GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Snap, crackle Pop goes my dash

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-04, 08:55 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by SilverLexo
Here's the solution to all your problems: 2 12W3's on a JL1000x1, Seperates up front, seperates in the rear well powered. You won't hear any creaking....guaranteed. Maybe a couple more rattles, but you can use dynomat for that.

LOL....my car is still under warranty...so I will get them installed and given to me free?
Old 03-26-04, 08:22 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the replies, with my center vent, dash benzel, ashtray and housing, shift level benzel all out I have no rice crispy sounds!!!! At least I know where the sounds are comming from. I will attempt with felt to eliminate one by one. Now on my other point because I feel like complaining, why should we have to do this in this caliber of a car. Once again wake up Lexus, the ES300 did the same thing, I wonder about the 65K LS430.

On a side note I checked my MPG and was shocked and thrilled to see it at 19.8 mpg!!!!! I know I am not supposed to but I use 89 octane instead of 91 but at least it is not 87. That was all stop and go driving no freeway. One thing in Houston we have no hills so that helps. I hear absolutely no pinging and really cannot tell a performance difference. When I first got it I raced it around quite a bit and only got 18.3 mph, now that I drive it "normal" it shot up.

On another side note I talked to my dealer about transmission flushes and he stated they only do the 2 quart thing on 30K intervals, they were instructed by Toyata not to flush unless the fluid appeared dirty. I told him the manual said lifetime fill and he said alot of people never change it.

The car is second to none when it comes to engine smoothness and silky smooth transmission shifts.
Old 03-29-04, 12:15 PM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Update: The problem with my center vent was not with the vent loose in the dash but the vent itself. It sounds like a giant bowl of rice cripies if you blow on it hard enough while it is sitting on my workbench. The solution was very easy. I disassebled the vent, and smeared sensor safe black RTV sealant on the connection points. Sensor safe means no odor. I reassembled and now I could drag the vent behind the car and it would make no noise!! Since this is a sealant / gasket maker and not glue I can still take the vent apart if I had to, but I doubt you ever would. It workes perfect and eliminated 75% of my complaint. The humming noise from the shift area was not the benzel but the plastic housing that snaps over the P,R,N,D cover. I took it off since it was a little loose on its retainers put some felt on and snapped it back on. No noise. The last noise in the car besided the sunroof shade it the passenger side vent. I need to remove and do the same as the center vent. I have to say, I am pleased that Lexus took alot of steps to eliminate noises, wrapped wires in foam etc but they dropped the ball on the vent.
Old 03-29-04, 12:42 PM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Update: The problem with my center vent was not with the vent loose in the dash but the vent itself. It sounds like a giant bowl of rice cripies if you blow on it hard enough while it is sitting on my workbench. The solution was very easy. I disassebled the vent, and smeared sensor safe black RTV sealant on the connection points. Sensor safe means no odor. I reassembled and now I could drag the vent behind the car and it would make no noise!! Since this is a sealant / gasket maker and not glue I can still take the vent apart if I had to, but I doubt you ever would. It workes perfect and eliminated 75% of my complaint. The humming noise from the shift area was not the benzel but the plastic housing that snaps over the P,R,N,D cover. I took it off since it was a little loose on its retainers put some felt on and snapped it back on. No noise. The last noise in the car besided the sunroof shade it the passenger side vent. I need to remove and do the same as the center vent. I have to say, I am pleased that Lexus took alot of steps to eliminate noises, wrapped wires in foam etc but they dropped the ball on the vent.
Old 03-29-04, 06:20 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
Default No more rattling noise

Well, as I said that I'll be back. I did the timing belt, drive belt, water pump, transmission flush, coolant flush this weekend. I got it back and rattling/gravel upon acceleration dissappeared: The rattling noise that sounded like it was coming behind the ac vents is gone. They tightened the whole glove box again, no felt needed, and the rattling/gravel noise is gone!!! Not sure if the coolant flush did it also, but he did say that the glove box was loose. Yay!!! Happy happy joy.
Old 03-29-04, 08:49 PM
mikeyboy
Lead Lap

one of my audiobahn 1208t's with one of my 1500hct amps will hit harder then both of those jl's on one of those amps(mind you i have two of these subs and two of these amps). not to mention i have each in a 2.5 cu ft chamber. i definitly dont hear alot of rattling considering my trunk is dynamated. i just get noises fromthe plastic cover over the dome light but a little bit of silicone takes care of that. Not to mention silicone on the back of the licenses plat and frame. you cant hear any bass outside of the car and there is no rattling really either that you can hear outside of the car.
Old 03-30-04, 12:07 PM
BostonGS4
Pole Position

my dash and guages popplockin

only in the cold, and its been cold up here
Old 03-30-04, 02:32 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally posted by mikeyboy
one of my audiobahn 1208t's with one of my 1500hct amps will hit harder then both of those jl's on one of those amps(mind you i have two of these subs and two of these amps). not to mention i have each in a 2.5 cu ft chamber. i definitly dont hear alot of rattling considering my trunk is dynamated. i just get noises fromthe plastic cover over the dome light but a little bit of silicone takes care of that. Not to mention silicone on the back of the licenses plat and frame. you cant hear any bass outside of the car and there is no rattling really either that you can hear outside of the car.
This is WAY off topic....BUT
Audiobarf? buwahhahahahaha I said W7's not W-zeros. Start a new thread titled "Audiobarf Vs. JL" and you can get opinions from others.
Old 03-30-04, 04:04 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

Angry

I had that same sound too!

Dealer replaced the entire dash assembly under warranty -- problem was gone, then they realized that the instrument cluster also needed felt. There must be 10 pounds of that stuff in my car by now!