GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help!!!! Pinging at hard acceleration above 4,000 RPM!! (2001 GS430)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-06, 06:46 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by V8Lexus
. you talk about it being a lexus(toyota) ecu as if its some impossible to solve rubik's cube. if you have the knowhow and the tools its not that difficult.
well, who has done it? you say you can, but have you? I have never heard of one person reprogramming a GS ecu more aggressively, never.
Old 09-08-06, 07:48 AM
LEXUSGS430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that if it can be done, then V8 owes us all a free ECU tuning session.....LOL You know what I say......PROVE IT!
Old 09-08-06, 11:40 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Something I find a bit odd though. What I was saying with the whole market thing. I wonder why nobody has cracked the IS300 ecu yet. I know the aftermarket on that car is HUGE compared to ours. I mean there are probably more modded IS300's than Supras. Then again that car might not be as interesting since the IS300 didn't come with a 2JZ-GTE from the factory

Main point being...since the GS300 and IS300 are so similar, hopefully the same method can be used on the GS3 once the IS3 code has been cracked.
Old 09-08-06, 11:43 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

think of it this way. what makes a lexus ecu different from the ecu in a twin turbo supra, porsche turbo, audi S4, honda S2000, acura nsx, etc. maybe a little software encoding and different style plugs on the back perhaps but its not as if its this black box of data that nobody can get into. its that the aftermarket isnt big enough to tune the ECU on a GS430 that someone would want to spend the $ to do the R&D on how to tune it.
V8Lexus: You are one of the main reasons why people on the internet forums get mislead by misinformation. Please take your theories back to wherever you pulled them out of. Before you start acting like you are God's gift to ECU programming, why don't you ask around first.

Find me a tuner in the US that can crack the LS, GS V8 ECU and I will pay you $1,000 for it. As was said before there are only two ways:
1) Piggyback ECU - not a great solution
2) Standalone EMS rewired for every electrical signal - ALMOST impossible. I say ALMOST because it is possible.

I repeat: NO ONE HAS CRACKED THE ECU code outside of a Lexus/Toyota dealership and it's not because there isn't a demand for it. How many freakin SRT intakes have been sold w/ a piggyback ECU? You don't think THEY would have just retuned the ECU and made bucks on it instead of going the piggyback ECU route?

If you don't believe me, go ahead and post a separate thread and ask about ECU tuning for our GS or LS 400, 430 see what kinds of answers you get...

Again, please step away from the crack pipe...I would have been harsher on you but everyone's entitled to a "rookie" mistake.
Old 09-08-06, 11:56 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Something I find a bit odd though. What I was saying with the whole market thing. I wonder why nobody has cracked the IS300 ecu yet. I know the aftermarket on that car is HUGE compared to ours. I mean there are probably more modded IS300's than Supras. Then again that car might not be as interesting since the IS300 didn't come with a 2JZ-GTE from the factory

Main point being...since the GS300 and IS300 are so similar, hopefully the same method can be used on the GS3 once the IS3 code has been cracked.
I think you just answered your own question...it's not market demand...it's that you just can't do it outside of an authorized Toyota/Lexus dealership. Toyota chose to close the ECU to aftermarket tuning. I have heard of Jun selling a reprogrammed ECU from Japan but no one I have heard has ever purchased one and that was FIVE years ago when it first came out so there is really no US solution as of now.

Maybe V8Lexus will be the first...since it only takes a "laptop and a computer hacker"...
Old 09-09-06, 12:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

in fact, some companies here in the US already spent the money and tried to crack the v8 ecu and they failed. yes, failed, they couldn't do it, not able to get anything out of it. if it's all that simple, i am sitting here waiting
Old 09-09-06, 04:48 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BLiu
V8Lexus: You are one of the main reasons why people on the internet forums get mislead by misinformation. Please take your theories back to wherever you pulled them out of. Before you start acting like you are God's gift to ECU programming, why don't you ask around first.

THANK YOU! You can just tell this guy(V8lexus) talks out his a$$ and has no clue.

Originally Posted by rominl
in fact, some companies here in the US already spent the money and tried to crack the v8 ecu and they failed. yes, failed, they couldn't do it, not able to get anything out of it. if it's all that simple, i am sitting here waiting
once again, the mod with over 40k posts says you are WRONG.
Old 09-09-06, 01:00 PM
V8Lexus
Rookie

the main factor is, the $ it costs to retune the stock GS ecu can be spent on a completely seperate ecu(I.E. aem ems, etc.). if i didnt have a job and my bills were paid i'd gladly sit at my computer and hack the GS V8 ecu until i cracked it. its simply getting access to it even if i have to bribe a few high level toyota techs to give me the passcodes(if they are required). SOMEONE has the key to it and i guarantee you they have a price its just that nobody has bothered to exhaust all available routes.
Old 09-09-06, 01:03 PM
V8Lexus
Rookie

P.S. not if but WHEN i manage to gain access to it i guarantee you it wont be free for the rest of you nonbelievers :-D. you show me an ecu you say cant be hacked and i show you SOMEONE that knows how to do it because it was programmed by someone to begin with and SOMEONE knows how to fix it if it fails. not to mention they wouldnt build/program an ecu and then not be able to diagnose problems inside either the software(debugging) or the hardware(chipsets). its just that you guys are frustrated that nobody has done it yet. its only a matter of time. besides as the newer GS's come out, eventually someone will decide to hack it and make some money by selling the tools and knowhow to someone else and from there it will keep spreading until we're all driving around in tuned GS's.
Old 09-09-06, 02:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i am not going to argue with you, but i think you are mistaking something (at least against my point). i never ever said the ecu can't be hacked, but i said everyone who attempted, failed.

what i am implying is that the ecu setup on the car is very sophisticated that no one so far can hack it. i am sure if there is someone which is 1) knowledeagle enough, 2) has too much time, 3) do nothing but sit there to hack the ecu, 4) time is never an issue, then yes, one day it will be hacked.

however, what's the point? by then probably all cars out there will have more power already anyway, from factory.

arguing whether this could be done is absolutely pointless. it's just like arguing that computer can't get faster, that's a false statement. it is and it will get faster. and ths is ecu. if antivirus company can continue to develop software to fight virus, that means hackers can continue to find holes to spread virus. that's simple fact, no need to reinvent the wheels.

so instead of talking about "hyperthetical" cases, why not just stick to reality and look at what we have NOW? car was out since 98, that's whopping 8 yrs and counting, but NOTHING is out there. it would be a very wrong assumption to say not a lot of people haven't tried to hack the ecu. so all i was stating is that NO ONE THUS FAR has cracked it, zip. we don't need to talk about future, let's talk about now or the previous 8 yrs.
Old 09-09-06, 02:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

and just for the kick of it even if one day such software "upgrade" comes out, and for whatever reason i am still keeping my car, i still don't think i will get the ecu at all.

coz' i can just go to dealership and get a car that can easily be faster than the "tuned" gs
Old 09-09-06, 10:36 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

eventually someone will decide to hack it and make some money by selling the tools and knowhow to someone else and from there it will keep spreading until we're all driving around in tuned GS's.
Do you realize no company out there has the mapping to Toyota/Lexus ECU's other than Toyota's in house engineering teams at TRD USA, TRD Japan & TOM's. If Toyota/Lexus doesn't even give access to reputable aftermarket tuning companies i.e. HKS, AEM, Blitz, Tanabe and etc, what makes you think an ordinary joe schmoe with money will get it? Unfortunately Toyota/Lexus vehicles aren't easy to mod like Hondas and Acuras.

The 2nd Gen GS has been out since late 1997 as a 1998 model. It's been about 8 years now and no one has successfully hacked a Toyota/Lexus ECU. And this goes for a majority of other Toyota and Lexus models, not just the GS.
Old 09-10-06, 01:21 AM
V8Lexus
Rookie

flipside, you're making assumptions again. one could easily assume since nobody has done it yet that it cannot be done. there are many technological advances that took a while to complete MUCH longer than 10 years. with the tools and determination someone could have done this in less than 6 months. but the fact is the people that own these cars, you, me, rominl, tunedrx, etc. simply have to work to pay for the cars and we dont have the luxury of sitting around to the wee hours of the morning trying to crack an ecu that wont benefit us all that much anyway. i know if i could quit my job and focus only on cracking it i could, and once i could do that, the stock ecu can only do SO much. so its more feasible to just buy aftermarket engine management instead that can do anything the toyota/lexus ecu can and more. my point still stands that it CAN be done. just because it hasnt doesnt make it impossible.
Old 09-10-06, 01:26 AM
V8Lexus
Rookie

i hope you realize how much easier it is to program a piggyback ecu that splices inbetween wires than it does to crack an ecu. Mo might not have even tried to crack the stock ecu since he didnt think it would be a financially wise decision. it is MUCH easier to look at a pin out chart and follow wiring diagrams and program an ecu that changes signals than it is to actually hack the stock ECU, and then he'd have to either manufacture and sell a controller like what Superchips did OR he'd have to have lexus owners send in their ecu's for reflashes like what some companies do. and the 3rd option which is probably the MOST costly is to develop software and a special cable that allows people with a PDA to plug into the diagnostic port and upload the software themselves in which case he would have to do hours of debugging to make sure that even the most simple minded of GS owners could upload and reflash their ECU from home without messing it up. Cobb Tuning did this for Subarus because the aftermarket is there. i guarantee you there at least twice as many subaru owners that want this software bad enough than there are GS owners. more than half of the GS owners arent even the slightest bit interested in modding their car.
Old 09-10-06, 01:30 AM
V8Lexus
Rookie

and last but not least, dont try to sit there and tell me a subaru ecu is so primitive compared to a lexus ecu, the 2JZ-GE in the 98+ GS300 hasnt changed a whole lot compared to the 1992 2JZ-GE in the SC300. the 430/400 ecus are maybe marginally more difficult to program but not entirely since the 90 LS400 has close to the same engine/specs as the 98+ GS400. and since lexus managed to keep the same horsepower while upping the displacement to 4.3 liters instead of 4.0 means that they probably didnt have to do a whole lot of tuning. now the ECU on the 2RF-GSE(3.5 v6 in the IS350 and GS350) ecu im sure its a LOT more advanced since it has to drive 16 injectors i believe? 8 in the manifold and 8 direct injection injectors? either way that ECU i believe is probably a LOT more difficult to crack but the 400/430 ECUs? i wouldnt think they are nearly as difficult as you guys are making it sound.

Quick Reply: Help!!!! Pinging at hard acceleration above 4,000 RPM!! (2001 GS430)