GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cost of prep'ing, painting, installing bodykit

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-05, 11:03 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had many body kits on many different cars, I deal with the same shop all the time and I have a great relationship with the owner.......all of that being said, I have never paid less than $800 for prepping, painting, and installing a full body kit. I usually end up paying between 1000-1500 to get it done, this is assuming that you buy a "real" kit that does not need an assload of prepping.

If your getting quoted less than that, dont expect a great job on it.

By the way, most reputable shops wont even paint just the kit......to do it right there needs to be some blending involved with the other panels of the car....that is if you want it to match.
Old 02-21-05, 12:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
I have had many body kits on many different cars, I deal with the same shop all the time and I have a great relationship with the owner.......all of that being said, I have never paid less than $800 for prepping, painting, and installing a full body kit. I usually end up paying between 1000-1500 to get it done, this is assuming that you buy a "real" kit that does not need an assload of prepping.

If your getting quoted less than that, dont expect a great job on it.

By the way, most reputable shops wont even paint just the kit......to do it right there needs to be some blending involved with the other panels of the car....that is if you want it to match.
very true, sometimes they do want to blend the panels to match the color. some i know some shops now they have some advanced photo taking technology that uses computer to match up the color the best tehy can. that's pretty darn accurate
Old 02-21-05, 01:39 PM
BLu_Gs3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats up fellas, just curious if anyone would have an idea of an estimated figure to install the TTE lip, L-tuned sides ( painted already), and L-sportsline rear? Also i think the whole kit is urethane material. I need to know cause i hopped on that group buy for the lip a couple of weeks ago and it should be here in a week or so. Im thinking it shouldnt be much cause the lip is just an add-on and gotta get painted, the sides is painted and an add-on also, its just the rear thats gotta be replaced and painted. I figure it would cost less due to the fact of less labor?? oh yea, im from the NYC area, live in the bronx but my GS stays in queens in my parents garage cause i aint got no garage loL. So if anyone out there got a similiar set up your help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Old 02-21-05, 02:21 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blu, its hard to give a $ amount to get what you want done. Body shops all differ in pricing and what they will and wont do. I have heard that the Lsportline stuff is less than stellar in regards to fitment so the rear bumper may be a little more to prep paint and install than you expect. The lip should be pretty straight forward and shouldnt be too much and the side skirts are painted already. The only problem with the side skirts is that it is painted the factory color. After sitting in the sun and going through the daily hardships a car goes through the paint is not the exact color as when it left the showroom so the sideskirts may need to be matched to your car. Also keep in mind that the $ amount alone does not guarantee that you will get a great job. I bought a genuine win kit and the guy quoted me $1600 to paint and install. I thought it was a good deal and knew that the win kit would fit like a glove. It did but his paint job was ****. It didnt match well and he did very little prep work so the rear spoiler was kinda rough on the edges. Anyone who has had the win rear knows how it is before prep. Needless to say I had to sue him to get SOME of my money back for the atrocious job he did. I found a body shop through other people and looked at a lot of their work before I would let them touch my car and I am glad that I did. Plus he charges 25% less than most other good body shops in my area. I suggest you ask some NY people where they go and if they get a good job. Sorry for the long post but I have seen so many ****ty jobs when it comes to body shops. There are so many shops that say they can do it but far fewer that will actually get you good results. Be careful and good luck.

Rich
Old 02-21-05, 05:03 PM
phunkyGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BLu_Gs3
whats up fellas, just curious if anyone would have an idea of an estimated figure to install the TTE lip, L-tuned sides ( painted already), and L-sportsline rear? Also i think the whole kit is urethane material. I need to know cause i hopped on that group buy for the lip a couple of weeks ago and it should be here in a week or so. Im thinking it shouldnt be much cause the lip is just an add-on and gotta get painted, the sides is painted and an add-on also, its just the rear thats gotta be replaced and painted. I figure it would cost less due to the fact of less labor?? oh yea, im from the NYC area, live in the bronx but my GS stays in queens in my parents garage cause i aint got no garage loL. So if anyone out there got a similiar set up your help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Hey, Blu...I am getting estimates for the same set-up, but with the addition of a roof spoiler. I've only gotten one estimate back so far and it was $1800, but he needs pics of the kit to quote more accurately. Seems awfully high, but the shop seems to be highly reputable and does some amazing custom work. I'll let you know when I get some more feedback from the other shops.
Old 02-21-05, 08:50 PM
BLu_Gs3
Driver

GS300RICH, PHUNKYGS, appreciate the feedback. I just thought bout my color too . . i heard it was more pricey than other colors. Seems like im screwed
Old 02-22-05, 09:09 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

very true, sometimes they do want to blend the panels to match the color. some i know some shops now they have some advanced photo taking technology that uses computer to match up the color the best tehy can. that's pretty darn accurate

This is very true......my shop has recently picked this up since my last body kit paint job. This camera runs something like 12 grand, it takes a digital pic of the factory paint on the car, then matches it up, downloads it into the mixer....and presto....you have matching paint. I hear its pretty damn precise on its matching skills too.

Alot of this rides on the color of the car as well. For instance a black car is easy to match, a silver car is extremely hard to match......go figure, I go fromt he easy color to the hard color with the switching of my cars!!

I will find out how good the new camera system works in the very near future.
Old 02-23-05, 12:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
This is very true......my shop has recently picked this up since my last body kit paint job. This camera runs something like 12 grand, it takes a digital pic of the factory paint on the car, then matches it up, downloads it into the mixer....and presto....you have matching paint. I hear its pretty damn precise on its matching skills too.

Alot of this rides on the color of the car as well. For instance a black car is easy to match, a silver car is extremely hard to match......go figure, I go fromt he easy color to the hard color with the switching of my cars!!

I will find out how good the new camera system works in the very near future.
yup, i agree. silver and white they aer so hard to match, especially if you get any kind of pearl in it

i think the camera technology is good, but the problem is that the color depth. sometimes after painting couple coats of the paint followed by whatever coats of clear coat, the color "changes" a bit. now that is all up to the painter i think