GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

dealer will not install l-tuned or TRD parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-04, 06:34 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer will not install l-tuned or TRD parts

i'm just venting here but I called sterling mccall lexus in houston,tx (where i bought my car) to ask them if they could get a hold of l-tuned or trd parts. they said they usually get one inquiry a year and i was the one person this year. after NOT getting quoted on any price i asked them if i ordered them from another dealer would they be willing to install the parts, they openly replied no. so i ask them if i got the parts from them would they install it they said no again. i was puzzled so i said where would i install them then? the guy told me you would have to go to one of those aftermarket shops, but again i asked would that not void my warranty he said yes i will void ur warranty. so told him you guys are willing to order me factory upgraded parts but NOT install them so i can keep my warranty that doesn’t sound right. sooo as of right now i have a set of trd sway bars NOT installed because the dealer will not install them. this is where my incompetence comes in i did not call any other lexus dealer yet bc its too late now so i will wait for monday to come around and start calling around again.
Old 01-03-04, 06:46 PM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW.
I asked the same question to lexus in Wayzata,MN and they stated the opposite of your dealer. Heck so did my local toyota dealer???
I am now confused?

Last edited by kutscher; 01-03-04 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-03-04, 06:58 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

any Lexus service writer that refuses to install TRD/L-Tuned parts on your ride or even claims that your warranty will be void is full of it. Take a nice drive to the next closest dealer and get the service you deserve.
Old 01-03-04, 06:59 PM
hawk
Driver

definitely try northside lexus in houston......of the 4 dealers in houston, i like them best for service......i believe all lexus dealers in houston are Group One automotive owned or leased to Group One---it could be that just lexus of clear lake and sterling mccall are the only ones that are Group One; however, the management varies greatly from dealer to dealer.....so your next best bet is austin, tx.

i think there's a guy here who is a sterling mccall preowned manager.....you should try to track him down and ask him what the deal is...
Old 01-03-04, 07:09 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Since you have several Lexus dealerships in Houston area, try the other dealerships that are 'Elite of Lexus' dealership. The other three Houston Lexus dealership all listed as 'Elite of Lexus' at their websites.
Old 01-03-04, 07:17 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is the same here in NorCal. The dealership I bought my car from wants nothing to do with aftermarket parts, even those from L-Tuned or Toyota/TRD. They won't even order them for me. Luckily, there are other dealerships here that are "mod-friendly".

Like the others said, try a different dealership. Maybe another Houston member who knows will chime in on which one to approach. Good luck.
Old 01-03-04, 08:00 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well...its the same here in Hawaii.....there's only 1 Lexus dealership for the entire state = monopoly.

They too will not order nor install L-tuned parts.....so that kinda answers about all other aftermarket parts.

Anyways....I would DIY or find a shop that will do it.
Old 01-03-04, 10:06 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Pete, I asked the same question to the service manager. They told me that there was a service tech that can refer me to an aftermarket shop to do the install. But that still won't get around the fact that this may void the warranty. So, how do we get around this and still keep the warranty in tact? (aside from the: before you take the car in, replace the parts with the factory parts)
Old 01-04-04, 01:24 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

sad part is that in the UK you can order the car nowadays with the parts installed.. they call them SPORT models

http://www.lexus.co.uk/modelrange.ph...area=modelhome
Old 01-04-04, 02:51 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by tod071
Pete, I asked the same question to the service manager. They told me that there was a service tech that can refer me to an aftermarket shop to do the install. But that still won't get around the fact that this may void the warranty. So, how do we get around this and still keep the warranty in tact? (aside from the: before you take the car in, replace the parts with the factory parts)
tod071 -

I can't think of any other way than to replace OEM parts for warranty issues.

Oh...yah...there's a mini meet at Kakaako park....2 pm on Sunday (1/4/04). Hopefully the weather holds up.

Pete
Old 01-04-04, 06:21 AM
DPGS430
Driver

Give Woody a call over @ Clear Lake Lexus. I believe he has seen this board before.

Jim
Old 01-04-04, 12:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

only thing i can say is stay away from that dealership, coz' they are bunch of retards who don't know how the law and customer service goes. you know how bad my car is modded and i always bring my car to dealership no problem
Old 01-04-04, 02:36 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow. I can't believe your Lexus dealer told you that. Not only did JM Lexus say they would install the L-tuned side skirts (even though I'm ordering them from Carson Toyota), they went over a list of possible future mods, including wheels, exhaust, and intake.

If the Lexus dealer is uncooperative, there are alternatives. I ordered L-tuned springs from Carson Toyota and had the local Meineke dealer install them. They did a beautiful job, and they warranty their work. You may want to consider something similar.
Old 01-04-04, 03:50 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Keep in mind that no matter who installs the parts it's not going to void any warranty. Your L-Tuned parts will not be covered by the factory warranty unless installed by a Lexus dealer, but that's all.
Old 01-05-04, 05:03 PM
Fa-suto
Pole Position

Hey Kutscher, I have taken my GS to Lexus Of Wayzata, MN plenty of times and they installed all my aftermarket parts with no hassles or issues. I even had my Supra brakes installed by them that I bought from Carson a while back and had them installed without once mentioning any warranty issues. They even went as far as promising to fix my brakes if I had trouble with the new installation. Now that's service.

Quick Reply: dealer will not install l-tuned or TRD parts