GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 for ES350???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-06, 07:15 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GS400 for ES350???

OK, My wife has brought it up. I was waiting for the GS460, but some issues came up and I need money to work on some house projects. The 2GS is depreciating more and more, just as any other older bodystyle, though it looks great. The IS350 is too small. It has to be new and it has to be a Lexus.

Would I regret it if I traded in my GS400 for a new ES 350? Consider the following:

- I'm not that young anymore, though I do like a more youthful car.
- GS is depreciating faster than I thought.
- I don't care much for handling. I'm more about a comfortable ride.
- I do place an emphasis on straight line performance (I love that V8 low end torque)
- The payments would allow flexibility for other non automotive projects
- I do value gas mileage. The GS gets 17 MPG. Would like something better.
- I do like the trunkspace of the new ES. My wife will also be driving it often.
- I love the styling of a ES. More than the 2IS and 3GS.
- Planning to put rims on it if I get to make it more stylish

It took 2 years to find my GS. I specifically wanted a local car, PDW, NAV, low miles, immac. condition and finally I found exactly what I was looking for, though I had to pay a higher price for it. I would hate to see it go, but it's an older car.

Opinions. I have been discussing over with my wife ever since the ES350 came out and we drove one. It's in the 8th inning now and we're getting serious. Keep the GS400, which is a '98 with 78k miles w/NAV & in good condition or trade it in for a new ES350, with ML and Nav? I wish I could keep both, but as of now. I can't.
Old 09-23-06, 07:32 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Keep the GS 4 and start to mod it
Old 09-23-06, 08:26 PM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry but you dont make any sense. Youre saying that the payment would be smaller on a NEW ES350 over a '98 GS400???

Also, about depreciation. Your '98 has depreciated just about as much as it will and now will maybe depreciate 1-2K a year or depending on how much you drive it and how you take care of it, so buying a used car is the smartest choice in terms of depreciation. THe new ES350 will deprciate about 15% each year for the first 2-3 years and slowly slope off. So youre going to lose about $10K in value the first 2 years alone.
Old 09-23-06, 09:14 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PetesLS400
Sorry but you dont make any sense. Youre saying that the payment would be smaller on a NEW ES350 over a '98 GS400???
I meant that the payments would be smaller than the payments on a GS350 or GS460, which I was originally planning to purchase. But if I get the cheaper ES (as opposed to the GS) AND trade in my GS, it would give me a new car for less than what I would have paid for if I had gotten a GS.
Also, about depreciation. Your '98 has depreciated just about as much as it will and now will maybe depreciate 1-2K a year or depending on how much you drive it and how you take care of it, so buying a used car is the smartest choice in terms of depreciation. THe new ES350 will deprciate about 15% each year for the first 2-3 years and slowly slope off. So youre going to lose about $10K in value the first 2 years alone.
I hope you're right. Car was about $30,000 about 3 1/2 years ago. I don't know if I could even get $15k for it now. As for the ES's depreciation, I guess I just want a new car. I am looking at the option of leasing a ES because I could see myself getting a GS460 after I remodel the house down the line.

Gas mileage is a concern for me. As you could see from my sig, my Tundra and GS4 love gulping on gas. My old Camry, which is my beater, is now sucking up almost as much gas as my GS, which is terrible for a 4 cylinder. It's reliable with almost 300k miles now, but sucks too much gas, and it's getting worse. I need the Tundra for hauling around stuff, so I probably have to keep it. That's down to the GS4 and Camry. I would like to keep the Camry just because it's been with me through all. It was my college car and never let me down, which I still appreciate to this day. It's sort of a trophy for what I've gone through . Plus I probably couldn't get much for it anyway.

I don't want to outright buy a new beater and keep the GS around because I would like something new and from Lexus only. I'm not in the position right now to keep the GS and buy the ES either, so it's either keep the GS, hope that it doesn't depreciate too much, then trade it in for a new GS460 in about 4-5 years, which by then, I can probably get a GS rather than an ES. The other option is to trade in the GS for the ES for now.

As for modding, I have been here awhile and have not given into the temptation on modding! Something keeps coming up when I'm ready to mod. So I don't know if it's the right time to start...

Last edited by GStateOM; 09-23-06 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-24-06, 01:11 AM
LT. LEX
Lead Lap

Your dilemma seems pretty simple to me. But most situations seem less difficult when you're on the outside looking in.

You gotta dump the Camry! Other than sentimental reasons, it serves no purpose. 300K is more than you can ask for, for any car. Let it R.I.P. It would be a great 1st car for some young 16y.o. out there. Plus I'm sure it's not adding to the aesthetic value of your driveway.

Keep the GS400. You're concerned that the value of the car is not what you expected. But you have to keep in mind that the car, similar to stocks, only lose value when you sell it. You may not be able to get what you feel it deserves if you were to sell it, so I'd say keep it. It's still very young as far as mileage goes with only 78K. It's a gorgeous car. It still rivals most other cars in its category. If you are looking to make the GS more comfortable, return the car back to its stock specs if it's modded. The GS stock, is an incredibly comfortable ride.

Incurring one less expense now I believe is the prudent choice. It will free up some cashflow for your other expenses. I don't believe the benefits of getting the ES outweighs the benefits of keeping the GS.

Also remember that getting something you kinda want will never take the place of what you really want. I found that out when I bought my Maxima a few years back. It was nice and fun to drive, but wasn't what I really wanted. So what did I do...I traded it in a couple of years after I bought it.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-24-06, 05:49 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Not knowing the situation I too am leaning towards keeping the GS. First off, I'm going to assume there are payments to made on all of your vehicles except the Camry. Sell the Camry out right and trade/sell that Solara for the ES. The wife will be very happy driving the ES and you will get your turn. It's pretty tough to beat a stock 2nd GS for comfort and realiability.
Old 09-24-06, 07:48 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the look of the new ES350 and it has good power. Anice set of wheels is the only mod needed. I vote for the ES.
Old 09-24-06, 08:42 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Why not keep driving the GS? That will be the cheapest option, plus I'd rather drive a 98 GS than a 2006 ES, even if the ES was cheaper
Old 09-24-06, 04:08 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

I get what you are saying. I love the styling of the new ES350. So go for it, and fix up your house when the GS460 comes out you can get that. Personally the 2gen GS is wearing off of me right now, and i too am looking for something else. I guess i'm spoiled with all the gizmos on my IS350. No offense to 2gen GS owners i hope.
Old 09-24-06, 04:44 PM
mvallido
Pole Position

Go all out on the house projects and keep the GS then get the 460 when it comes out. You will have more convincing power with the wife.
Old 09-24-06, 06:51 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd wait for the bugs to be worked out of the new es before I'd even consider one. the tranny thing is scary. even with lexus, it's not always a safe bet to get the first year a brand new model.
Old 09-24-06, 08:13 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

All I know is that if my car got stolen today, and somebody offered me a free GS400/430 with low mileage or a free ES350 with low mileage, I'd take the GS without hesitation. A Camry just can't compare to a RWD sports sedan with a V8. I drove a 2001 Camry for 5.5 years and while I'm sure they've made some great advances since 2001, there is no way a car built to appeal to 500 000+ people a year can compete with a purpose built sports sedan

The new ES does look nice though, I'll give you that (of course, not as nice as the 2G GS )
Old 09-24-06, 10:05 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chuckb
I'd wait for the bugs to be worked out of the new es before I'd even consider one. the tranny thing is scary. even with lexus, it's not always a safe bet to get the first year a brand new model.
Chuck's right about first year models. I just got my is350 about 6months ago and already got some issues.
Old 09-25-06, 05:30 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lease the ES350. After 3 yrs, you can turn it in for a new and better Lexus. If the GS400 is too much of a financial burden, then sell it.
Old 09-25-06, 05:11 PM
bluerex
Lead Lap

buying a new car always feels great...new smell, anything happens to the car, you know that you did it. warranty is always great with a new car. i've purchased a new car before. having said all of that...i'll never buy another brand new car again. i cant stand that burning feeling in your heart when you know you lost 15% of the cars value as soon as you sign on the dot. its just rediculous. but like the saying goes..you get what you pay for..(keep ur gs, its so much more sexy)

Quick Reply: GS400 for ES350???