself (via USB or course). a couple of friends have carpc's and run ROADRUNNER as their mp3/videos player. u can customise your own skins for viewing and what have u with this program (its very nice and easy to operate). also get iGuidance, one of the best GPS softwares out there