GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

sunroof shade rattle fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 01:30 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

man i need to do this lol... putting a folded paper in between my shades aint gonna cut it no more haha
Old 12-13-10, 10:53 PM
KurtK
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry to rethread but...

After several years of shutting & openning the sunroof slide cover to try to expell the nagging rattle issue I tried the famous Henry fix and darn if it didn't work!! I used a old mouse pad cut out a quarter/half dollar sized piece then cut that in half and wedged one on each side. The lining came down easy as promised, just 2 velcrow attachments on each side so you can't screw up or break anything. Then just at the very front of the rail track between the top sliding sunroof cover and the railing, you jam in the foam piece. One on each side at the very front. The cover closes about 98-99% now , doen't rattle, looks closed, closes and opens fine- foam doesn't come out and best of all doesn't rattle/ click. Been 3 days now
Old 10-11-11, 02:21 PM
FstrThnYou
Driver School Candidate

Thank GOD!!! that rattle drives me CRAZY. Same thing in my car...any time I open the slider and vent the roof the slider would work its way forward and start rattling. It's fine with the radio on, but with the radio off it's all I can bring myself to hear. Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-11-11, 02:37 PM
PrLWhtGS3
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

good info ... thanks will do this asap
Old 10-11-11, 03:16 PM
pilotgsb
Driver

allot of people had this problem i guess i thought i was the only one but thanx for the fix!
Old 09-17-12, 01:31 PM
jmdettmer
Driver School Candidate

Ive been having this problem in my lexus...i'm def gonna give this one a try.
Old 01-07-13, 09:07 PM
SBM IS3OO
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bringing this one from the dead. I am growing tired of shutting my sunroof shade tightly every time I heard the noise so I'm also going to give this a try.
Old 12-27-13, 01:29 AM
racersky
Pole Position

Gonna try this on the weekend
Old 12-27-13, 09:05 AM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only rattle present in my GS. I was going to secure the shade with a tiny bit of velcro on each corner but this will work better.
Old 09-28-14, 10:55 PM
TimberJon
Rookie

Heya guys. It looks like I'm a few years late here... but recently bought a 2GS3 and got the mad ticking same as everyone else! Being half engineer I had the same idea as E-man, and he is on the money to shim it with something solid. The foam / felt idea likely worked because you were increasing the pressure on the sunroof slide so that it would not pull back and get loose when you accelerate, hit bumps, etc.

What came to mind first was something that wouldn't move or tear up the fabric of the cover. polyethylene. I'm sourcing some this week along with some ultra thin double-sided tape and I'm going to taper and wet-sand a thin strip to mount in the rail so that it will pinch the cover harder. I believe I'll need to mount a pair as far back as possible, and possibly also near the front so that it will be held fast and not move.

I've already figured out how to prep the double-sided tape so that I / we can shove the shim between the cover and rail without the adhesive being exposed, then do a perpendicular peel of the seal strip so that the adhesive will be exposed in place. I tried closed-cell foam but it just bit into the cover and got rolled, no matter the thickness so it has to slide freely but also press upwards.

I'll add pics and DIY info if it works and offer to ship them as well for S&H and maybe a buck for the mats. We'll see.
Old 10-13-14, 10:35 AM
TimberJon
Rookie

Default Bad news Good news

Bad News: So my poly rail spacer didn't work so good. I left the height at 1/8" and when I inserted it into the rail under the slide cover it was too tight to allow the plastic back of the adhesive strip to roll and peel out. I can improve that by pre-working it or attempting a sharper angle but it tore out at 90° and it was too darn hot in the car to keep going so I gave up on it.

Good News: I got rid of the ticking sound. I was getting fed up at poking the cover so I turned off the radio and listened and it sounds like it was coming from the rear area of the cover, passenger side. Instead of poking it, I pressed on the headliner and I think I found one of those lock-patches like the ones under the side of the rail. I pressed up and heard something pop, but it didn't feel/sound like the patch re-engaged. So I stuck a few fingers between the slide and the headliner and felt around. At first I popped the headliner down to see how much it would move or if I would disengage the contact patch but it didn't do anything. While feeling around in there I immediately felt steel so I gave it a few small tugs to make sure it was solid and then yanked hard. Nothing deformed but dammit if I can't hear the ticking anywhere now.

I used to get the ticking from the rear area of the slide on the drivers side too but so far I haven't heard a thing. I'll get back in a week to see if this really did anything. In the meantime My slide flies 1/4 back when I punch it so I'm still going to figure out how to get them in the rail to hold it closed.
Attached Thumbnails sunroof shade rattle fix-img_6126.jpg   sunroof shade rattle fix-img_6133.jpg  

Last edited by TimberJon; 10-13-14 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-14-14, 05:13 PM
D3V3LOP3R
Driver

This may or may not be the best post on this website...
Old 04-01-15, 08:12 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey guys, relatively new to the GS, but been on CL for a while. I had an issue with my sunroof area rattling over bumps and when I had my stereo turned up with a decent amount of bass. It took me about a week to find the culprit.

Finally I figured out it was the "air redirector" that pops up when the sunroof slides back. It wasn't being pushed down completely by the sunroof and had a little room to move. So I used a cheap and quick fix, cutting up a chair leg floor buffer (you could use any type of foam or other soft item) and I stuck it in the middle (there wasn't anything there before) and the two sides (there's already a rubber bumper on there but I just added this for extra padding).

Well it's been a week and I couldn't be more grateful that stupid rattle is gone. Just thought I'd pass on my experience, pics are below

Old 04-02-15, 06:37 AM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by lostape45
Hey guys, relatively new to the GS, but been on CL for a while. I had an issue with my sunroof area rattling over bumps and when I had my stereo turned up with a decent amount of bass. It took me about a week to find the culprit.

Finally I figured out it was the "air redirector" that pops up when the sunroof slides back. It wasn't being pushed down completely by the sunroof and had a little room to move. So I used a cheap and quick fix, cutting up a chair leg floor buffer (you could use any type of foam or other soft item) and I stuck it in the middle (there wasn't anything there before) and the two sides (there's already a rubber bumper on there but I just added this for extra padding).

Well it's been a week and I couldn't be more grateful that stupid rattle is gone. Just thought I'd pass on my experience, pics are below

I noticed this the other day. I will be trying this. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-23-22, 10:17 AM
Kirkuleez
1st Gear

Default It worked!

Hello, I know this is an old thread but I just bought a 2023 Lexus ES 300h and noticed my brand new car had an intermittent rattle noise coming from the ceiling area primarily when going over bumps. When I pushed up on the sunshade the rattle would go away even when hitting larger bumps. I came across this thread when googling sunshade rattle and figured I would try this fix before taking it the dealer because I really didn't want them tearing apart my brand new car.
I found a foam piece that had a felt lining on one side and cut four small pieces about an inch long, quarter inch thick, by a quarter inch wide. I was able to use a flat plastic pry tool I had to push the foam pieces about 3 inches in from each corner front and back into track between the the bottom of the sunshade and the bottom side of the track as shown in Romini's photos.
*Note, I was able to do this without pulling down any part of my headliner which I didn't feel comfortable doing. By not pulling down the headliner I did have to guess where the plastic tabs were which is where I tried to place my foam. I used Romini's photos as a guide to guess where the retainer tabs were. Afterwards I took a long cruise on the bumpiest roads I could find while also driving through some very bumpy parking lots. And the results were that there was no long any rattling or creaking noises whatsoever!!
Thank you Romini!!

Quick Reply: sunroof shade rattle fix