GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

A/C recharging kit- Does it work well?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 08:55 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts
Default A/C recharging kit- Does it work well?

I feel my AC isn't getting as cold as it use to, and the previous owner never got it recharge so I'm pretty sure by now, the R-134a is a bit empty in my system. Has anyone ever tried the A/C recharging kit from walmart/autozone/etc? They're only $25 or so.

Any input would be great. thanks!
1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 08-02-06, 09:11 AM
tonysofly
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

watch out, unless you know what you are doing. those recharge kits are pretty basic stuff. you need to know how much pressure is already in your system, if you put too much freon in there, it will blow hot as well. If you don't really know what you are doing, i'd say pay a lil extra for a professional to do it.
Old 08-02-06, 09:16 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those kits are only an oil charge. You must be certified to work on A/C systems, 134a and R12.

You may have a freon level problem but there could be more too, your condensor may be blocked so the system does not disipate the heat fully, fans not running properly. Maybe even a blockage in the evaporator.

That is one area I would not classify as a DIY.

-Bill
Old 08-02-06, 09:23 AM
GSteg
Rookie

I'm mechanically inclined so doing these A/C stuff isn't rocket scientist to me. Its just whether the kit works or not is my concern.

My condensor is free from debris. I'm pretty sure I've ran out of refrigerant because the previous owner used the AC basically everyday. I'm starting to use it everyday too to beat the heat

I'll just call around. If a shop can do it for aroudn that price, I might as well let them do it.

thanks for the response guys!

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Old 08-02-06, 10:01 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I'm mechanically inclined so doing these A/C stuff isn't rocket scientist to me. Its just whether the kit works or not is my concern.

My condensor is free from debris. I'm pretty sure I've ran out of refrigerant because the previous owner used the AC basically everyday. I'm starting to use it everyday too to beat the heat

I'll just call around. If a shop can do it for aroudn that price, I might as well let them do it.

thanks for the response guys!

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

First off...put your sig in the sig section....not in the body of your post.

Regarding re-filling a/c....easy job...just read the directions on those kits from Walmart. I did mines about 2 months ago.....before filling....use the gauge....find out where you're at.....if you need filling at all....mines was on the lower green section (OK).....so I filled it up with one of those half cans....when finished....it was still on the green section....but more closer to the yellow section (Warning).....i thought this was still ok since it was blowing cold...afterall...its still in the green section, right?

Well, after driving it a few weeks later (I drive a beater daily...so the GS only sees pavement on weekends).....it was blowing warm....when I got home that same day....I checked with the gauge again...and it was still on green (OK) section....but more towards the yellow (Warning) section than before.......so I released some R134a....initially...only air came out of the system....then I grabbed a rag cuz liquid R134a started to come out.....do this until it was around the middle of the green section....I guess I accidentally overfilled a bit.....blows very cold now....no problems since.

If you are DIYer....then this should be easy....stay around the middle of green (OK) section...and you will be fine....double check in a few days to see if you still in middle of green section.

Hope this helps.

Pete
Old 08-02-06, 10:07 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by PHML
First off...put your sig in the sig section....not in the body of your post.

thanks for the info! Turns out, a buddy of mine has hookups that costs $20 to refill by a mechanic. I guess I'll take it to the shop instead. Why leave the risk to me when someone else can sniff the stuff. jk

btw, that's my artificial sig because admin took my sig away. I have to copy and paste everytime. There is no rules that I know of that prevents me from doing so. Most people pass it on as my sig anyways, so there is no harm being done

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Old 08-02-06, 10:13 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just added a can to the SC this past weekend. It was pretty simple. You are just topping off the system and not really "handling" refridgerant.
Old 08-02-06, 12:31 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, after driving it a few weeks later (I drive a beater daily...so the GS only sees pavement on weekends).....it was blowing warm....when I got home that same day....I checked with the gauge again...and it was still on green (OK) section....but more towards the yellow (Warning) section than before.......so I released some R134a....initially...only air came out of the system....then I grabbed a rag cuz liquid R134a started to come out.....do this until it was around the middle of the green section....I guess I accidentally overfilled a bit.....blows very cold now....no problems since.
Pete, how did you purge your system to let some of the R134a out? I tried one of these kits on my Cherokee yesterday, and it is blowing hot. I think I may have gotten too close to the warning line.