GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY climate control LED

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-08, 07:42 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by samster
white LEDs. Climate controls easy, radio...................... kicked my *** for a moment,
it was really hard to place the face plate with the buttons back on in working order.
gonna do all the window switches, door locks, and key ring later today.
Then mabe i'd get some clearer pics with a cam

also removed the orange reverse and green neutrel on the shifter plate,
thats for the people that thought it looked differnt and couldn't figgure it out-=]
Could you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take pictures so that I can do this!!! PLEASE PLEASE, I'm begging you...... I REALLY want to do this. Thank you in advance!!!

-Joe
Old 04-10-08, 07:43 AM
jamodeo

One more thing... How the HE|| did you take off the VSC Switch and ECT switch??? Can NOT figure that out?

thanks
-Joe
Old 04-10-08, 07:58 AM
hurricane
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good ... alot less ricey then i thought it would
Old 04-10-08, 11:14 AM
samster
Pole Position

thanks -=) it's abit brighter then the mellow green, but it does look alot nicer, i've sat in my car for awhile just staring at it hahah

Originally Posted by hurricane
looks good ... alot less ricey then i thought it would
Old 04-10-08, 11:16 AM
samster
Pole Position

hahah i could just tease all of you like the other threads i've found or i could be caring enough to share -=) what would it'll be? as for the power/snow, heated seat, and vsc buttons you'd have to remove the woodgrain trim and remove the buttons from underneath plz be gentle and don't break panels!

Originally Posted by jamodeo
One more thing... How the HE|| did you take off the VSC Switch and ECT switch??? Can NOT figure that out?

thanks
-Joe
Old 04-10-08, 07:59 PM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Smile

I don't want to sound demanding, but could you use an actual digicam? I'm interested in seeing what the finished product looks like with a higher quality camera. Thanks.
Old 04-11-08, 12:16 AM
samster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Phamboogie
I don't want to sound demanding, but could you use an actual digicam? I'm interested in seeing what the finished product looks like with a higher quality camera. Thanks.

it's not that easy to take a pic............ but i'd try later before or after class tonight. The thing is that if it's to bright you can't see the LEDs and if its to dark out, i'd need to use flash and when you use flash the picture comes out funky with the LEDs. mabe i'd take some afternoon and night pics so you guys could get a closer idea of how it looks
Old 04-11-08, 09:17 AM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Use time exposure. Set it to 1/2 to 1/4 of a second.
Old 04-11-08, 08:45 PM
samster
Pole Position

Old 04-11-08, 08:49 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

what method did you use for the climate control and which size leds?
Old 04-11-08, 08:58 PM
samster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Spyder78
what method did you use for the climate control and which size leds?

if your in the city, brooklyn or queens. I'd be glad to help u out. The climate control has alot of space, i would say its capable of taking a 8mm LED. It has a base for for a bulb around the size of a 5mm led, i would say? but just the resistors placement has to come in account for the space u need.
Old 04-12-08, 12:33 AM
pimplux808
Pole Position

it looks great......u know what would look bad *** in you car is some blue LED lights instead of the white , it would match your gauges etc. . .
Old 04-12-08, 12:41 AM
d3fc0N_21
Driver

Originally Posted by samster
if your in the city, brooklyn or queens. I'd be glad to help u out. The climate control has alot of space, i would say its capable of taking a 8mm LED. It has a base for for a bulb around the size of a 5mm led, i would say? but just the resistors placement has to come in account for the space u need.
Hey samster,

Great job on your LED's. I'm currently getting mine worked on because I'm not brave enough to DIY. Do you mind sharing your trade secret on how to clear out the orange and green on the shifter plate? I'm pretty much trying to figure it out.
Old 04-12-08, 05:18 AM
samster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by d3fc0N_21
Hey samster,

Great job on your LED's. I'm currently getting mine worked on because I'm not brave enough to DIY. Do you mind sharing your trade secret on how to clear out the orange and green on the shifter plate? I'm pretty much trying to figure it out.

paint removel and repaint, not for the faint of heart.... lol but my shifter plate was scraped up and bothered me since i've purchaused my car and the previous owner had a shift lock on it. I removed the lock and the bar, but the bar cut up the shift plate and it was leakin light and it was so hidious to look at anyway, But if you would like to experiment PM and i'd tell you how i exactly did it if your a careful patiance person im sure you'd get away with it

ohhh yeah loving that blacked out climate control, wished i seen that earlier..................... would have gave me a better idea, But im a white fan, so ehhhhh im not about to take everything apart now and try. ohhh yeah can you ask if your guy can do somthing with the clock???? i don't think your liking your clock very much after you've got your climate control done? lol
but that inverted look is hot!

Last edited by samster; 04-12-08 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-12-08, 05:35 AM
d3fc0N_21
Driver

I was thinking of using lacquer thinner or nail polish remover on the shifter plate but I wasn't sure whats underneath the paint. I used nail polish remover to remove the amber paint on the gauge needles of my Celica to clear it out.

I totally agree, I hate that clock. On my Celica what I did was purchase blue film that they use for spot lights at a theater staging store and laid it over the clock. It did turn it to blue but it was very dim during the day.

I'm a white person too which eventually after the prototyping stages it will be white. Still contemplating though since the head unit is mostly blue I may just keep the LCD blue but it may be too much if I make the climate control screen blue also.

Go ahead and PM me how you cleared the shift plate and we'll see if I get the guts to experiment with it. I'll let you know if he can do anything about that hideous clock. I'm sooo tempted to just unplug the power to it

Quick Reply: DIY climate control LED