GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone ever put their ride in a car show?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-01, 07:39 PM
Dazz5627
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is this import car show coming to town in a few months. I think it would be cool if i put my car in the show. I have never done this before. So what steps do I need to take to get my baby in there..????

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-26-01, 12:30 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, are you putting your car in the show to compete or just to show? Either way, you have pay an entrance fee ($40 or so)...that's pretty much all you really need to do...but if you want to win something, you have figure out what division you're competing...depending on the size of the show and the number of people that show up with car, you might be able to enter a Lexus specific category...if there isn't enough Lexus cars to compete, they'll usually have a Luxury Car category.

Also, if you want win, you should have your car detail 1 day before the event's setup date, then go there with a FULL detailing kit (wax, polishes, clothes, etc., etc.)...get your car positioned and make it look PERFECT. Interior and engine also count so make sure they look good...and cleaning your undercarriage is good idea too...

That's the basics...as you get more into, there are little tricks you can do but the more "trick" or "OG" you can make your ride, the better chance it has of winning...

For example, if you have two GS's that are set up exactly the same way but one of them has a Japanese right-hand conversion done to it, I can guarantee that the JDM version will win.

At some shows, fake wheels get point's off (nothing you'd have to worry about of course!)...

Ans since you have stereo, make sure your install is CLEAN. Fit should be top-notch, no loose wire or odd-fitting tweeters, etc...

w/o the rims, I don't think I'd bother entering the car into a show...stock looking cars aren't that exciting at a carshow where you're surrounded by highly modified cars...

Also, engine work and suspension work are big pluses...

Last edited by Manaray; 06-26-01 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-26-01, 05:23 AM
Dazz5627
Driver

Originally posted by manaray
First off, are you putting your car in the show to compete or just to show? Either way, you have pay an entrance fee ($40 or so)...that's pretty much all you really need to do...but if you want to win something, you have figure out what division you're competing...depending on the size of the show and the number of people that show up with car, you might be able to enter a Lexus specific category...if there isn't enough Lexus cars to compete, they'll usually have a Luxury Car category.

Also, if you want win, you should have your car detail 1 day before the event's setup date, then go there with a FULL detailing kit (wax, polishes, clothes, etc., etc.)...get your car positioned and make it look PERFECT. Interior and engine also count so make sure they look good...and cleaning your undercarriage is good idea too...

That's the basics...as you get more into, there are little tricks you can do but the more "trick" or "OG" you can make your ride, the better chance it has of winning...

For example, if you have two GS's that are set up exactly the same way but one of them has a Japanese right-hand conversion done to it, I can guarantee that the JDM version will win.

At some shows, fake wheels get point's off (nothing you'd have to worry about of course!)...

Ans since you have stereo, make sure your install is CLEAN. Fit should be top-notch, no loose wire or odd-fitting tweeters, etc...

w/o the rims, I don't think I'd bother entering the car into a show...stock looking cars aren't that exciting at a carshow where you're surrounded by highly modified cars...

Also, engine work and suspension work are big pluses...
Thanks dude... That really helped me out a lot. I mainly want to put it in for show. Just to see how tight my car really is..hehe...The show is in Sept. and I will take many pictures.....

Thanks again....
Old 06-26-01, 08:54 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

I think that winning one of those is not all about how unique or how clean your car is...it's WHO you know that's most important...just like the reality in the biz world...I hope that didn't encourage your from participating..these are just facts from the insiders.
Old 06-26-01, 11:54 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

That's true in some cases, but if you come in with a TIGHT *** ride, I'd bet that you'd have a pretty good chance of winning. Besides, the "Lexus" and/or "Luxury" category isn't has bad as the Honda/Acura side (as far as needing to "know" people)

Before you start entering, I would go to a few shows first and check out what's out there...I don't know about your area, but out here, there's a damn car show every other week or so it seems!
Old 06-26-01, 12:28 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Default ye

keep the engine cleans like mine or cleaner
Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever put their ride in a car show?-p1010031.jpg  
Old 06-26-01, 11:14 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Banana - your engine bay looks very nice! Nice and clean. I wish I someone would make a carbon fiber engine cover for the GS430 that sits low enough to clear the TRD STB...

Hmmm, maybe I'll make my own...you know what's missing from that engine bay....a supercharger