GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Head light condensation not covered in Extend Warrenty?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-04, 11:36 PM
BatKing
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Head light condensation not covered in Extend Warrenty?!

Well, I have a 98 GS400 with about 57000 miles on it now. I got it used about 3 years ago from Fremont Lexus dealer. At the time I want it to be CPO but the sales manager thinks I should get the extend warrenty (something called lexus premium or platimun warrenty.... something like that but I can't remember the exact name and I ended up payed abut $1900 for my peace of mind), for up to 7 years or 100000 miles.
About 1 and half year ago I notice there is condensation in my head light when it rains. it is not horrible but u know it is happening. but I was lazy, until my driver side power lock is not working properly recently. So i brought my car to Fremont dealer and stated my problems. at first the service manager say the condensation should be covered in the warrenty since he know there is a update for the GS head light and he knows this is a usual problem for GS. but he was not sure if the power lock is covered under the warrenty. but I got a called from the dealer one day after I turned in my car. condensation is not covered under extend warrenty but the power lock is.
I am like WTF? I thought it should all be covered in the warrenty. when I bought the extend warrenty, I thought it is just like the 4 year 48k mile factory warrenty. Any ppl has my same experience? is the dealer just BS to me for not changing the expensive head light housing? Sorry for the long post.
Old 04-03-04, 03:38 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

this is a judgement call really, some dealers will, some won't. You may have to go over their head to someone higher up and make a stink, implying that the service level is bad or you or your family/friends won't give them your future business, etc....trust me it works (they changed mine twice!)
Old 09-23-06, 08:51 AM
cmc5dc
Driver

Yes some dealers will cover it some won't. I had to make it a concern and was relentless and they did cover mine.
Old 09-23-06, 10:57 AM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BatKing
Well, I have a 98 GS400 with about 57000 miles on it now. I got it used about 3 years ago from Fremont Lexus dealer. At the time I want it to be CPO but the sales manager thinks I should get the extend warrenty (something called lexus premium or platimun warrenty.... something like that but I can't remember the exact name and I ended up payed abut $1900 for my peace of mind), for up to 7 years or 100000 miles.
About 1 and half year ago I notice there is condensation in my head light when it rains. it is not horrible but u know it is happening. but I was lazy, until my driver side power lock is not working properly recently. So i brought my car to Fremont dealer and stated my problems. at first the service manager say the condensation should be covered in the warrenty since he know there is a update for the GS head light and he knows this is a usual problem for GS. but he was not sure if the power lock is covered under the warrenty. but I got a called from the dealer one day after I turned in my car. condensation is not covered under extend warrenty but the power lock is.
I am like WTF? I thought it should all be covered in the warrenty. when I bought the extend warrenty, I thought it is just like the 4 year 48k mile factory warrenty. Any ppl has my same experience? is the dealer just BS to me for not changing the expensive head light housing? Sorry for the long post.
Beware !!! Extended warranties are not Bumber to bumper coverage like 48k warranty. It only covers tranny, A/C, motor, and electrical. Integrity in not.
Old 09-23-06, 12:07 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

For the condensation you can pull out the bulbs and point a hairdryer in there for about 15 minutes all it will go away and probably not come back.
Old 09-23-06, 01:08 PM
rkn2903
Driver School Candidate

Question

So is it woth getting a extended warranty, because I have just purchased one for $1600 3yrs unlimted miles through aaAutowarranty, and they are giving me a thirthy day trial/ comparson on my 1998 GS 400 with 83,000?
Old 09-23-06, 04:06 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,099 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by rkn2903
So is it woth getting a extended warranty, because I have just purchased one for $1600 3yrs unlimted miles through aaAutowarranty, and they are giving me a thirthy day trial/ comparson on my 1998 GS 400 with 83,000?
You have couple days to cancel with full refund.

You should read the contract. Look for what is covered and assume any thing not listed asd not covered.

Salim
Old 09-24-06, 01:39 PM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealerships have no control over extended warranites, of ANY kind. We have you vehicle diagnosed, get the part numbers and opcodes and call the warranty administrion company for authorization. We can't get them to cover or not cover anything for us or anyone.

The condensation in your head lights is may not be covered, but, the build up of STANDING WATER should be. Atleast it has been my experience. If we are dealing with Lexus Extra Care. I usually tell them there is some standning water to try and push getting them covered. They assume that your lights will do like mine did when I bought my car, and dry out. Now I have little water spots inside but no moisture.

Each time a cover or noncovered claim is called in it is documented, you may want to try the water method. They may cange their minds on covering them.

-Bill

(Just waned to throw this in, Lexus Extra Care Plat or CPO is the only company I have seen cover a headlight.)