GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Driving School

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-01, 04:47 PM
CJIMGO
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have had my 2001 GS430 for a couple of weeks..had a 2000 C5 Targa Coupe prior. This is a hot little machine and I'm starting on the road with aftermarket mods.
However, before I get myself into trouble, does anyone have any info on LEXUS-specific driving schools on the east coast ala Bragg-Smith for the Vette out west. Appreciate any info..PS the 430 is Burnished gold and I'm starting with the L tuned suspension mods to be followed by the RMM exhaust and the cold air kit( as soon as they produce it--supposedly this summer sometime). Thanks for any info.
Old 06-27-01, 05:41 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim,

Welcome to ClubLexus.

I do not know of any Lexus specific driving schools, but I think it's a great idea.

There are a few of us who track our Lexus. We sometime post driving events in the Team ClubLexus forum section.

What type of format is the vette school you mentioned? Do they have a website?
Old 06-27-01, 06:12 PM
whitediamond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best mod

Congrats on your purchase. You bring up an important issue that many miss and that is a driving school. So much can be learned from such as school. I am not aware of a Lexus specific school however many will allow you to run your own car on the track. This way your not going from a track car to yours. I am certainly goingto take one this summer.
As far as that cold air intake from RMM-many here have the SwiftRacing.com Cold Air intake and are very happy with it. The difference being that it comes with a ECU for additional fuel whereas the RMM kit does not. Something in the order of 30hp.
Best of luck with your car and sorry to hear to got rid of the C5.
Old 06-27-01, 06:17 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that this is the next thing Lexus needs to do......provide a driving/racing school specifically for Lexus owners. I know when my dads friend got his M5, he got a free pass to go to BMW's school. However, for M5 owners, BMW offers a school just for them....no M3's, 5 series, etc. When he came back he said it was just a bunch of old guys going through a midlife crisis (including him) . I am planning on going to Skip Barber driving school next summer. If anyone's interested, mabye we could plan to hook up down there.
Old 06-28-01, 05:01 AM
CJIMGO
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bragg-Smith is for Vettes and Camaros and web site is www.BRAGGSMITH.com. I've done a lot of searching on the web this am and the best available looks like Skip Barber, plus they do some tng at Sebring which is right close. Read about the BMW tng course in S. Carolina plant and wish Lexus would do something similar for their higher performance machines..it's one thing to have a hot car but it's an entirely different thing to have a hot car and know how to use it effectively and safely..I believe Lexus is missing a bet here. After reading some of the posts on other threads about killing "stangs, etc...I'd be kinds leery about venturing out on the freeways in california..a good case in point is the recent incident in NY between a Lambo and a C5 Vette road racing and taking out a schoolbus and a volvo, plus the life of the Lambo driver.