GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tight Security on the GS, had to drill my trunk.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-04, 04:46 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tight Security on the GS, had to drill my trunk.

I was up in the mountains boarding this weekend, when my dumbass locked my keys in the trunk. I thought a tow truck driver could open my doors and pull the trunk. Man was I wrong. The guy pumped my door so it was slightly open, used a slim jim type thing to hit the door locks. The security system immediately relocked the door and disabled the locking mechanism. To make things worse (or better depending on how you look at it) the trunk latch was also disabled. I called Lexus customer service and I was told to either have someone overnight me a spare, or tow the car to the nearest dealership (100 miles away). I pleaded with the guy but he assured me those were the only two options I had to getting into my trunk without causing damage because it is so secure. The third option was to drill out the lock....well, my trunk lock is now drilled out. The locksmith took about 30 mins to drill the lock and kinda dinged up my trunk lip, but I was happy to learn that I can have a phat system in my trunk and it's really hard to get into. Now it's a perfect time to get my backup camera I've been meaning to get.
Old 02-19-04, 05:04 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: Tight Security on the GS, had to drill my trunk.

Originally posted by SilverLexo
Now it's a perfect time to get my backup camera I've been meaning to get.
Yea the security is fairly good if you want to retain the car in pristine condition (without busting out windows etc)....but remember if someone wants it; its gone
Old 02-19-04, 05:26 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: Tight Security on the GS, had to drill my trunk.

Originally posted by Letsride
Yea the security is fairly good if you want to retain the car in pristine condition (without busting out windows etc)....but remember if someone wants it; its gone
You mean take the system or the car/both? I can't find any stolen car statistics for the GS (or any lex for that matter). It's my assumtion that these cars are not stolen often, parly due to the chipped ignition system. My point is that I have a bit of piece of mind when leaving my lex somewhere, as opposed to a honda where you smash the window and have full access to the entire car, not to mention ease of hotwiring. So along with the lex security system, my aftermarket alarm, and Lojack, I feel a bit safer.

Has anyone on the forums had their car jacked (I mean completely stolen, not just broken into)?
Old 02-19-04, 05:48 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

There were 2!! One was never recovered and the other had its wheels and some other parts(I think ) stolen!! Do a search in this same forum.........
Old 02-19-04, 06:39 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thieves can use a tow truck to take the car elsewhere to do the dirty work.
Old 02-19-04, 07:29 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suspect my blue GS was the victim of a towing incident. BTW..never recovered.

If they want it bad enough...they can take it!
Old 02-19-04, 11:36 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally posted by GS4fun
I suspect my blue GS was the victim of a towing incident. BTW..never recovered.

If they want it bad enough...they can take it!
Damn, that sucks. Even lojack doesn't have complete coverage everywhere.
Old 02-20-04, 12:27 AM
Pelligrino
Driver School Candidate

my first car was stolen. I had a Acura Integra Type-R, Black, 2000, 14000 miles. Perfect condition. That was stolen outside of my house in broad daylight about 2 weeks before christmas in 2002. Sucked, but now im over that whole VTEC thing, just riding smoothly on the GS is more than enough. And its only getting better. I love this GS.
Old 02-20-04, 03:46 PM
BostonGS4
Pole Position

ITRs get stolen soooo often. see them all stripped on the side of the road a few times....sad

I had a 00 Electron blue Civic SI with like 10Gs put into it....the previous owner had it stolen from him and recovered via lo-jack and I had a group of three kids try to bust into it...but called the cops

Then the kid i sold it to had the hood ($800 kaminari CB hood), guage cluster, stereo, and other misc parts stolen out of it when it was parked in front of his house over night....they used the clasic honda trunk release trick.... same kinda way people were breaking into Acura TLs a couple years ago for the HIDs.

I was worried when I got my RMM grill that there would be some exposure on the GS, but nothing like that going on =) its solid.
Old 02-20-04, 04:35 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Strange, I had heard the GS had terrible security. The rumor was that if you forced the door lock on the car, it disabled the alarm (and unlocked the doors). Of course that would be been the end of the door lock on your car - which is probably more $ than the trunk lock.
Old 02-20-04, 09:18 PM
ballin
Pole Position

I had my keys locked in the trunk of my GS a couple of months ago. Had the locksmith unlock the driverside doors with a hanger type contraption. After the doors was open I proceeded to take out the rear seat, and backrest, and stuck my arm through a hole and pulled my keys out. It saved me a trunk repair cost.
Old 02-20-04, 09:57 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry to hear of that, but bustin out the rear side window is a lot cheaper than the rear lock cylinder and repaint of the trunk. One of the things I like best is that I always use the remote to lock the doors. This way I do not get locked out.
Old 02-21-04, 12:42 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to hear you had to do that to your ride, but didn't your car come with the wallet key - always keep that spare with you, bra!

But, I'm truly impressed by GS's Security!

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 02-21-04 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-21-04, 09:47 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally posted by ballin
I had my keys locked in the trunk of my GS a couple of months ago. Had the locksmith unlock the driverside doors with a hanger type contraption. After the doors was open I proceeded to take out the rear seat, and backrest, and stuck my arm through a hole and pulled my keys out. It saved me a trunk repair cost.
That's odd. I bet the security system was not engaged. We had a hell of a time trying to open the doors as the security system instantly locked the tab everytime we tried to pull the lock tab, and the handle itself was completely useless.
Old 11-06-06, 07:21 AM
elibutton
Rookie

Default master keys locked in trunk, unable to get it, help!

I currently have the same issue as the originator on this thread. My duma$$ locked the keys in the trunk, with the valet key in my backpack, which was in the back seat. A locksmith came over and finally unlocked the car, at which the alarm went off. I got my valet key but unable to release the trunk. The car will start and run, but cannot access the trunk. We disconnected the battery for a few minutes thinking it would be reset, this isn't the case.

I'm told I had to take it to a Lexus dealer to have them reset my security system so it will unlock and allow access to the trunk. I'm not too mechanically inclined to take out my back seat, plus I'm actually out of state now and it's w/ my girlfriend. I was actually on my way to catch a flight for work and I put my luggage in the trunk. In the end I had to catch the flight and head to Wal-Mart at 2am to buy items I needed for work. What an idiot.

Can anyone tell me if this is the only solution - take it to a Lexus dealer to undo the security? I'm assuming this will cost a primed penny too. I'd appreciate a response.

Thanks,
EB

Quick Reply: Tight Security on the GS, had to drill my trunk.