GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

SupraTT Brake Upgrade: Question for those who have it...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-01, 11:13 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I might have come across some used Supra TT calipars and rotors(not used) and was wondering if the stock GS brake lines connect directly to them. I heard talk concerning this. Was wondering if I could do the Calipar and Rotor upgrade without swapping out the brake lines...

Brent
Old 08-18-01, 04:43 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not just get the TRD lines from Steve...they're only a couple hundred bucks...it'll really help improve the feel of your brakes!
Old 08-18-01, 01:39 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Brent,
They will fit fine, just make sure you use new washers. The crush washers that are on the car now may not give a complete seal when you put on the new/old calipers. The stock brake lines will not line up directly as on the stock caliper, but it will fit, just make sure when you position it, there isn't much tension. If you want, I can take a picture of mine and send it to you.

aloha ricky
Old 08-18-01, 02:28 PM
RacingAristo

I've called Island Motorsports at Buena Park. They are not familiar with Lexus GS so they wouldn't install those SupraTT for me. Then they referred me to some place at Gardena where I got a quote for $2800! Does anyone know a shop where they can install this brake package for a reasonable price?

p.s. the shop will need to shave off the calipers a little cuz they won't fit in my rims.

Thank you very much.
Old 08-19-01, 11:47 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by RacingAristo
I've called Island Motorsports at Buena Park. They are not familiar with Lexus GS so they wouldn't install those SupraTT for me. Then they referred me to some place at Gardena where I got a quote for $2800! Does anyone know a shop where they can install this brake package for a reasonable price?

p.s. the shop will need to shave off the calipers a little cuz they won't fit in my rims.

Thank you very much.
RA why don't you try Todd@TMEngineering. You've been there before and he does good work. Ask him for a quote - I am sure you won't be disappointed...

Brent
Old 08-19-01, 11:57 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you very much.
WOOO!!!! That is rediculous, some shops just throw out prices that are from who knows where.....Next Sat. Im getting the L-tunes shocks and SupraTT brakes installed for a ttl. of $250.....Keep looking, you shouldnt pay more than $200 for just a front brake swap...I would think even that is bit much.....Tiny
Old 08-20-01, 01:07 AM
RacingAristo

The reason I'm only looking for a brake specialized shop is that the calipers need to be shaved in order to fit inside my 18" rims as JacobT mentioned before. I will pick up my SupraTT brake kit tomorrow (monday) from Steve and see what he can offer to help. So far I'm pleased by Todd's work. Basically he did all the suspension installation for me.

tinygs,

Thanks for your info. I will keep looking.
Old 08-20-01, 07:55 AM
JacobT

I got mine SupraTT brake installed for $130( 2 hour labor ). They even shaved the calipers for me (the shaving part took them 2 hours to do it)

I just replaced my rotors and pads, it should be at most 2 hours of labor.
Old 08-20-01, 08:22 AM
RacingAristo

JacobT,

Please check your PM.
Old 08-20-01, 11:12 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

The reason I'm only looking for a brake specialized shop is that the calipers need to be shaved in order to fit inside my 18" rims as JacobT mentioned before. I will pick up my SupraTT brake kit tomorrow (monday) from Steve and see what he can offer to help. So far I'm pleased by Todd's work. Basically he did all the suspension installation for me.

tinygs,

Thanks for your info. I will keep looking.
RA: Todd specializes in everything Lexus related...
He did my 60K service for like 300 bucks or so...including all factory OEM Lexus parts...Compare that to any dealer...

Brent
Old 08-20-01, 12:23 PM
JacobT

JacobT,

Please check your PM.
Dennis,

The PM is currently down now so I answer your questions here.

If I remember right, you'll need to shave about 1/8" from the surface.
It costed me $130(2 hour labor) to install both front brakes. There're only 2 screws you need to remove to get the caliper off. It's really easy. Shaving will take you more time than installation.
Old 08-20-01, 12:26 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by JacobT

Dennis,

The PM is currently down now so I answer your questions here.

If I remember right, you'll need to shave about 1/8" from the surface.
It costed me $130(2 hour labor) to install both front brakes. There're only 2 screws you need to remove to get the caliper off. It's really easy. Shaving will take you more time than installation.
How about bleeding - straight forward process???

Brent
Old 08-20-01, 01:01 PM
RacingAristo

I just came back from Carson Toyota. After talking to Steve, I'm not so sure about the brake upgrade. He is a very honest guy and told me that if he were me, he wouldn't shave the calipers for the safety reason. I also asked Todd and he also has the same concern. What am I gonna do?
Old 08-20-01, 01:13 PM
JacobT

Dennis,

Are your RH C5 on 44mm offset? If that's the case the you have no choice but either shave the calipers or use spacers.

I just came back from Dallas meet, I ran my car with some high speed racing and stopping in a vacant mall parking lot. I had no problem at all. I've talked with some Supra guys and they told me shaving is common in SupraTT with after market wheels.
Old 08-20-01, 01:49 PM
RacingAristo

Jacob,

I'm thinking to take my car to Laguna Seca this Dec and don't want anything goes wrong, including my car parts. If shaving is truly unharm and very common, how come shops here at Los Angeles aren't willing to do so and even Steve told me not to do it? Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Dennis

Quick Reply: SupraTT Brake Upgrade: Question for those who have it...