GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Moonroof rattle/wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-04, 05:44 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Moonroof rattle/wind noise

SeattleGS400 and others:

I know this issue has been discussed before, but rather than reply to an old thread resulting in everyone having to read through numerous posts to get to the point, I thought I would start a new thread. Here's the deal. Those of you who have the "creaky/poppy" moonroof problem are no doubt aware that there is a TSB (technical service bulletin) out there that supposedly will correct it. I had Lexus perform the TSB on my moonroof last week. The long and short of it is that the popping noise has gone away, but now there is more of a creaking/rattling noise. To make matters worse, apparently Lexus disassembled the roof when doing the work, and they must not have put the roof back in correctly because the wind noise (when closed) is absolutely unbearable. I guess for some reason the moonroof isn't sitting flush the way it used to. Had I known that wind noise was going to be an issue, I wouldn't have even had the procedure done! I would have just dealt with the creaking/popping noises. Does anyone know if there is something about the TSB that would cause the moonroof to not fit correctly in its place? The more I think about it, the more I'm sure that the TSB did not required removal of the moonroof. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Frustrated, e-man
Old 05-19-04, 08:46 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm, i was going to ask the dealer to do that tsb for the popping sound...but hearing this...i might not do it after all
Old 05-19-04, 11:30 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you going to return to the dealer to fix this new problem ?
Old 05-19-04, 11:40 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Yep. I'm going back later this week. I'll let you all know what they say. Hopefully, it will be an easy fix, but usually nothing is. Who knows, maybe they'll be able to make it better than it ever was, but more likely than not, I'm going to have to live with some degree of rattling. Right now, it's the wind noise that really concerns me because if wind is getting in, then water could probably get in as well.
Old 05-19-04, 01:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well let's see what they say first. my moonroof got the tsb done long time ago and i have no noise or wind noise at all. maybe they did something wrong when putting it back?
Old 05-19-04, 04:42 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The moonroof is adjustable, if your moonroof front gap is bigger than rear, you have wind noise. I had the TSB done to my roof and I got the wind noise. I went back to the dealer and they adjusted it went for a test drove, adusted it again and test drove it again. I was sitting in the waiting area and I could hear them drove my car down the street at least 5 times before they got rid of the wind noise
Old 05-19-04, 06:03 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Thanks JacobT. This is exactly why this forum is so invaluable. I thought I was alone and, low and behold, here comes JacobT to the rescue. I have an appointment to take the car in tomorrow. I will definitely let them know what you said. Thanks a ton.

e-man
Old 05-19-04, 10:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by JacobT
The moonroof is adjustable, if your moonroof front gap is bigger than rear, you have wind noise. I had the TSB done to my roof and I got the wind noise. I went back to the dealer and they adjusted it went for a test drove, adusted it again and test drove it again. I was sitting in the waiting area and I could hear them drove my car down the street at least 5 times before they got rid of the wind noise
well if i were you i would be happy about that though, at leat they are serious about getting rid of the noise
Old 05-20-04, 05:42 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been having the same problem with the crackling sound coming from the sunroof but I dont think it's anything being lose, If u rub ur fingers on the interiour roof or ur move ur nails sideways on the inside part, u can hear the little threads catching onto ur skin or nails, and it makes like a crackling sound, I think it's just something in the corner catching on the little fibers. I know when it does that I just slide it back and forth a couple times and it usually goes away.

ShOwGS
Old 06-01-04, 09:06 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got back not too long ago from a 2 week vacation (hence my lack of replies), but here's some info to help out:

Creaking/popping noises from the moonroof is unacceptable (let alone wind noise from there). The TSB doesn't require removal of the sunroof, but they may have elected to do so and put it out of alignment.

The GS sunroof is adjustable--there are shims (of about 5 different sizes) that helps to set the height of the glass moonroof (from the moonroof rail) to the main metal roof. Further, from the closed position, they can slide the glass forward-backward, and sideways. Make sure when you get the car back from the dealer, the roof glass seats properly with your metal roof--open it fully, then close it, then try tilting and closing--there should not be any gaps anywhere when closed (front, back, and side seal). If it's not 100% seated properly, you'll get an airleak, and it'll be a cause of excessive wind noise. A bad moonroof rubber seal could also be the culprit.

Other causes of wind noise, as you've found on CL are the rear sunroof drain tubes and also the undercarriage rubber plugs. Sometimes it's the door seals. But based on your info and what's been done to it, it's probably the just the alignment (front-back, side-side, and maybe vertical) of the sunroof. Let us know how it all works out.

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 06-01-04 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-02-04, 12:13 AM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

E-man: Is your car still under warranty??? If it is, take it back to the dealer.. I had the same problem like you.. Took it back to da dealer, they gave me a loaner for two days and when i returned the loaner car, i asked the advisor what was the problem and he told me "no more problem tommy, we changed the whole moonroof assembly for you" of course i left the dealer with a big happy smile. I swear longo Lexus has the best costumer service.

Tommy
Old 06-02-04, 11:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yes if it's just the tsb, no replacement of moonroof, but if warranty is still there, they have to go all the way to replace the whole thing if needed
Old 06-02-04, 08:42 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Tommy -- my car is out of warranty, but the dealer agreed to cover the TSB under warranty. Inasmuch as the TSB is what threw the moonroof out of alignment, they are covering any adjustments under warranty as well. I doubt, however, they would replace the entire assembly.

e-man