GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

SLOW site??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-01, 08:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,191 Likes on 1,423 Posts

I know there's a section for 'site suggestions' but thought I'd post here to see what regulars think...

This site seems to be getting REEEEAAAAALLLLLYYY S---L---O---W.

So much so it's almost become not worth my time to wait and wait and wait.

I guess that's a testament to its popularity, but it's a shame it's so slow a lot of time.
Old 06-24-01, 09:30 PM
whitediamond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yeap

Very slow. Sometimes I just go to another site. I think its based on a home server which would explain the very long delays.
Old 06-25-01, 08:15 AM
MrHorse
Pole Position

Default Slow site response..

There are MANY things you can do to speed up this forum.

First off, get rid of all of those huge signature photos. Sometimes I see 5, 6, 10, 15 huge GS4 photos attached to each messge signature. Let's put a stop to this. It's a major drain on web resources.

Another thing is that instead of posting big photos inside messages, you post LINKS to another location where the images are stored at. A server on a separate network perhaps?

Upgrade hardware - clustering database servers and load balancing web servers would tremendously speed up access with raw processing power.

Upgrade the data pipe - if the site is sitting on a T1, it must be taking serious abuse. Either up that to a DS3 or host the site at a top ISP that has redundant OC links.

These items are just general points to keep in mind. I don't know the specifics of this site, bandwidth, hardware, traffic, # of hits and etc., to be able to effectively advise on how to speed up site access. If anyone (webmaster, owner) of the forum would like to discuss these issues, I'd be happy to assist. In case you're worried about my credentials, i'm a webmaster of a Fortune 500 company, with a web server farm of 450 servers that receives millions of hits per day.

Cheers.
Old 06-25-01, 09:07 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good point mr horse but the pic i have is just a picture that is from another site linked, not uploaded on the clublexus server, so its all about how your computer loads the page. i think the reason the site is sometimes slow is because so many people are trying to accessthe site at once and there isn't enough bandwidth.
Old 06-25-01, 04:38 PM
mkilty
Lead Lap

Default Re: Slow site response..

Originally posted by MrHorse
There are MANY things you can do to speed up this forum.

First off, get rid of all of those huge signature photos. Sometimes I see 5, 6, 10, 15 huge GS4 photos attached to each messge signature. Let's put a stop to this. It's a major drain on web resources.

Another thing is that instead of posting big photos inside messages, you post LINKS to another location where the images are stored at. A server on a separate network perhaps?

Upgrade hardware - clustering database servers and load balancing web servers would tremendously speed up access with raw processing power.

Upgrade the data pipe - if the site is sitting on a T1, it must be taking serious abuse. Either up that to a DS3 or host the site at a top ISP that has redundant OC links.

These items are just general points to keep in mind. I don't know the specifics of this site, bandwidth, hardware, traffic, # of hits and etc., to be able to effectively advise on how to speed up site access. If anyone (webmaster, owner) of the forum would like to discuss these issues, I'd be happy to assist. In case you're worried about my credentials, i'm a webmaster of a Fortune 500 company, with a web server farm of 450 servers that receives millions of hits per day.

Cheers.
Thanks for your help. Everything you've said in your general points is correct.

As this is just a virtual server you can wring only so much performance from it. I think they will be a improvement now as httpd keep alives were on and are now turned off bring down load.

How good are you with MySql and PHP? There is where I need some help. I have a dedicated FreeBsd box running Apache, MySql and PHP 4.05 that I need help configuring on.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Old 06-25-01, 04:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Slow site response..

Originally posted by MrHorse
get rid of all of those huge signature photos. Sometimes I see 5, 6, 10, 15 huge GS4 photos attached to each messge signature. Let's put a stop to this. It's a major drain on web resources.
Actually that's not correct. As Sasha pointed out, the signature pictures MUST come from another web site (that's the only way you can do it), so there's actually NO burden on ClubLexus.

instead of posting big photos inside messages, you post LINKS to another location where the images are stored at. A server on a separate network perhaps?
That would help, yes. But ClubLexus (aka Michael) shouldn't have to supply this extra server - people can put pictures on the web in a myriad of places.

Er, yeah, but who's going to pay for all that? In case you hadn't noticed, this site isn't teaming with banner ads and merchandising, so Michael pays for this site himself and with small donations from members (hopefully if you can, you will send one in via paypal). It would be great if he did sell things through the site, and try to drum up revenue, but he's got another full time job, and as I'm sure you know as a web master, it takes a lot of work to run an e-commerce site.

Anyway, glad we're having the conversation anyway...
Old 06-25-01, 04:49 PM
mkilty
Lead Lap

Thanks.....

Well the site is looking like it is much faster after some tuning. I am thinking that this should work until we move to the dedicated box.

Old 06-25-01, 05:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by mkilty
Well the site is looking like it is much faster after some tuning. I am thinking that this should work until we move to the dedicated box.
Thanks very much Michael... you da man!
Old 06-25-01, 07:20 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up Great Site !

If it wasn't for this site, WE ALL WOULD BE LOST !:eek:
Old 06-25-01, 07:33 PM
RacingAristo

Even though your sig is from other servers, bear in mind that some people are still using dial-up, like me at home.
Old 06-25-01, 07:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by RacingAristo
Even though your sig is from other servers, bear in mind that some people are still using dial-up, like me at home.
My image is 11K, which should take about 3 seconds to download with a 56K modem, and then only the first time since it will be cached on your computer.

If you really object, I'll remove it. Don't want to be a burden.

Old 06-25-01, 09:06 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes mike, without clublexus we would be lost! i would have no idea about all these new mods and products available!!
Old 06-25-01, 11:47 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

First, thank you Michael. All your hard work is appreciated.

Second, if there is a way that absolutely DOES NOT burden the server, can instructions on how to put peoples signature be put in the FAQ? Maybe this will try to get everyone that already has a signature to convert and people that don't have one (like me) will know how to do it the right way.

Third, when this site gets moved to a dedicated box will it be like when you changed formats back in the spring?? DAMN. I just got to Pole Position

Fourth, not to sound REALLY ignorant, but what would be a reasonable donation?
Old 06-26-01, 12:04 AM
mkilty
Lead Lap

Originally posted by zushwa
First, thank you Michael. All your hard work is appreciated.

Second, if there is a way that absolutely DOES NOT burden the server, can instructions on how to put peoples signature be put in the FAQ? Maybe this will try to get everyone that already has a signature to convert and people that don't have one (like me) will know how to do it the right way.

Third, when this site gets moved to a dedicated box will it be like when you changed formats back in the spring?? DAMN. I just got to Pole Position

Fourth, not to sound REALLY ignorant, but what would be a reasonable donation?
First: Thanks....

Second: Good idea...Will work on it.

Third: When we move to the new box the forum and database moves together so nothing changes.....

Fourth: The winning lottery ticket in San Jose.....Worth 141+ million dollars.....

Old 06-26-01, 07:53 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default Slow site response..

Originally posted by bitkahuna
...so Michael pays for this site himself and with small donations from members (hopefully if you can, you will send one in via paypal
Anyway, glad we're having the conversation anyway...
Actually, I was looking for the PayPal logo a few weeks ago to make a donation and I can't find it. I sent an e-mail to Michael about it and I didn't receive an answer.

Is it hiding?

Michael, did you remove it?

Quick Reply: SLOW site??